User Tag List

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: the art of shaving (your face)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: the art of shaving (your face)

I splurged for a Timeless in brass. Previously shaving with a Merkur 180. Loving it with my feathers I have been using and will try with polisilvers next. Also tried Cremo Shave cream (vs wool fat that I had been using) and it was pretty amazing. The combination of the timeless, feather, and cremo made me do a double take -- I wasn't sure if I was actually shaving as the blade was moving so smoothly. Cremo will probably find its way into my travel kit when I can find some travel size options.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Two View Post
    I splurged for a Timeless in brass. Previously shaving with a Merkur 180. Loving it with my feathers I have been using and will try with polisilvers next. Also tried Cremo Shave cream (vs wool fat that I had been using) and it was pretty amazing. The combination of the timeless, feather, and cremo made me do a double take -- I wasn't sure if I was actually shaving as the blade was moving so smoothly. Cremo will probably find its way into my travel kit when I can find some travel size options.
    Well done. Cremo looks interesting. Have you ever tried Kiss My Face no scent shaving creme?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Glad you're liking Cremo. It became my favorite quite a while ago. There's a no-scent, a cool/menthol, and a sandalwood scent available. And Amazon has travel sizes -- a two-pack of 3-ounce tubes. I used to use Kiss My Face or would mix it with a shaving cup soap just for the slipperiness it provided, but I like Cremo better. It washes off without residue, a tiny bit goes a long way, and it has a slipperiness that can't be beat.

That brass Timeless is a razor in a different category. The only razor that's bumped my Feather. It also makes a number of other razor blades work better as well. You got the .38 mm gap version or one of the coarser ones? The .38 sounds like it shouldn't work but in my book is the one to get. It takes out almost any stubble until you have to deal with tree trunks.

Another thing I came across was for when you just start out or if you go rogue for a week. It's a Wahl shaver made specifically for baldies. I now shave my entire head except for eyebrows -- face, neck, a little fuzz on top, and a monk's fringe around the sides. I do that daily. These are superb and also the thing for first leg shave in the spring.

Amazon.com: Wahl Professional 5-Star Balding Clipper #811� – Great for Barbers and Stylists – Cuts Surgically Close for Full Head Balding – Twice the Speed of Pivot Motor Clippers – Accessories Included: WAHL Professional: Beauty
    Lane DeCamp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the Trader Joe's cream shave. Subtle scent, gives a great shave, washes off easy... Don't need a finance plan to use it regularly...

I have been using an Andis clipper for beard and hair (diminishing) cutting for 10 years now. Not quite shave close but does 1/16th" quite consistently. I go any shorter than that and my SO wonders what's up...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I haven't tried KMF -- but I will when I see some. I've seen people using KMF or Cremo as a base/additive to more traditional soaps to make something like Woolfat slicker.

I got the .38 brass from Timeless -- I have no issues with it not being aggressive enough. My facial (and top of head) hair is fairly fine but dense. It has a really nice feel to it. Not a cheap purchase but a nice piece of quality metalwork.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

not really a fan of Cremo. It's ok, like the neutrogena sensitive stuff, and great for a quick and slick shave, but I've really become intrigued by the whole lathering process, and doing it mostly on the face with a nice stiff (& fairly cheap) boar brush is half the pleasure of the shave. Yes, I said pleasure, and this is someone who used to hate, hate, shaving. Once it became a learned skill (and one that can be easily grasped but very difficult to master truly), it got much more interesting. Anyway, good soaps and creams with a good brush and lathering technique beat Cremo in my book, unless I just never got the secret to using it (like MWF, which is climbing slowly up my list). On the other hand, I do really like the KMF in green tea scent, the only one I've tried, but it will develop a decent lather.
    am I the only Marvin?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by giordana93 View Post
    not really a fan of Cremo. It's ok, like the neutrogena sensitive stuff, and great for a quick and slick shave, but I've really become intrigued by the whole lathering process, and doing it mostly on the face with a nice stiff (& fairly cheap) boar brush is half the pleasure of the shave. Yes, I said pleasure, and this is someone who used to hate, hate, shaving. Once it became a learned skill (and one that can be easily grasped but very difficult to master truly), it got much more interesting. Anyway, good soaps and creams with a good brush and lathering technique beat Cremo in my book, unless I just never got the secret to using it (like MWF, which is climbing slowly up my list). On the other hand, I do really like the KMF in green tea scent, the only one I've tried, but it will develop a decent lather.
    If you have the time in the morning to heat up your face with a towel, make some rich soap foam, and then shave, you're blessed. It's a great way to shave if you can do all the steps. I find I can lather up but don't have the time for the hot towel, which limits how good a shave can really be. I'll do it in the shower where I can use a hot shower head to warm up my face, but again I don't have as much softening of the hair before lathering as I'd like. I use Cremo as an excellent compromise for when I pretty much just need to walk up and shave before heading off for work. When I retire, I'll have a small microwave in the bathroom to heat moist towels for that perfect shave, but not today.
    Lane DeCamp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Have you tried the Neutrogena Sensitive Skin Shave cream? I got it based on some reviews, and it is similar to Cremo in some ways, kinda thin, slippery, and rinses well. It's what I use when I'm more in the "get-out-the-door" mode. I don't think it's better than Cremo (which I don't dislike, maybe "not a fan" was too strong) but worth a try for variety.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@giordana93 Does the Neutrogena have any lingering fragrance?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Cremo is great for the quick and dirty shave. The experience is nowhere near as nice as whipping up some wool fat with my boars hair brush. But with the Cremo, I can shave in about a minute. I got the unscented Cremo, and it smells a little bit too much like dish soap for my liking, but it gets the job done. Interested in trying KMF.

I tried the polisilver blades, they make the Timeless too mild and it felt like I had to scrub my face with the razor to get as good of a shave as I did with one pass of the feathers. I am back on feathers and very happy with them and the brass Timeless.

I do use an alcohol free Nivea after the shave, supposedly unscented.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Question for the masses, what does your travel setup look like? From what I can see the TSA and several other security agencies do not like non-cartridge style razors. I've been using a cheapo Braun electric that runs on AA batteries, but interested in something better?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question for the masses, what does your travel setup look like? From what I can see the TSA and several other security agencies do not like non-cartridge style razors. I've been using a cheapo Braun electric that runs on AA batteries, but interested in something better?
    Sad fact of life isn't it? As if we'd whip out a safety razor blade and do anything with it other than hurt ourselves!

I resort to cartridge razors if it is a short trip or buy a pack of (whatever) blades at a drugstore for longer trips.

Chapeau to @Curt Goodrich for putting me onto WoolFat soap. That with a dab of KMF (no scent) has kept me proper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    @giordana93 Does the Neutrogena have any lingering fragrance?
    None. Certainly less than Mitchell's. The only knock against it is the liquid-like consistency, but like Cremo you can slap it on in seconds and be shaving right away. It's also pretty cheap and easy to find in local drugstores.
    am I the only Marvin?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

as for travel, I don't do a whole lot lately (since getting the bug for nice, proper shaves) but I think the general strategy is what Josh said. More specifically, don't take a razor you are afraid of losing (there are plenty of nice shavers in the sub-$20 category), and either try to find blades locally or risk taking a blade or two wrapped well and nowhere close to the razor itself. The loss of 20 cents for a blade or two is probably less painful than just dealing with the hassle of explaining why you have it. I usually just bring a Bic Sensitive disposable or buy local.

ps I swear my vintage Gillette Tech that cost about 10 bucks will give a damn fine shave with low risk of nicks and cuts. It was my first razor and got me hooked. well worth seeking one out, as they are still pretty cheap (and the model on which many modern super-razors are based)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Avoid Wilkinson Sword for DE blades. They shoulda stayed in the sword business (they actually were!) Wilkinson Sword - Wikipedia

Feather DE blades are a much nicer edge,

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jacquesmith View Post
    Avoid Wilkinson Sword for DE blades. They shoulda stayed in the sword business (they actually were!) Wilkinson Sword - Wikipedia

Feather DE blades are a much nicer edge,
    When I was a boy, my dad used the Wilkinson DE blades and swore by them. Perhaps time has not been kind, or standards have changed... Only what, 50+ years ago...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    When I was a boy, my dad used the Wilkinson DE blades and swore by them. Perhaps time has not been kind, or standards have changed... Only what, 50+ years ago...
    Literally different strokes...

I might have a pack of those blades, glad to donate to someone with lots of courage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Little bit of the rivival, I tried the KMF stuff -- it worked so so on its own and great under wool fat.

I took a trip to the states and picked up some Art of Shaving "Kingsman" (Bourbon scent) oil/cream/balm. Overall most of their stuff is nice in that it doesn't smell too strong (very subtle) but the bourbon scent is awesome (and makes me a little thirsty). As far as function: very very very good. It's not quite as quick as my Cremo routine, but it lathers faster than wool fat and is a chance to use the nice brushes I neglect with Cremo.

More on the timeless brass: hard to describe how neglected all my other razors are now...

On travel: still searching for a cartridge razor that doesn't irritate my skin or microtome my imperfections. I've been using Amazon in countries where available to just order feather blades to my hotel. About 20% of the time security has asked to see my razor and show no blade. Only one time was I hassled questioned deeply with "but where are the blades then"? Sliced myself good with a fresh blade just before a meeting so now looking for a good alum pen.

Good news is I should move to the land of the free in the next year and cut back on my travels significantly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

More on the timeless brass: hard to describe how neglected all my other razors are now...
    Best razor available unless you need a chainsaw on your face.
    Lane DeCamp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been using the oristo stainless I got from massdrop. With feathers, it is excellent, much better for my face than with sharks.