User Tag List

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: the art of shaving (your face)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: the art of shaving (your face)

I've gone all in: 3 straights, a couple of strops and a big pile of rocks to hone on. I bought a cheap vintage razor to practice honing on and after a million or so laps (slight amount of hyperbole there, but only slight) it actually shaves pretty darned well. I'm about 10 shaves in on straight razors and no calls to 911 or a plastic surgeon required and getting a great shave. A few minor scrapes and nicks but the learning curve was actually a lot less steep than I thought.

I'm diggin' the ritual and enjoying shaving more than I have in years. The mechanical nature of honing to a sharp edge also appeals to me in the same way building a wheel does.
    Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greg, you are the man.

This morning for the first time in a couple years I pulled out the Merkur Futur and it really is a good razor. It is much more aggressive than the feather SS DE, nice shave yo. Highly recommended.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much fun do you have with your brush? --> OMEGA, shaving brushes, badger shaving brush

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just shaved my face for the first time in over a year. Feels great, and foreign. My wife is happy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone talk to me about brushes.

I've been shaving with a Merkur almost a year and have really grown to enjoy the process (HATED shaving my whole life). I'm using C.O. Bigelow (Proraso) shave cream, but still lather with my fingers. I need/want a brush but don't have time to dig around the shaving forums to figure it out.

Talk to me, what do I need? I don't need anything fancy, max $100!
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will plug the Vie Long horsehair brushes. Horsehair became unpopular due to anthrax in the 20s (seriously...) but we know how to clean that stuff off now. For some reason horsehair never has made it back. It's somewhere in between a badger and a boar hair brush for stiffness, makes a really nice lather and are way cheaper than most other options.

Also, if it matters, the horses just get a hair cut, so much more animal friendly.

I got mine from here, which seems to be one of the larger Vie Long dealers in the states.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 for Vie Long, I love mine and use it all the time. I no longer own any badger, these have a nice firm feel to them and lather up a storm with any soap.

My other choice is a Semogue boar brush. Take a bit to break in and needs to be soaked beforehand (unlike horse), but it's a fantastic brush. They can be found for very cheap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Horsehair is too rough for my tendah face. Boars hair is great. Jason, badger and brush (?) forum has a BST section where I've scored two very find brushes used for not alot of cash you might give that a shot.

For instance: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthr...Blonde-Badger?

FWIIW we are traveling and am using Kiss my face unscented shave lotion with a small travel boars hair brush and it's most excellent. I put a dab on the brush and lather in my hand. Mitchell's woolfat is still my go to mug soap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Horsehair is too rough for my tendah face.
    Which one did you use?

I have the 13061 from the link posted above by spopepro.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The horse hair brushes look great. I've been using low end stuff found locally.
    As an aside, I've been shaving with my Hart Steel straight razor for almost a year now. I've never enjoyed shaving more. I'm finally getting the hang of the honing process too, now that I've aquired all the proper stones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I've been a long time (20 years) soap and brush user and in the last 8-10 years I started using an old Gillette safety razor. I tried many different soaps and all were fine but not great. As per Too Tall's recommendation I started using Mitchell's Wool Fat soap and it really is the bee's knees. When Too Tall heard about my use of the old razor handle he took it upon himself to send me his extra Merkur Futur. I was flattered and grateful for such a generous gift but honestly didn't think I'd notice a difference. I was wrong. The Merkur is in another league and I love it! Good bye old Gillette razor. You introduced me to the vastly superior shaving experience of safety razors. Thank you and now I've moved on to something even better. Thank you Too Tall!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still need to pick up a brush but am a bit daunted by the process. Someone 'splain to me knot/loft/handle sizing. I just need a plain-Jane average brush...I think...
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by musgravecycles View Post
    I still need to pick up a brush but am a bit daunted by the process. Someone 'splain to me knot/loft/handle sizing. I just need a plain-Jane average brush...I think...
    Lurk at Badger and Blade BST section and snap up someone's used Badger brush that looks good to you. Hard to miss really if you buy quality. I personally like shorter brushes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

used shaving stuff seems kinda icky.
    kinda like buying used underwear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by omnigrid View Post
    used shaving stuff seems kinda icky.
    kinda like buying used underwear.
    You'd think right? Brushes are easy to make squeaky clean. I've purchased two used brushes from B&B both were fastidiously cleaned prior to arriving but than again I don't use paper towels to open public bathroom doors either so there you go. We all have barriers to entry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a few brushes and the best for me is a $50 badger brush that I got from Straight Razor Designs. I will look up the actual name if you like, but pretty much everything on that site is great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since my earlier post to this thread was almost a year ago, I thought I'd update it. I've shaved exclusively with straights since my last post. I've got a pretty decent of straight razors ranging from cheap to expensive, old and new and in various widths and grinds all stored in two very nice Thiers-Issard 7 day boxes. Although I use them all, I've found that I prefer wider (6/8 to 8/8) blades, especially when I've gone more than 2 days without shaving. I rarely if ever cut myself, at most a small nick, and I've never cut myself all that badly usually a dab of alum is all it takes to seal it. Usually do a couple of passes for that BBS feel but occasionally get lazy and just do one pass - still a pretty good shave.

I still have several DE's that I mostly use when I travel but at home it's straights exclusively.

I used to hate shaving. One of those vapid time wasters (like cutting the grass). Now I actually enjoy both the process and the result.

If you've not tried proper wet shaving, you owe it to yourself to give it a shot. Life's to short to claw away at your face with a cheap plastic razor or (gasp) an electric.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Serottas View Post
    I've gone all in: 3 straights, a couple of strops and a big pile of rocks to hone on. I bought a cheap vintage razor to practice honing on and after a million or so laps (slight amount of hyperbole there, but only slight) it actually shaves pretty darned well. I'm about 10 shaves in on straight razors and no calls to 911 or a plastic surgeon required and getting a great shave. A few minor scrapes and nicks but the learning curve was actually a lot less steep than I thought.

I'm diggin' the ritual and enjoying shaving more than I have in years. The mechanical nature of honing to a sharp edge also appeals to me in the same way building a wheel does.
    Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That IS a good report. Nice to hear someone appreciate the Art of slowing down. Well done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 4Serottas View Post
    Since my earlier post to this thread was almost a year ago, I thought I'd update it. I've shaved exclusively with straights since my last post. I've got a pretty decent of straight razors ranging from cheap to expensive, old and new and in various widths and grinds all stored in two very nice Thiers-Issard 7 day boxes. Although I use them all, I've found that I prefer wider (6/8 to 8/8) blades, especially when I've gone more than 2 days without shaving. I rarely if ever cut myself, at most a small nick, and I've never cut myself all that badly usually a dab of alum is all it takes to seal it. Usually do a couple of passes for that BBS feel but occasionally get lazy and just do one pass - still a pretty good shave.

I still have several DE's that I mostly use when I travel but at home it's straights exclusively.

I used to hate shaving. One of those vapid time wasters (like cutting the grass). Now I actually enjoy both the process and the result.

If you've not tried proper wet shaving, you owe it to yourself to give it a shot. Life's to short to claw away at your face with a cheap plastic razor or (gasp) an electric.

Yes, this is my experience exactly. Same timeline even. I've used one Hart Steel razor since the get-go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just did my first shave with a straight razor
    old one i got off of ebay
    had a few whetstones, got a few more and a strop
    ok shave, not great, doesn't help that i'd gone a few days without shaving which always makes the shave a little more irritating
    i think the edge on my razor is fine, my technique of the actual shave is what needs work...but nothing more than a few nicks and some reddish skin...
    i think i can probably say FU to buying expensive cartridges a few times a month now