User Tag List

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: the art of shaving (your face)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: the art of shaving (your face)

I was using Dr. bronner's space cadet soap on my mug for a while then some fancy oil. Nothing keeps me bump and ingrown hair free like barbasol tho.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Late to the party but came with a bang versus a whimper: Feather AS D2, Feather blades, butterscotch Simpson D3 Manchurian, Tabac soap, and Old Spice original aftershave. Three shaves down and it keeps getting better in 2" stroke increments. I love the visceral crunch of blade slicing through hairs and the splash at the end. I regret not making the jump decades ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    Late to the party but came with a bang versus a whimper: Feather AS D2, Feather blades, butterscotch Simpson D3 Manchurian, Tabac soap, and Old Spice original aftershave. Three shaves down and it keeps getting better in 2" stroke increments. I love the visceral crunch of blade slicing through hairs and the splash at the end. I regret not making the jump decades ago.
    Warms me heart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Warms me heart.
    Talk to me about Proraso pre-shave cream, do you use it? I just had coffee with a buddy who calls it a game changer .. eucalyptus or sandalwood pick your poison

For the record, he also recommends the Twig leaf razor for tight spots like under the nose. My friend's old man was a barber so he inherited his kit about 7 years ago

Full disclosure: we may need to get Tyler on the job to weld us the first ever Firefly DE safety razors

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Talk to me about Proraso pre-shave cream, do you use it? I just had coffee with a buddy who calls it a game changer .. eucalyptus or sandalwood pick your poison

For the record, he also recommends the Twig leaf razor for tight spots like under the nose. My friend's old man was a barber so he inherited his kit about 7 years ago

Full disclosure: we may need to get Tyler on the job to weld us the first ever Firefly DE safety razors
    Proraso is good if you want to do the lather/brush/etc... experience and want the history of using a cream with history. I think there are better shave soaps and creams in the "lather" category. I have some fancy shave soap and use the brush sometimes just cause, but as far as results - Cremo is tops for me.

Cremo doesn't really work into a lather, doesn't need the brush, and is super slick. The Cremo reserve bourbon is good for getting a great shave and pretty quick. They now have a great shave stick that is part of my travel Dopp kit that makes even the Mach 3 pretty alright. Their pricing is pretty alright. My combo is still Timeless Brass (thanks guys), feather blades, and Cremo reserve. Basically like shaving with a laser beam that makes you want to drink bourbon afterwards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hollis, this is a horses for courses thing. You need to have a shelf full of failed trials before you land on what works for yourself. I've been the course and for ages have fallen in love with using a soft badger brush and create a lather directly in a mug where I stuff my favorite shaving soap. Current favorite is Mitchell's Wool Fat shaving soap. When I'm on the run I switch to no scent Kiss my face lotion and apply that directly to my face. Both are stellar methods.

LOL boy howdy I'd be all in for a better way to get those pesky under the schnozzola whiskers. Careful use of a MAP gas torch has mixed results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Hollis,
    The Proraso is good.
    My recent fav is Barbershop soap from Shannon Soaps.
    They make a bug variety of soaps.
    https://www.shannonssoaps.com/barber...ving-soap.html

I must say that I hate shaving.
    The best thing about Covid is that I got to quit altogether for a year !
    Santa Goes for Ride copy.jpg
    Mark Walberg
    Building bike frames for fun since 1973.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've found the RazoRock shaving soap tough to beat.
    I think the Mudder Focker is my favorite flavor, to-date.

I also mix in their after-shave splashes and use one of their DE razors (Mamba). MUCH prefer that over the heads I had tried prior (started with an Edwin Jagger, then a Merkur and finally the Mamba). Coming up on 7 years of happy grooming in this manner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think the question above was about the Proraso PRE-shave. I have no experience with it but curious too.

as for the horses for courses, I have to confess I'm not wild about Mitchell's wool fat. It's ok and seems to be non-drying, just not my fave. Proraso is good and affordable to try. I prefer the White/Sensitive Skin then Green/Refreshing (mint/eucalyptus) over the Red/Sandalwood. I guess Cremo has its place too--very slick--but I definitely prefer a brush (Boar, in my case; not as soft as badger but more exfoliating/cheaper) and soap or cream.
    am I the only Marvin?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Somewhat OT but I'm genuinely curious if the majority in this thread drive automatic cars?

I haven't owned a car for almost 20 years but if I had to buy a Lesbaru tomorrow or the handful of times a year I rent, I only drive a stick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Somewhat OT but I'm genuinely curious if the majority in this thread drive automatic cars?

I haven't owned a car for almost 20 years but if I had to buy a Lesbaru tomorrow or the handful of times a year I rent, I only drive a stick.
    Drop for 20. You know why.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You haven’t lived until you’ve lathered up a mug and brush while sitting behind the wheel of a self-driving Tesla.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by J_B View Post
    You haven’t lived until you’ve lathered up a mug and brush while sitting behind the wheel of a self-driving Tesla.
    is your name George Jetson?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use a Merkur Classic shaver. Feather blades are my favorite and I've tried at least 20 different brands. An Edwin Jagger badger brush and way too many soaps to count.

There are a ton of websites dealing with safety razor shaving and they usually include straight razors for the brave.

I had been using a Trak II razor for decades before I lost the razor handle and there was no replacement available. I wasn't going to go with the rather silly looking 4,5,∞ blade razors where the blades are kept locked up because they were so expensive. I tried the ol' double edge and have never looked back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like Gillette have completely jumped the shark with their latest handle. The blades look the same as before and I do like that one with the rotating head. The handle looks nice - but there's no way I'm buying something called "hypebeast".

It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kdawg View Post
    The handle looks nice - but there's no way I'm buying something called "hypebeast".
    5-blade razors are the equivalent of mini vans for your face.

Hypebeast is the partner (sneaker and clothing fashion brand) and not the razor name per se as the company's first dip into men's grooming.

No thanks though. DE for life tatt across my chest.

A few data points, a friend let me borrow his daily driver one-side-open-comb-and-one-side-closed DE (old Gilette knockoff that he inherited from his barber old man) plus Proraso green pre shave cream and a box of 5 Astra made in Russia blades. Put me in the category "I don't know what the hell this product does" for Proraso pre-shave but it doesn't hurt. I'm happy to order a 300 ml tub and keep using it, though be careful getting eucalyptus / menthol up your nostrils. As a Feather blade user, I was surprised that I had no qualms whatsoever with the Astra blades. I was expecting them to suck big time but they got the job done. I did shave with minimal growth so it didn't have much work to do but I thought the blade performed well.

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kdawg View Post
    This looks like my Dyson. Although I dig the stealth look over my purple one.
    Bill Showers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A friend borrowed my Feather AS-D2 over the weekend. His report:

I was really impressed with the precision and overall quality feel in hand. I wasn't thinking that the €200 entry point was going to make any difference but I have to swallow my pride and give props to the Japanese for machining a beautiful tool that performs its function effortlessly. Pleasurable shaving with no cuts. BBS and clean. The only quibble maybe it's a touch heavy from what I'm used to.

Fwiw the weight and balance of the Feather is what I love most, but he lent me his Merkur Futur and suggested I try it on setting 4 (6 being the most aggressive). I just took his Merkur for a test drive with a new soap and hemostatic gel. My review:

Merkur Futur
    Not impressed with the spring loaded top nor feel in hand. However the shave is outstanding and this was with an Astra blade that was dragging. The shave was brilliant — I really noticed a difference in aggressiveness coming from my Feather AS-D2 — but I didn't enjoy the feel of the razor in hand although the shave was superb.

Haslinger Sheepsmilk shaving soap
    Outstanding soap. No overwhelming scent and brilliant performance. Feels better than Tabac but my one gripe is that it comes in a 60g tin and I can envision the puck running out before my first lather. Whereas I feel my 100g Tabac puck will last forever by comparison. Very smooth and eloquent. Almost understated but no slouch on performance. Very impressed.

Proraso green after shave repair gel
    I haven't tried an alum block nor styptic pencil yet but I put a tiny bit of Proraso gel on a cut on my neck which promptly vanished. I dabbed whatever was left on my finger around one or two spots of microscopic surface nicks which also disappeared instantly. The tube isn't large but I think it will last awhile and this gel will be in my shaving kit definitely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Executive Shaving All Natural Pre-Shave Oil
    Handmade in Scotland using natural ingredients. A photographer let me borrow his spray can which was purchased in Glasgow, hand-delivered to a yoga teacher in Luxembourg, and then carried to my friend in Barcelona. The lengths people will go to save customs fees and exorbitant shipping rates. I put a squirt in my palm and massaged the product over my face and neck. The oil has a much more refined feeling than Proraso's pre-shave cream. Shaving wise I'm not sure it made any difference. Pre shaves are like a hot towel before a meal: while it doesn't make the food taste better it sure feels nice. I think the goal of these products is to make you feel pampered like you're flying first class. One benefit of this particular oil, which has a cult following around forums, is that it won't clog your razor with a lot of gunk. I thought Executive Shaving's pre-shave oil was just OK so I won't spring for it for I recently bought a 300ml tub of Proraso green pre-shave cream.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey I know this is a face thread but I have a desire to almost shave my head. I wanna buzz off as much as I can but leave the minimum. Think putting green.

What appliances would you recommend for a first-timer?