User Tag List

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: the art of shaving (your face)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: the art of shaving (your face)

Just did more research. I need to lap and flatten my stone prior to use, not just after it is worn. Dang, cost is increasing...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by miwuksurfer View Post
    Tried to hone my SR for the first time and effed up my bevel. I think I need to just spend more time with it. Wade, what stones and grits are you using. I picked up a Norton 4k/8k but I think it was overkill for my barely dull razor.
    I only have an amber Belgian stone, provided to me by a retired barber who remembers when i paid folks to cut my hair. He pulled out a box full of stones and let me have my pick. Since I'm working with old stuff it was a gamble to get something that fine, but I can do "dirty work" with my other sharpening system.

Yes, the 4/8k Norton is a good first stone, but i don't have one yet. And heck yeah, you've got to keep 'em flat.

Beginner's Guide to Honing - Straight Razor Place Wiki

lookat "gssixgun" Glenn's vids on youtube. (Skip the one with Mark/Speedster at first). Glenn shows new stone prep, maintenance and all things wrt honing.

Glenn says you can shave straight offa the 8k (after stropping). The yellow/amber Belgian is est to be 8-10k. It's fine enough for me for now.

I've got one razor from an estate sale (the roughest one) and three from a lucky bid at goodwill online. I have 2 of the three shaving, and only need to tighten up the hinge on the third-as i can't strop with a floppy handle.

As to honing I do the "slurry/cleanup" thing with old arkansas pocket stones to get started. That's about all i got.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ve been shaving a couple months now with a Feather. I find the brush and lather thing tiresome and time consuming, and remembered an ex who used to use baby oil to shave her legs. Not too keen on putting that stuff on my face. Saw some “shaving oil” at a natural foods store, but I wasn’t going to pay 8 dollars for ½ ounce of vegetable oil. Tried olive oil today after a shower. Surprisingly, it worked far better than soap and a brush. Significant other says my skin looks great, but I smell like a salad. YMMV.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

leave it a week or two. and rub some in yr hair.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by professerr View Post
    I’ve been shaving a couple months now with a Feather. <snip>
    Someone once told me - the difference between kinky and weird is:

kinky - if you use just a feather
    weird - if you use the whole chicken

Not sure if he meant it in the context of shaving

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure if the best place for this is here or beautiful things but decided it'd get more love here. Even if you've no interest in shaving with a straight, this is just beautiful craftsmanship.

CrownWing_03.jpg

CrownWing_04.jpg

CrownWing_02.jpg
    Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stunning SR, love the case for it as well. I really need to try one of of these days. How do you use a double edge safety as well?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Someone tell me about badger brushes, specifically how do I know what quality I'm getting?

Being a DIYer-type I'm considering ordering something like this to finish on my own.

Silver Tip Badger Hair Shaving Brush (20.5mm base) First Quality at Penn State Industries

laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's no industry standard for badgers, so one brands Silver Tip is not going to be the same as the others. For that price I doubt it would be that great. FWIW I sold both badger brushes I had as I vastly prefer my boar brushes. They do take a bit to break in, but I love my $10 boar more than I liked my $75 badger.

Either way, usually you're best of sticking to the well known brands (browse badger & blade forums for some ideas on what's out there). Usually people try a number of them before find a size, density, etc. that really works for them.
    ]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-HvA- what cream/soap do you use. I'm interested in trying a boar brush, but wonder if there are specific soaps that they work best with. I'm a Proraso and Tabac user, primarily.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah I did a bit of digging around after posting and figured it's probably junk. Will keep looking.
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Proraso is pretty much fool proof, I've used Tabac but didn't love it as much. Some of my favorites are Razorock (fantastic value for money, very interesting line), Mitchells Wooly Fat, Martin de Candre, Mike's Natural Soaps (a bit more tricky to lather).

My main boar is the Semogue 1305 and it works perfectly with anything that I throw at it (btw, you can get them directly from Portugal at great prices from Vintage Scent, Products for Gentlemen). Anything from creams to croaps (think Cella) to hard soaps.

Boards do need some break in however. Usually I'll do a water/vinegar rinse if there's any smell, and do about 10-12 "practice" lathers, after that it'll be good to go, but still get a better with time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by musgravecycles View Post
    yeah I did a bit of digging around after posting and figured it's probably junk. Will keep looking.

I've heard great things about Whipped Dog's badger brushes in the lower price bracket. You can get a great boar for as low as $10 (Omega), or check the vintage scent link I just posted for Semogue (available in the US as well if you want it quicker) if you want to try that.

I also really like my horse hair Vie Long (check BullGoose Shaving Supplies -Traditional Wetshaving Supplies), it's the only non-boar I kept.

Disclaimer: YMMV as they say, some people vastly prefer their nice badgers over boar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found a badger knot "in my stocking" yesterday.

so at midnight i was up shimming and epoxying the thing into a vintage handle...

This morning i try it out.

Night

and

Day.

Completely different and totally awesome.

Voluptuous Volumes
    of Lovely Lather with Exceptional Ease.

if you haven't already, then knock off a liquor store and get Badger now period*.

*don't worry 'bout grades just get some!

(also scored a good vintage strop- no more 1.75" retired belt stropping.)

And, one more thingy, look for a new razor here soon (all my DE's are for sale-except O/C's) as my recent knife "making" foray put visions of layered steel in my head...tbc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My new badger (in vintage handle), and the primary instruments of whisker destruction:

"new" strop too (still reconditioning).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -HvA- View Post
    There's no industry standard for badgers, so one brands Silver Tip is not going to be the same as the others. For that price I doubt it would be that great. FWIW I sold both badger brushes I had as I vastly prefer my boar brushes. They do take a bit to break in, but I love my $10 boar more than I liked my $75 badger.

Either way, usually you're best of sticking to the well known brands (browse badger & blade forums for some ideas on what's out there). Usually people try a number of them before find a size, density, etc. that really works for them.
    ]
    really now. I just used badger for the first time and love it. It's different-not as much work to make the lather, and it holds so much more.

My knot came from the golden nib-and it's his "Silver" or "Super" grade--I figger that the brush you pay 60 bucks for has a 20-dollar knot in it-if you're lucky. That's why i insisted on re-knotting a vintage handle. Offer me 100 for what i've got and it's a NO SALE!

Oh my, NOW he has 30mm!!! that's what my handle will take, but 26 was the biggest he had when it was ordered. i shimmed to fit...as crafty men are wont to do! Not sure what i'd do with more brush-my bowl is too small now.

I found boar to work fine-it's just more work with the exception of the rinsing out. The badger takes some work to rinse all the foam out of... it's lovely. did i say that yet?

Boar also takes a little breaking in. soooo eee pig! wanna swap?

SRP is the forum i can still post on. one guy owns 'em all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad you're having fun, that's a nice brush!

Odd that you find it easier to use the badger, how long did you use the boar? Which one? I found mine to be more effective after the break in... Did you ever manage to make some soap?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soap is soon, waiting on store-bought KOH as i've been too busy to make a drip for the ashes--and now the rainwater is frozen. Tallow is ready and stearic acid is on hand.

I used a synthetic for some years, bought the boar late this summer-also when i learned to use a brush to make a proper foam. There may be nicer boar out there, and yes it was much nicer after it limbered up a little. Boar may be easier to load, but i can get a much wetter lather with the badger.

Picked up an antique shaving mirror with brush and cup holder off the 'bay*...i'll be doin' it outdoors in warmer wx.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Under the tree: Merkur long handle, Feather blades, and Proraso. Lots to learn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bill, right on. My Dad gave me my grandpa's old Gillette DE handles. I think I am going to get a pack of blades and use it as my travel kit. I guess TSA is cool with the DE razor packs. I need to doublecheck that though.