Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default speaking of drummers

should this be in the ot section?
    should this be in the videodrome?

well, since chasea is a musician
    and the video is about drumming style
    check out some of your favorite drummers

Watch Late Night with Jimmy Fallon Online - Fred Armisen's Drum Impressions - Zimbio

what should we know about drumming style?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: speaking of drummers

Fred Armisen actually put out a dvd that parodies instructional drum dvds. He's a talented guy, and those type of dvds are sort of asking for it, but the funniest thing about it was that someone was willing to put it out.

I think that a good drummer, as any musician, needs to have a decent set of chops. But more importantly, a musician needs to know what is appropriate and exhibit restraint. I'm not into "virtuosic" playing by anyone.

Favorite drummers:
    Zigaboo Modeliste, Clyde Stubblefield, Charlie Watts, Ahmir ?uestlove Thompson, Steve Gadd, Patrick Keeler, Stewart Copeland, and Stanton Moore. Dudes that can hold down a groove (although Copeland does have a tendency to speed up). Also dudes that can play.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Charlie Watts
    Keith Moon
    Mo Tucker
    Paul Thompson*
    DJ Bonebrake
    David Lovering
    Phil Selway
    Janet Weiss

*The single most-underrated drummer in rock history atmo
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John Bonham
    Bill Bruford
    Manu Katche
    Gene Krupa
    Simon Phillips

Not being a drummer that's all the favs I can think of at the moment. I'm sure I'm blanking out n forgetting a bunch. Oh yeah how can I not like Keith Moon.
    "Aesthetics is for artists what ornithology is for birds." Barnett Newman

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travis Barker. I like it loud, fast, and hard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Classics from my era, Cozy Cole and Gene Krupa: Gene Krupa - Cozy Cole

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh my god. I somehow managed to leave Earl Palmer off of my list. He drummed for EVERYBODY.
    Like, seriously. Little Richard, Fats Domino, Sinatra, The Monkees, The Flintstones, The Beach Boys, The Byrds, The Righteous Bros, Ike and Tina, The Mamas and The Papas, Tim Buckley, Elvis Costello, Tom Waits. Everybody.
    This man invented the backbeat. That is not an exaggeration.
    Invented. The. Backbeat.

That intro to Zepplin's Rock and Roll? Yeah, go back and listen to Little Richard's "I Hear You Knocking." Earl Palmer.

Other notables: Ron Tutt, Glenn Kotche, Baby Dodds, Tony, Papa Jo.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steve Gadd lives in the town that I grew up in, outside of Rochester NY. My first encounter with him was when I was working as a delivery guy at Pontillo's Pizza and had to deliver a pie and some wings to the Gadd household on a cold winter night--I must have been 17 or 18 years old, so we're talking 1993-ish, here. Steve answers the door, tells me he needs to find his wallet, and says "it's cold out there, you should come in and wait by the fire." I go in to the living room, where his wife/girlfriend/mistress/whoever is lying naked on the rug in front of the fireplace with a glass of wine. So, Steve asks "are you feeling the heat?" or some other cheesy ass line like that, I turn a deep deep shade of red, and excuse myself to wait out on the porch. He gave me a really big tip.

I never knew who he was prior to that, but once I was aware of him, I realized he was the weird old dude who would often come out and smoke pot with all the stoner kids at the Canal Park on summer nights. I know now that he was a session musician who played with just about everyone, but all of us stoners at the Canal Park just referred to him as "the drummer from Steely Dan." We fucking loved Steely Dan though, so we were pretty stoked.
    Last edited by chasea; 03-03-2011 at 12:04 AM. Reason: Because I meant to hit "reply with quote" and I'm and idiot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Thompson View Post
    Classics from my era, Cozy Cole and Gene Krupa: Gene Krupa - Cozy Cole

GK was my hero growing up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by C.Dyer View Post
    I never knew who he was prior to that, but once I was aware of him, I realized he was the weird old dude who would often come out and smoke pot with all the stoner kids at the Canal Park on summer nights. I know now that he was a session musician who played with just about everyone, but all of us stoners at the Canal Park just referred to him as "the drummer from Steely Dan." We fucking loved Steely Dan though, so we were pretty stoked.
    He's also a cyclist.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@C.Dyer

Dude, I am SO sorry. This is the second time I've meant to "reply with a quote" and wound up actually editing someone's post out of sheer stupidity. I left what i could. Does anyone know how to get C.Dyer's original post back? Is there a Moderating for Dummies book somewhere?
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PM to Too Tall sent to see if we can get any of C Dyer's original post back. Fire away with the stupid drummer jokes.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by weirdo View Post
    GK was my hero growing up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I went to see him play a bunch of times when I stayed a summer in New York for a summer. Hot stuff!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From AllMusic: A supportive drummer, Snooks Friedman led Snooks and his Memphis Stompers, a spirited group that recorded 42 titles during 1931-32. Friedman started playing professionally in the summer of 1923 with the Ole Miss Jesters. He picked up experience with the bands of Meyer Davis and Hip Bennett (in Arkansas and Wisconsin respectively), recording with the latter. In 1926 he returned to his hometown and organized the Memphis Stompers. Under that name, Friedman recorded six titles in 1928 in Memphis and two in Camden, New Jersey in 1929. The band, originally a sextet, grew to ten pieces by the time it relocated to New York in late-1928. A flexible group that could play both hot jazz and infectious dance music, it worked at many of the major theatres (including a six-month run at Roseland). In 1931 with the addition of a string quartet, the band started what would be three years at the Paramount Hotel. They also appeared in a few now-obscure Warner Brothers movie shorts and provided background music for some of the Dave and Max Fleischer cartoons. Although they made no further recordings after 1932, Snooks Friedman's band stayed active in New York until the beginning of World War II. Friedman eventually returned home and spent several years in the Navy. After the war ended, he put together a dixieland band in Memphis that played regularly at the Silver Slipper Night Club (which he ran after 1951) until the club was destroyed in a 1958 fire. Up until his retirement in 1972, Snooks Friedman remained active around town, playing with his own group and occasionally as a sideman. The Parklane label came out with a CD in the mid-1990's that contains 22 selections by Snooks and His Memphis Stompers and one numbers from his 1928 band.

Somewhere in the midwest, 2006.

This kit was the one given to him by Ludwig in 1958 after his club burned down. It has stayed in the family and landed with me. The snare drum is a Super 400. Predecessor to the Ludwig Supraphonic, the most recorded snare drum in history, the Super 400 was made for only 3 years. It featured both chrome over brass shells and hoops. After 1961/2 the hoops for these drums were made of of steel and the name changed. The inside of the kit's shells are stamped Oct 25 1958. The snare came with the kit. This means that this is one of the very first of these very rare drums ever produced. The snare drum is here with me in New York. The rest of the kit was cleaned up after one last tour and stored at my parents' house. It went unplayed for three years. Until....

Dec 26, 2010. I got a chance to play them again. Forgot how GOOD the bass drum sounds. The snare in this picture is my 70's Acrolite, btw.
    Then the blizzard hit NYC. My flight back got cancelled. We did another gig, this time for free. And I got a chance to play them one more time.

I love these drums.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got some homework to do because I"m stealing all of this.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)