Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 1920212223242526272829

Thread: The XC Skiing thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The XC Skiing thread

If you have Instagram, and you’re a fan of glitter, this is worth the watch.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C4n48...ppYnowczgycXF6

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    After a rough sprint day that brought Linn Svahn within 42 points, Jesse does Jesse things and significantly improves her chances for the big globe with just one race left:

https://fasterskier.com/2024/03/ever...-classic-10-k/
    Wow, that 20k was something else.

I didn't realize that Frida Karlsson has a reputation for crashing other skiers out. She nearly crossed up skis with Laukli and then ran over one of the Norwegian skiers. Broken poles and angry words. The presenters basically said if there is a collision you can guess it is Karlsson and that all the other skiers know she is a problem.
    Last edited by j44ke; 03-18-2024 at 08:59 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Wow, that 20k was something else.

I didn't realize that Frida Karlsson has a reputation for crashing other skiers out. She nearly crossed up skis with Laukli and then ran over one of the Norwegian skiers. Broken poles and angry words. The presenters basically said if there is a collision you can guess it is Karlsson and that all the other skiers know she is a problem.
    Yes, unfortunately. She crashed Jessie out of first place in the 2022 Tour de Ski. Remarkable athlete, seems like a decent person in interviews. Maybe her situational awareness power reroutes to her legs when going 100 percent?

Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sophie Laukli just came 2nd at the 30k norwegian national championship. Almost 2:50 minutes behind winner Therese Johaug.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EBH View Post
    Sophie Laukli just came 2nd at the 30k norwegian national championship. Almost 2:50 minutes behind winner Therese Johaug.
    That’s interesting! Johaug retired and Laukli not Norwegian. I also see that 30k is not the longest event - 50k!
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That’s interesting! Johaug retired and Laukli not Norwegian. I also see that 30k is not the longest event - 50k!
    Laukli is reprecenting a norwegian skiing club and is allowed to participate. Won't get the silvermedal though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EBH View Post
    Laukli is reprecenting a norwegian skiing club and is allowed to participate. Won't get the silvermedal though.
    I think in women's XC, the Finnish and the Swedes both had a better year than the Norwegians, which is strange. Wondered if that's the long shadow of Johaug. Or perhaps something else. I heard mention on Eurosport that cuts in national team finances were made in advance of the season.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, Johaug has been training obviously, and although she won't say it yet everbody expects a comeback next season, with world champs in norway also.
    30K is the distance for women. This is not a FIS race.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think in women's XC, the Finnish and the Swedes both had a better year than the Norwegians, which is strange. Wondered if that's the long shadow of Johaug. Or perhaps something else. I heard mention on Eurosport that cuts in national team finances were made in advance of the season.
    Ingvild Flugstad Østberg was supposed to be back in action after a year off for health reasons, but I’m not seeing her in the overall table at season’s end. She was The One after Johaug, wasn’t she? Heidi Weng is amazing but has also been at this a long time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    Ingvild Flugstad Østberg was supposed to be back in action after a year off for health reasons, but I’m not seeing her in the overall table at season’s end. She was The One after Johaug, wasn’t she? Heidi Weng is amazing but has also been at this a long time.
    Østberg has some kind of eating disorder. She was denied racing before this and the previous season. Commentators is questioning the general attitude of the norewgian xc women. Maybe they've become "lazy". Anyway it must be embarassing to beaten like this by a retired Johaug.