User Tag List

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: the art of shaving (your face)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: the art of shaving (your face)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    My world is shattered, you mean to tell me there is something better than Feather DE blades? Exactly what the he!! am I to do with the stack I currently posess? Thanks alot!!!
    They're still sharp enough to slit your wrists.

Do you try new frames all the time (silly question on this forum)? Try the PolSilvers. I've used them. TT, it's a grass is greener thing. They have a slightly different honing but it's just different, not necessarily better. Not bad at all, just a different feel from Feathers. I think that Feathers don't take off the slight residual bur on the blade, and PolSilver's do that a little more. After a shave, a Feather and a PolSilver get a lot closer to the same feel and I like a Feather a bit better right up to the end of its life, though the first shave might be a little smoother with the ProSilver. Either one will do your wrists just fine, whether from disappointment at betraying an old lover or from disappointment that you didn't find the grass greener.
    Lane DeCamp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL, buy in to find out is bubbkes. It's the not knowing that kills. I'll give them a shot, so to speak and hey it's summertime. Suicide can wait until the first snowfall, talk to me than.

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    A belated "Amen to that!"

I decided to ditch the 17 blade wunder-cartridge that I've been using for several years in favor of a DE safety razor. Read through the B&B blade forums this weekend and settled on the Merkur 33c. I wanted to see the thing in the flesh so I headed over to AofS because it's near my home. They want $55 for a razor that's available online with little or no searching for $35. I told the salesman that it can be had for nearly half price online and he responded "Yup."

Eff them.

What say yee to West Coast Shaving? I'm a one-stop shopping kinda guy and they look like they have reasonable prices.
    I'm *holds up fingers* this close to pulling the trigger on a Double Edge setup. Same old story... I've been using the disposable cartridge crap since the beginning. I can no longer tolerate the cash they get for a handful of refills that are marginal at best. I had a standoff at target a couple weeks ago that resulted in me getting the cheaper disposable razors instead of my usual refills. What a mistake. The cheap razors are so shitty, The first shave is intolerable and the second is a no-go.

Anyway, since then I've been spending way too much time on badger and blade. My head is spinning. Just when I think I have it narrowed down, I read another thread. I'm about to say eff it and grow a full beard.

First, I was dead set on a Merkur 23c. Then I actually bid on a futur (largely because Too Tall liked it - its also in a non-polished finish) or two that was on the Bay. Then I had it in my head that a I needed a Parker 22r (admittedly, the gunmetal aesthetic appeals to me - not a fan of Chrome silver anything.) Next, I got all worked up about the Razorock stuff from italianbarber.com. Now I'm leaning toward an EJ89. I've had so many different things in various "carts" over the past few days, it's ridiculous. Just shoot me...Or slit my wrists at least.

Any words of wisdom from a guy who just made this leap to a guy that's about to jump?
    Bill Showers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so...curious...my legs are just as sensitive to razors as my face, though less sensitive to shaving cream/ lotion. what do y'all use on your legs? same razor or something different?
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BShow View Post
    I'm *holds up fingers* this close to pulling the trigger on a Double Edge setup. Same old story... I've been using the disposable cartridge crap since the beginning. I can no longer tolerate the cash they get for a handful of refills that are marginal at best. I had a standoff at target a couple weeks ago that resulted in me getting the cheaper disposable razors instead of my usual refills. What a mistake. The cheap razors are so shitty, The first shave is intolerable and the second is a no-go.

Anyway, since then I've been spending way too much time on badger and blade. My head is spinning. Just when I think I have it narrowed down, I read another thread. I'm about to say eff it and grow a full beard.

First, I was dead set on a Merkur 23c. Then I actually bid on a futur (largely because Too Tall liked it - its also in a non-polished finish) or two that was on the Bay. Then I had it in my head that a I needed a Parker 22r (admittedly, the gunmetal aesthetic appeals to me - not a fan of Chrome silver anything.) Next, I got all worked up about the Razorock stuff from italianbarber.com. Now I'm leaning toward an EJ89. I've had so many different things in various "carts" over the past few days, it's ridiculous. Just shoot me...Or slit my wrists at least.

Any words of wisdom from a guy who just made this leap to a guy that's about to jump?
    I made the leap to safety razors 10 years ago but only about a year ago to the Merkur Futur. My advice is just do it! It's a better shave, cost effective, easier on your face and your manliness quotient increases even while shaving your legs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I made the leap to safety razors 10 years ago but only about a year ago to the Merkur Futur. My advice is just do it! It's a better shave, cost effective, easier on your face and your manliness quotient increases even while shaving your legs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been shaving my face with a DE razor for years, but still stick my a "woman's multi-blade" razor for my legs. Why? A DE can cause a lot of blood loss, especially when you need to manipulate across uneven contours like tendons and kneecaps and would scare me as I try to contort to get my hammies area.

Quote Originally Posted by -Dustin View Post
    so...curious...my legs are just as sensitive to razors as my face, though less sensitive to shaving cream/ lotion. what do y'all use on your legs? same razor or something different?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's like finding the right saddle/bibs... you need to spend some time trying different razors and blades. Best thing is to get on B&B and flip what doesn't work for you. I own a Futur as well, but wouldn't consider it a beginner friendly razor FYI.

For legs I just use one of the disposable lady ones. Quick and easy. It can be done, but it's a bit too slow for my taste.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sadly I can not manage to shave my legs with a DE without taking alot of time to do so...it is possible but I cave when it comes to 20 yards of manly leg.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh boy... I went to google to find a link to the Gillette Body razor, which has been great for legs. There is an entire youtube channel about "Male Grooming" suffice it to say after about 30sec I no longer feel weird about shaving my legs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=11.4;685557] it's a grass is greener thing. They have a slightly different honing but it's just different, not necessarily better. Not bad at all, just a different feel from Feathers. I think that Feathers don't take off the slight residual bur on the blade, and PolSilver's do that a little more. After a shave, a Feather and a PolSilver get a lot closer to the same feel and I like a Feather a bit better right up to the end of its life, though the first shave might be a little smoother with the ProSilver.

Great points, Lane. Especially the one about the two being similar after a shave or two. I'm going to try that out for myself. I'm several shave in with this current ProSilver blade and this morning's effort was just as nice as I recall the first one being.

I don't see it as a grass is greener thing because all faces are different, so can't be compared straight up. Like saddles. It's more of a different strokes for different folks thing. I'm sure plenty of folks prefer the Feather over the ProSilver. But I have also noted the ProSilver seems to stay usably sharp longer than the Feather, and that's a very tangible thing. It's not a huge difference, but even a few shaves add up over time.

I got no dog in this fight (which isn't really any sort of fight!). Just reporting on my experience. It was this forum that helped me decide to make the switch, so I was hoping to offer a little piece back. Like TT said, the not knowing can be maddening. It's also fun experimenting!
    Harth Huffman
    www.wabiwoolens.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

To Harth and TT,

I really omitted one of the most important points here when considering ProSilvers and Feathers. I guess I expected that anyone on this thread would be sophisticated enough in cycling matters to address it without further comment.

It's really important to unpackaged your blades and lay them out in a dark, ozone-free, temperature controlled cabinet for at least six months. Mounting them individually in razors does help the process, and curing for over a year is preferred. Be sure to surround them with desiccant to avoid any corrosion and a thin coat of shellac right before you start using a blade is recommended for greatest longevity.
    Lane DeCamp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
    To Harth and TT,

I really omitted one of the most important points here when considering ProSilvers and Feathers. I guess I expected that anyone on this thread would be sophisticated enough in cycling matters to address it without further comment.

It's really important to unpackaged your blades and lay them out in a dark, ozone-free, temperature controlled cabinet for at least six months. Mounting them individually in razors does help the process, and curing for over a year is preferred. Be sure to surround them with desiccant to avoid any corrosion and a thin coat of shellac right before you start using a blade is recommended for greatest longevity.
    What's next? Are you going to tell us how to tie our shoes? Of course, everyone knows to do this to their blades. Don't they?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Goodrich View Post
    What's next? Are you going to tell us how to tie our shoes? Of course, everyone knows to do this to their blades. Don't they?
    Jeez, Curt, I once wrote something like 2000 words in a post here on the correct knots to use for repairing tubulars. So do I have to do shoelaces as well? Didn't your mother teach you anything?

And I'm sure that not everyone here knew to prepare their double edge blades properly. I bet there are some who saw they were stainless and thought that was like vulcanizing on tubulars. Christ, why does everyone have to think life is so simple?
    Lane DeCamp

Appleton WI -- home of Harry Houdini and Rocky Bleier
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wisco View Post
    I'm a loyal Merkur and Feather user for 3 years now, but after many iterations have settled on Proraso pre-shave, shave cream and post-shave balm. Nothing fancy, moderate cost and easy to find on the Interwebs. In a pinch, their shave cream is private labeled for The Body Shop, so you can emergency reload at the Mall if you need to. A single large tube of shave cream can last 6-8 months or more.

The most important improvement I found in my shaving experience was use of a pre-shave oil or now Proraso "beard softener" prior to shave cream/brush. The blade glides easier and without as much drama. The second most important element is applying a second coat of shave cream to then clean up high density whisker areas (chin) and funny angle whisker areas (bottom of throat area). Shave with the grain first and sideways or against with the second coat and you're as smooth as a baby's butt. I will check out the Polsilver blade option. Thanks pdxharth for the tip!
    I come back to this thread every once in a while and there's always goodness here. I think I'll give your pre-shave softener recommendation, Wiso. Proraso is good stuff! Also will be checking out the Polsilver blades as well.

Thanks, forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -Dustin View Post
    Double edge razor. Admittedly not the same one I use on my mug.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The n + 1 rule applies to shavers as well. While my Merkur is great, I'm thinking I need something a little more aggressive to achieve a smoother shave. Might be my face, or I might have to try those Polsilver blades.

Shaving soap is worlds better than any foam or gel or my old standby, whatever bar soap I had on hand.

I recommend getting a "starter set" from your favorite shaving site. Many offer a variety of blades to try out along with the shaver, brush and soap.

Then, there's always the "Classic and Vintage" route; buying old razors at antique shops. I've got a couple of old Gillette butterfly adjustable razors but they aren't as good as my Merkur.

Don't overthink your first purchase because you will buy more. And that first one will still be miles ahead of any razor you've used before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bbattle View Post
    The n + 1 rule applies to shavers as well. While my Merkur is great, I'm thinking I need something a little more aggressive to achieve a smoother shave. Might be my face, or I might have to try those Polsilver blades.

Shaving soap is worlds better than any foam or gel or my old standby, whatever bar soap I had on hand.

I recommend getting a "starter set" from your favorite shaving site. Many offer a variety of blades to try out along with the shaver, brush and soap.

Then, there's always the "Classic and Vintage" route; buying old razors at antique shops. I've got a couple of old Gillette butterfly adjustable razors but they aren't as good as my Merkur.

Don't overthink your first purchase because you will buy more. And that first one will still be miles ahead of any razor you've used before.
    Thanks. Oh, I'm over thinking all right... its what I do when I make any purchase for myself. It's my super power actually.

I've worn myself down though and I'm slowly collecting the necessary bits. I picked up a Parker 22R, but have no blades. Visiting the local growers market on Saturday, I stumbled upon a local lady who was selling her shave soap in a kit with a brush. So now I have some soap and an Omega Boar brush. I've started using the brush to lather up my standard Nivea gel, mostly to get used to using a brush while breaking it in. I'm fully aware that this is a N+1 proposition, so I will likely buy a starter kit comprised of some soaps, a cheap badger brush for comparison, a different razor and a blade sampler. Italianbarber.com is the likely source and I'll probably stick with his razorock line for that order/kit when I get around to placing it this week. It's too bad that this kind of stuff is so hard to find locally.

I'm hesitant to go vintage until I have an idea what I like. If I happen to see stuff in my travels, I'll grab it, but it's so rare that I find myself in a thrift shop or flea market that it's highly unlikely.
    Bill Showers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well... my first DE shave went down last night. I dont know what the hell I'm doing when it comes to lathering a puck of soap. I need to work on it for sure. I forced the shave with shitty lather and that was a mistake. My neck is nice and irritated this morning. No slices though, so there's that!

On a side note, I was at the dermatologist the other day and while sitting there in the exam room waiting for doc, I noticed some little blue packets contained neatly on the her workstation. Idle hands and all... curiousity got the best of me and I go in for a closer look. Sure enough, they're DE blades. I hope doc doesn't mind, but I helped myself to a couple of them. Turns out these US made Personna medicals are a prized blade in the safety razor world. Might as well start with the bar set high!
    Bill Showers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Polsilver mini-review.

They are exactly as described, Feather with an extra level of sharpness/comfort. Less whisker tug and an effortless glide. Thumbs up on them... except for one caveat.

They are good for "daily growth" but do not fare as well with "3-day stubble" especially high density whisker areas like my chin. Here I felt some tugging and the blade clogged. Changing shaving technique to shorter strokes and more frequent blade rinsing helped, but I think these guys are both sharper and not as sharp as the Feather Brand. Does this make any sense?