Page 21 of 29 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast

Thread: The XC Skiing thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The XC Skiing thread

I’m going to be in the Catamount area the next few days. Is there a place to take the kids to try some XC and also a nearby place to rent gear?

In another thread Jorge mentioned Kenver
    Staying in Hudson NY

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    I’m going to be in the Catamount area the next few days. Is there a place to take the kids to try some XC and also a nearby place to rent gear?

In another thread Jorge mentioned Kenver
    Staying in Hudson NY
    Hudson is about 30 minutes from Catamount. Pretty easy "commute" distance. Try Steiner's in Hudson (301 Warren St, Hudson, NY 12534) for rental stuff, but I am not sure they are renting XC skis. Just snowboards and downhill, but call them to ask.

Art Omi is about 20 minutes NE of Hudson (1405 Co Rte 22, Ghent, NY 12075). They do groomed cross country trails on their property. The place is an open air art park with a small museum/gallery and art residency studios. Most of that is closed, but they are open for XC skiing.

Bartlett House in the town of Ghent, a few minutes from Art Omi, has great baked goods and food for take away. Go to Art Omi and then pick up food at Bartlett House.

Best pizza in the area is in Hudson at Oak Pizza. Best baked goods in Hudson is Bread Folks. Best coffee in the area is Moto Coffee Machine. Olde Hudson is a good place to pick up snacks and cheese and chocolate. MX Morningstar Farm & Grocery is a great place for ingredients, just outside of Hudson on rt. 23.

Hours depend on current covid situation. Columbia Co. is having a bit of an uptick. Wear your good masks.
    Last edited by j44ke; 02-14-2021 at 02:34 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Best coffee in the area is Moto Coffee Machine.
    Where is Second best coffee?

Moto Machine, "temporarily closed" according to Google maps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where is Second best coffee?

Moto Machine, "temporarily closed" according to Google maps.
    Hmm - they were open a month ago. Things change though.

Probably Supernatural Coffee + Bakery @ 527 Warren St, Hudson, NY 12534. They are 2-3 doors from Oak Pizza.

If your kids are picky and like more classic pizza pizza not Neopolitan deliciousness, then Babalouie's is an alternative. http://babalouiespizza.com/

Talbot & Arding has excellent sandwiches and other food stuffs. They do curbside pickup.

Isaan Thai Star actually does terrific Thai food take-out. We have Thai night once a month from there. https://www.isaanthaistar.com

All the fast food places are north of Hudson on rt. 9.

When you get to Hillsdale, there is Roe Jan Brewery right in town. They are take out only for a while due to covid. But the food is very good and I hear the beer is great. http://roejanbrewing.com/

Crossroads Food Shop does have eat-in, but very limited seating. Food is excellent. Menu standards and then revolving items based on what's available. http://www.crossroadsfoodshop.com/

There are two comfort food diners locally - O's Diner in Hillsdale and Chief Martindale Diner at 23 and the Taconic Parkway.

I think there may also be XC skiing at Undermountain Golf Course. That was mentioned to me recently by a long time resident, but that may be old news. You could certainly use the Harlem Valley Rail Trail once it snows M T W Thu Fri this week.
    Last edited by j44ke; 02-14-2021 at 05:44 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You really should be on the local Tourism Board!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We just grabbed burgers and fries to go from Hillsdale House and wow it was really good!

reasonable prices, too!

https://www.hillsdalehouse1797.com

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just got in from skiing, ravenous and cold. The bath awaits but I wish I could get Scotty to beam me up some of those eats you are enumerating.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You really should be on the local Tourism Board!
    Helped to live in the town for several years and have one of the town planning board members as my landlord.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
    We just grabbed burgers and fries to go from Hillsdale House and wow it was really good!

reasonable prices, too!

https://www.hillsdalehouse1797.com

SPP
    Another good comfort food place! In the last few years, Hillsdale has gone from spare to plentiful in the food department. Just hope they make it.

Mt Washington House used to have burger Wednesdays that were pretty popular. Not sure what they are up to now. Quite a history that place has evidently.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Storm coming this week is weird. We were supposed to get 8” over Mon and Tue but now it looks more like 3-4”. Then Thurs-Fri we are supposed to get 8”. Day temps will be below freezing and night temps down to single digits so whatever we get will stay around for a while. At least until next week when more snow may be coming.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whatever comes won't damage the conditions we have. Today was the first 30 degree day in awhile, but it did not go above freezing, so whether skating or diagonal it was good.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a Flexible Flyer upstairs in my garage and when this freezes up I might have to go find some snowmobile trails west of town. Freezing rain and sleet all night in the Dorptown.

Cycling content, of which my contributions lately have sorely been lacking: yesterday early before first light I was running out to get some thin set and saw lights in the woods in the park. Somebody was on their mountain bike on the trails.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it safe to go skiing this winter? I'm pretty scared to go anywhere crowded.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by seibl View Post
    I think your issue will not be the lifts and hills, but Apres-ski and/or lunch.

From what I have seen and heard from friends, the ski resorts are doing a good job. No shared lifts, no walk up tickets, etc etc Restricting capacity, although at Mammoth 3 weeks ago, you'd be hard pressed to not think you were in a line at Disneyland.

If you are wearing a mask+gloves+goggles and are outdoors, I think transmission is lower than being at a supermarket. If you brownbag your lunch, or bring a grill,
    I think you will be okay.

It just seems more expensive for tickets unless you have one of the epic/ikon passes.
    A lot to be said for going to the parking lot early and having a cook out.

img

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Raining 34F on its way to 42F evidently. 34F must have been the threshold temperature, because we had rain but clear air and now totally fogged up. Ground/Snow/Air temp differential causing spontaneous ground clouds. A couple hours ago everything was coated with ice, including our concrete porch. Made for an exciting step-outside-to-check-temp.
    Last edited by j44ke; 02-16-2021 at 10:29 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    Whatever comes won't damage the conditions we have. Today was the first 30 degree day in awhile, but it did not go above freezing, so whether skating or diagonal it was good.
    I'm not sure current conditions outside my house bear this out. I think this crust is going to be a battle until we get a little more snow. Can't complain - it's been four straight weeks of sweet skiing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was so hopeful on opening day. Numbers were low, everyone was following the rules... it was a great day. Since then it’s been mixed. It feels like vail is only restricting reservations nominally and as lines get longer, people get more frustrated, and rules start being ignored. However, echoing Doug, I’ve had a great, and I believe safe, time being first in line in the AM (tahoe weekends means 1hr before lifts start) skiing non-stop for around 4 hours and then calling it a day before the crowds really hit, and the behavior takes a turn for the worse. Pre-dawn uphill at kirkwood and diamond peak has been a great time.

XC groomed areas have been golden—zero issues. Backcountry has actually been difficult due to a massive increase in users. Another get-there-first situation for parking and the trailhead crunch. In Tahoe, it’s been good 7-7:30, but after 8 sno parks are full. Secret spots are still good if you have them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    I'm not sure current conditions outside my house bear this out. I think this crust is going to be a battle until we get a little more snow. Can't complain - it's been four straight weeks of sweet skiing.
    Snowmobile trails were being groomed as I came home last night. Hopefully people have sense enough to stay off the ski trails, or we will have to deal with the consequences. I am hugely tired today so will likely stick to pulling snow off roofs while it's warm.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A downhill skier's report: I bought passes for me and my snowboard-learning kid this year so we can go up for part of the day, or just night skiing, and park and ride away from the main lodge. We've both felt safe on the slopes and the lifts. There are always a few people who need to "forget" to mask up in the line, but I haven't seen many of them, and the lifties and fellow customers are not letting them get away with it.

If there's a long line, we'll avoid it or be militant about our space getting through it (and then avoid it).
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Family tradition in my brother's household is when it gets like today out there and then freezes up they go over to the (closed) Ascutney access road with sleds, hike up and sled down.

So I was thinking about that this morning and I got the idea of strapping a couple bike lights to my Flexible Flier, going up to Wilmington and hiking to the top of Whiteface in the night after the groomers were done and seeing if I could make it all the way back to the base without stopping still alive. Karen doesn't think I could and won't take my bet.
    Tom Ambros