User Tag List

Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: the art of shaving (your face)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: the art of shaving (your face)

2019 bump

not my actual pic but this is my timeless brass that arrived a month or so ago--about 75 years old or so...
    vtg-1930s-gillette-brass-copper-open_1_33f6677e53eda474299626c5787b2612.jpg

and in the shaving cream department, I have to mention a bargain favorite: Palmolive original. It does, unfortunately, use palm oil, which sucks overall, but I can't shake my Nutella habit and I don't use that much in a year. So if, like me, you balk at $16 a tube creams (I loves me some Taylor of Bond Street, but sheesh), then grab a tube of this stuff and make sure you only use a peanut dollop on your brush. It will whip up into a smooth and creamy lather good for at least 2 passes. Barely scented, which does not linger after the shave. anyway good stuff for about $4-5

forMenPalmExtract.png

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

having not shaved in years, I needed a new razor... perused this thread went over to badger and blade and just before I suffered with "paralysis by analysis" I pulled the trigger on a Rockwell 6c. Paired with their blade, shaving (my neck at least) wasn't as much of a chore as it was prior. With 6 different plates I worked my way up to the 3 and I'm impressed. I did pickup a potpourri of blades for testing but it looks like I won't need to pickup new blades for another century...

Rockwell 6C Double-Edge Safety Razor | Rockwell Razors | Try Risk Free

Haven't picked up a brush and bowl we'll see if I go that route... but for now I'm pretty pleased.
    Randy Larrison
    My amazing friends call me Shoogs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL same here. When I started with DE I ended up with a pile of blades when all I really needed was a pile of Feather blades. Nice looking razor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shoogs View Post
    having not shaved in years, I needed a new razor... perused this thread went over to badger and blade and just before I suffered with "paralysis by analysis" I pulled the trigger on a Rockwell 6c. Paired with their blade, shaving (my neck at least) wasn't as much of a chore as it was prior. With 6 different plates I worked my way up to the 3 and I'm impressed. I did pickup a potpourri of blades for testing but it looks like I won't need to pickup new blades for another century...

Rockwell 6C Double-Edge Safety Razor | Rockwell Razors | Try Risk Free

Haven't picked up a brush and bowl we'll see if I go that route... but for now I'm pretty pleased.
    oh you absolutely need a brush. a bowl, not so much (I face lather); and you don't need to start out with an expensive badger, either ( I still haven't treated myself to one). The Italian and Portugese boar brushes (from Omega and Semogue, respectively) or a decent synthetic can be had for $12-20 and you will never go back to goop in a can, promised.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by giordana93 View Post
    oh you absolutely need a brush. a bowl, not so much (I face lather); and you don't need to start out with an expensive badger, either ( I still haven't treated myself to one). The Italian and Portugese boar brushes (from Omega and Semogue, respectively) or a decent synthetic can be had for $12-20 and you will never go back to goop in a can, promised.
    thank you.
    Randy Larrison
    My amazing friends call me Shoogs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

feather blades are by far the best but they are mighty sharp. It is nice to escape the tyranny of the expensive triple blade plastic throw away rubbish. Rather like a previous poster i bought several dozen blades a couple of years ago and doubt I will need to buy more. Quite a good strategy if you have a strong beard is to buy a super cheap battery razor, spend 2 mins with that, getting rid of the worst stuff, then do it properly. You can get about 8 nice shaves with each blade this way and you get to spend a few minutes gathering your thoughts for the day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by slwrnu View Post
    feather blades are by far the best but they are mighty sharp. It is nice to escape the tyranny of the expensive triple blade plastic throw away rubbish. Rather like a previous poster i bought several dozen blades a couple of years ago and doubt I will need to buy more. Quite a good strategy if you have a strong beard is to buy a super cheap battery razor, spend 2 mins with that, getting rid of the worst stuff, then do it properly. You can get about 8 nice shaves with each blade this way and you get to spend a few minutes gathering your thoughts for the day.
    Right on. I've yet to find the patience or method shaving legs using DE which will not necessitate a trip the the Emergency Room....still stuck on stupid commercial razors for that. Oh well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Right on. I've yet to find the patience or method shaving legs using DE which will not necessitate a trip the the Emergency Room....still stuck on stupid commercial razors for that. Oh well.
    I haven't shaved my legs in years, but I wonder if one of the "lady" shavers from back in the day (which are surely mild in their cutting angle and better shaped for the contours of the legs), paired with a much less aggressive blade than the Feather, might do the trick. Of course, the multi-blade disposables are pretty good and cheap nowadays..... Maybe this year I'll shave like everyone else, but it's so fun to show up on a group ride and put the hurt on all the well-shaven wannabees, especially if I'm on my 25 year old Italian steel bike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't shaved my legs in years, but I wonder if one of the "lady" shavers from back in the day (which are surely mild in their cutting angle and better shaped for the contours of the legs), paired with a much less aggressive blade than the Feather, might do the trick. Of course, the multi-blade disposables are pretty good and cheap nowadays..... Maybe this year I'll shave like everyone else, but it's so fun to show up on a group ride and put the hurt on all the well-shaven wannabees, especially if I'm on my 25 year old Italian steel bike
    Dig THAT! Why not?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

... it's so fun to show up on a group ride and put the hurt on all the well-shaven wannabees, especially if I'm on my 25 year old Italian steel bike
    That was my MO when I was fast. That and my sandals with socks on flats were pretty much my "I'm from Seattle" advertisement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

do not, on any account, use Feather blades on your legs. That is what Bic is for.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know this will be heresy for all you fancy straight-razor aficionados, but there must a a few other folks like me here who're more into quick & dirty shaves. (mostly just trimming under and around my beard)

Has anyone here tried the Phillips / Norelco "One Blade?" If so, what did you think?

OneBlade. The new way to trim, edge, and shave | Philips Norelco

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marginal Gains Podcast by Silca had an interesting bit about preserving razor blades -- in between uses, rinse, wipe, and drop into a small bottle of mineral oil. Supposedly they stay sharp a lot longer by preventing micro-corrosion in the edge, which isn't quite as stainless as other steels. It starts with an interesting story about Wilkinson Sword and Gillette patents (and why enlightened self-interest ain't always enlightened enough for the benefit of customers, but that's my commentary more than theirs). The bit about mineral oil starts at 13:00.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I need to listen to those podcasts, but haven't clicked on this one yet. Just thought I would add, in relation to the current thread, that I had already tried this trick and it kinda worked, but it only barely made sense when I was using the multi-bladed cartridges that cost a buck (or five!) each. The beauty of the double edged blades is that they cost ten cents each (unless you're a big spender on Feathers like Josh, then maybe a quarter). So picking a razor out of a bottle of mineral oil that is soon host to little whiskers floating around, then a drop hits the counter, yada yada. Have never looked back after switching to DE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I started using a new soap, made here in Portland, by Camamu. It replace my Proraso Sensitive Skin soap, that I had used for years. At first, I hated the new one because the lather was weak and had large bubbles. But after a few tries, I started using less water and found the lather comes out a bit thicker. So it isn't really the plush, dense lather we all love, but decent quality. The thing is, the stuff feels slick. So more impressive than the lather is the shave itself - very smooth. And I swear, especially with a fresh blade, that it allows me to cut closer. I realized this on the second day when my beard wasn't as obvious as it was when I used the Proraso. Now I've been using it for about a month and I'm hooked.

Before posting this, I looked for reviews online. It seems some people can't get past the unusual lather. But if you value the quality of the shave, I say it's worth a shot.

So, great shave, neutral, gentle fragrance, no plastic container, made by a small company that just happens to be local to me. In short, I love it.

Anyone else try Camamu shaving soap?

Harth
    Harth Huffman
    www.wabiwoolens.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've given up shaving for the colder months. Started Oct 1st. I generally pick back up on April fools day...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

feather razor
    feather blades
    synthetic brush

a variety of soaps

my mornings are bliss

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello, new here. I recently acquired a very nice Streamline.

This morning I used it. It wasn't a great shave. Understand that my regular razor is Weber.

Certainly there are differeences in DE vs SE shaving. Still, I was expecting a better shave.

From you SE users, what tips or advice can you offer so that I get a great shave from the Streamline?
    Tony from ProfyShavers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ybrtchet View Post
    Hello, new here. I recently acquired a very nice Streamline.

This morning I used it. It wasn't a great shave. Understand that my regular razor is Weber.

Certainly there are differeences in DE vs SE shaving. Still, I was expecting a better shave.

From you SE users, what tips or advice can you offer so that I get a great shave from the Streamline?
    I think you'll get more responses over at badger and blade or another blade forum. I'll only say that a razor is only as good as its blades and the whole mild vs aggressive razor/blade/face/days of beard growth equation still holds on SE
    am I the only Marvin?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ericpmoss View Post
    Marginal Gains Podcast by Silca had an interesting bit about preserving razor blades -- in between uses, rinse, wipe, and drop into a small bottle of mineral oil. Supposedly they stay sharp a lot longer by preventing micro-corrosion in the edge, which isn't quite as stainless as other steels. It starts with an interesting story about Wilkinson Sword and Gillette patents (and why enlightened self-interest ain't always enlightened enough for the benefit of customers, but that's my commentary more than theirs). The bit about mineral oil starts at 13:00.
    I have no doubt that’s true - I rinse mine and keep them dry and they last well.

My conspiracy theory is that the fancy gels they sell you speed up corrosion requiring you to buy more blades. I just use regular bar soap and they last much better. Maybe I’m just fortunate that even with a close shave my face likes that.