User Tag List

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: the art of shaving (your face)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: the art of shaving (your face)

Agree with all the safety razor peeps here. I use a long handle Merkur with Feather blades. My brush is a silvertip badger hair that's fairly flexible, which is good for shaving creams. I pretty much exclusively use Taylor of Old Bond Avocado shaving cream, such good stuff. I use the Art of Shaving Lavender After Shave Balm (you can get it cheaper at skinstore.com), which doesn't smell much, but helps w/ any irritation. I actually enjoy shaving now and look forward to it. I currently have a thick beard for the winter, but still shave my neck and cheeks.
    Beer, it's part of a good breakfast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been thru a number of low or no scent shaving soaps and the Mitchell Wool Fat is the best I've found.

21mzzPIODLL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Funny that this thread is up because my shaving creams just arrived. Got Avocado and Lavender Taylor of Old Bond Street, but they send me Almond instead of Avocado. I'm highly allergic to tree nuts, but see nothing about it on the ingredients. Should I risk trying it?
    Beer, it's part of a good breakfast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eippo1 View Post
    Funny that this thread is up because my shaving creams just arrived. Got Avocado and Lavender Taylor of Old Bond Street, but they send me Almond instead of Avocado. I'm highly allergic to tree nuts, but see nothing about it on the ingredients. Should I risk trying it?
    Nope, send it back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    Well, I haven't shaved since Halloween. One of the perks of working for Arabs. However, when I did, I swore by this. Bigelow Chemists : Bigelow Premium Shave Cream 5.1 oz [bpsc] - $10.00USD

I have recommended this to countless people and I have never heard anything but rave reviews. It literally made a shitty task like shaving my face, well, not shitty. I'm going to go out on a limb and even say it was pleasant.

True story: I sent my dad a package for the holidays last year that consisted of some of the grooming products I'd been impressed with. He called me to tell me that he especially loved the shaving cream. He stole the shaving cream from the package I'd sent my brother. When he ran out (two $10 tubes lasted almost a year) he begged me to buy more. He was just in town, and being that he is internet-challenged, I took him to CO Bigelow where he bought another two years worth.

Seriously, a tube is $10 and lasts 4-5 months. Why are you still reading this? Click the link and buy it! Report back with findings.
    The Bigelow stuff is great. I like it better than the Art of Shaving stuff. Oh, and you can buy it at Bath and Body Works, if you don't like ordering things of the internet.

I use an old safety razor I got off of the eBay. I honestly might have saved $50 in razors in the past couple years or use with this thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

badger, mug, soap i made or grocery store colgate or williams. razor--whatever is handy, i like pivoting heads.

Appleton WI -- home of Harry Houdini and Rocky Bleier
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chase --

I did buy, and am reporting back as requested. With the first shave with this cream I bow (again) to your wise counsel on the art of the wardrobe. You da man!

Can't believe how many years I wasted with the cartidges by the pack. Since my son got the hint I wanted a a double-edged razor for Christmas it's been a new experience. Now I'm moving up from the drug store Williams soap to this and another step for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    Well, I haven't shaved since Halloween. One of the perks of working for Arabs. However, when I did, I swore by this. Bigelow Chemists : Bigelow Premium Shave Cream 5.1 oz [bpsc] - $10.00USD

I have recommended this to countless people and I have never heard anything but rave reviews. It literally made a shitty task like shaving my face, well, not shitty. I'm going to go out on a limb and even say it was pleasant.

True story: I sent my dad a package for the holidays last year that consisted of some of the grooming products I'd been impressed with. He called me to tell me that he especially loved the shaving cream. He stole the shaving cream from the package I'd sent my brother. When he ran out (two $10 tubes lasted almost a year) he begged me to buy more. He was just in town, and being that he is internet-challenged, I took him to CO Bigelow where he bought another two years worth.

Seriously, a tube is $10 and lasts 4-5 months. Why are you still reading this? Click the link and buy it! Report back with findings.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been using Melt product for the last few years. Right now I'm using the Thor skin prep (light viscosity oil with mint and ?) and the Thor shaving butter (white creamy goodness) followed by sesame oil or almond oil.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Bigelow/Proraso stuff is awesome, used some this morning. Just the tip of the iceberg though - if you want to go nuts and learn about pretty much every shaving soap under the sun check out Badger & Blade - Home

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never new this got so complicated. I might try a DE and the Bigelow stuff. Thinking Merkur?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by longlegged View Post
    I never new this got so complicated. I might try a DE and the Bigelow stuff. Thinking Merkur?
    Check out the Edwin Jagger DE89 series. Affordable, smooth and beginner friendly. Get a sample pack of blades as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This: Manliest Barbershops In America | Men's Health

If there was a reliable barber near work I'd get a straight razor shave three times a week and call it good.

It is not wrong to ban women, children and tourists from my life for 30 mins. a few times each week, am I right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been using the Proraso Green Tea and Aloe shaving soap lately, and I have to say, I like it even better than my usual summer soap - Proraso Eucalyptus with Menthol. Highly recommended. It does require a slightly wetter brush than the original though - one shake instead of two.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by christian View Post
    I have been using the Proraso Green Tea and Aloe shaving soap lately, and I have to say, I like it even better than my usual summer soap - Proraso Eucalyptus with Menthol. Highly recommended. It does require a slightly wetter brush than the original though - one shake instead of two.
    Mitchells Wool Fat does me right and a stubby brush.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Learn How to Shave Like Your Grandpa | The Art of Manliness

whelp, this pup is gonter learnta use a safety razor after all.

don't know why i didn't sooner. well, i did kinda try a straight razor a while back--and have experienced straight-razor work in the barbershop for edge work. three different barbers mof.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had a 6 or 7- week beard going. I liked it. She didn't. It's gone now.

It's best to grow in the winter and shave in the spring. My dad would always do the shaving ritual on a camping trip, with a badger brush and a hand mirror; water heated on a fire or propane camping stove.

The bottom half of my face does not match the top half.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good luck with that. Love you long time. Put me on your insurance policy, I want your truck and will take good care of the pups.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Good luck with that. Love you long time. Put me on your insurance policy, I want your truck and will take good care of the pups.
    i appreciate the support, but let it be known that i did find a shoddy ole Schick at the antiques mall still with the Wilkinson Sword (i remember selling those) and (w/ a fresh generic blade) was able to remove hairs the old fashioned way. practiced on legs, moved to face. got it a little "fresh" in places, just now, second-round. no troubles. but then i'm light-red-bearded. (and i've not shaved two days in a row since the last time i was on trial.)

the Schick was 5 bucks. i'm now set to experiment w/ blades.

my old brush ain't so bad, now that i've learned howto use the damn thing. little stuff counts.

imprefection is perfectoin.

and that Thai curry (level 11 hot w/ squid) i had last night...double fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wade, let me know if you'd like to try some different blades, I have a bunch at home. Each razor reacts differently to different razors (think of it like combining frames and saddles).

Proper lather is key to reducing irritation. If there's not enough water the soap will be tooth-pasty and you'll get tugging, if it's too runny (bubbles) it won't offer enough protection. Some Thayers witch hazel and nivea balm afterwards does wonders too, especially in the beginning.