User Tag List

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: the art of shaving (your face)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: the art of shaving (your face)

Quote Originally Posted by -HvA- View Post
    Wade, let me know if you'd like to try some different blades, I have a bunch at home. Each razor reacts differently to different razors (think of it like combining frames and saddles).

Proper lather is key to reducing irritation. If there's not enough water the soap will be tooth-pasty and you'll get tugging, if it's too runny (bubbles) it won't offer enough protection. Some Thayers witch hazel and nivea balm afterwards does wonders too, especially in the beginning.
    sure as hell i want to try other blades. NOT that i'm having any trouble with these "generic" type that i find locally branded to whatever store they are found in. $1 /5 at one store, $8/10 at the other one (eff that). I'm going back to clean out the $1 version.

of course i get that razors/blades interact differently. reading reviews makes it clear that many folks don't. a few drops of your fave essential oil into the witch hazel with sprayer/squirt bottle is a bathroom wonder.

i've learned more about shaving in a week than i ever realized i didn't know. which i dig, as i'm a detail guy...prefectionist yo.

also find it quite ironic when i'm learning ancient "outdated" means/methods via the Collective. METHINKS the web taught me better than my dad would have, had he tried.

New brush waiting for me at local old-time RX store, but just learning to wet the brush and not the soap was a brilliant step in lather creation. and i've been using a mug forever.

591 Petty Gap Road. Woodbury. 37190

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool, I'll get that out to you on Mon or Tue.

Don't but too many of one type until you find the ones that really work for you. It's crazy but one brand to the other can make a enormous difference.

What type of brush are you using? Boar (my favorite) definitely needs some soaking. Badger and horse can be rinsed just before the shave.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WadePatton View Post
    (and i've not shaved two days in a row since the last time i was on trial.)
    Man I love this place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oooooooo, I thought you lost your mind and were going to attempt straight razors. My mistake. Phew.
    I'm a fan of short badger brushes. My last brush lasted 15+ years and a CO USCF chap made my latest one. Outstanding.
    TJR is a former racer and has a website: Rakowski handmade products
    I'll give him a poke and see if he'll comment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do HAVE a straight razor, but have enough sense to leave it alone.

So I go looking around for info on the DE Schick I'm using (antique mall, $5). It's the the black plastic-handled jobbie, often called the "Krona" but mine isn't marked as such. Turns out that it's about perfect for new DE shavers-according to experienced users (one who made a videa). It's a bit light, but low on the "aggressiveness" scale.

Ancient grocery store brush i have is about to be replaced with new RX-store brush...my god you guys are nutz about brushes. i'll work my way up, very slowly. (next badger that i cross...well. hmmm i do have some bucktail)

TNX on the blades fer sher! but also am wondering if my "tame" razor will bite even with the semi-lethal (according to the low-star* reviews) feathers.

*why read anything else?

caleb, i was just seeing who was paying attention.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just learning to make a proper lather with a brush is a giant step forward-no matter what you shave with. 99 videos out there in case it wasn't handed down your paternal line.

And also the Schick "Krona" is capable of "burning" the skin if handled heavily-perhaps less than a more aggressive razor. But don't (noobs) go buy one and think you can't hurt yourself. DE requires focus.

If i get fancier with beard scraping, the Schtick will always be fine for a leg razor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turkish YO!

CG posted this a while back, but bears repeating here, especially the ~ 1:20 part.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK dude, sent out some Gillettes, Feathers, Astras, Personna and Derbys. I'd suggest trying the Feathers last, let us know how it goes!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -HvA- View Post
    OK dude, sent out some Gillettes, Feathers, Astras, Personna and Derbys. I'd suggest trying the Feathers last, let us know how it goes!
    schweet.

long story shortened, i now own a variety of razors:

Schick Krona
    Gillette:
    40's style Super Speed (early 50's actually)
    195 Fat Boy Adj.
    40's Aristocrat
    Travel Tech (short-handled Ball End Tech)

G's came in a grab bag-plus one funky injector, all for 15 bucks.

the effing interweb (all that from Badger and Blade and a few minutes poking around. (and add))

so i should have a good idea what i likes best in the near future. full effing circle bra--from dolla shave club to here. i'm nutz.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Oooooooo, I thought you lost your mind and were going to attempt straight razors. My mistake...
    It's been a month now. I razor-burned myself on the first shave, nicked myself on about the 12th. Tried Alum today. Made some "failed" soap. (Have learned great gobs about soap chemistry since, and will make a good one next go.) Have pulled horse hairs, but not made a brush yet.

AND i got out a Straight Razor I purchased a few years ago, with no real intent of using it when i bought it, and only got it out to clean it up to sell... BUT then I did drag that sucker down my face this morning (strong hand cheek only). I learned DE shaving pretty thoroughly in 30 days, but I'm going to give this SR learning a much longer window. need a strop anyway.

A srap of paper in the SR box (non-matching) appears to be the date from the original receipt with reads: 2-xx-11. Tha's _19_ eleven. Ed. Wusthof 89 is on the blade fwiw, iirc.

never knew a shaven face could be so slick. i trashed all the plastic pivoting multi-blade crap.

highly recommend re-evaluating your shaving practice if you'd like a better shave and some "me" focus time in the morning. they say it's much better at preventing "razor bumps" and such.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice day. Went to the San Fran ralpha cycling club store. Now I'm sitting in the art of shaving waiting for my first real shave.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

OK, I'm in. Just received my E Jagger DE89 and some Wilkinson and Personna Red blades from Lee's Razors. All based on recommendations from this place and Lee himself. Beautiful stuff. Man, I am stoked to stop buying those cartridges! Will report back soon.
    Harth Huffman
    www.wabiwoolens.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdxharth View Post
    OK, I'm in. Just received my E Jagger DE89 and some Wilkinson and Personna Red blades from Lee's Razors. All based on recommendations from this place and Lee himself. Beautiful stuff. Man, I am stoked to stop buying those cartridges! Will report back soon.
    Started with the DE89, great razor. The Personna Reds are currently my favorite blades, I'm going out for dinner, so today's shave will be Futur razor + Personna blades + Martin de Candre soap. I don't know how I ever shaved differently.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recently switched to feather blades and find them sharper and equally durable to the personnas.

I am using a Merkur Futura razor

-d
    Dovid@dhoffman.consulting

Fundamentally the marksmen aims at himself.
    -Zen in the Art of Archery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love the Feathers. Use a Gillette Fat Boy. What a great shave!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For my birthday I want to go to THAT barber shop.

For the love of g-d why can't we have that here in DC?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

feather & feather with neutrogena & badger tail to whip it up and wag it on..

darn close to your recipe tall man..

ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ron l edmiston View Post
    feather & feather with neutrogena & badger tail to whip it up and wag it on..

darn close to your recipe tall man..

ronnie
    Do you use the Neutogena bar soap or something special they make specific for shaving?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

razor.jpg

I posted this in the Beautiful Objects thread but I thought it relevant here. Had my first shave with it yesterday. No blood, no bumps, no burn. It did take some time but I think I will gain some muscle memory after a few dozen shaves. So much nicer in the hand than disposable plastic. Made in USA. So nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by miwuksurfer View Post
    razor.jpg

I posted this in the Beautiful Objects thread but I thought it relevant here. Had my first shave with it yesterday. No blood, no bumps, no burn. It did take some time but I think I will gain some muscle memory after a few dozen shaves. So much nicer in the hand than disposable plastic. Made in USA. So nice.
    Liked it there. Like it here. Don't know if I can justify the time to maintain, but I know I would love using one. Maybe even more, sharpening one.

Huh. There are few things as rewarding as honing a plane iron, kitchen knife, or any blade so it can shave clean. Why wouldn't I do it with an actual razor? Must reconsider.