Thread: The XC Skiing thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The XC Skiing thread

Quote Originally Posted by Moke View Post
    Well, we still suck in Montana. I just bought ice skates as there are several flooded school yards/parks around town. One even has a Zamboni. Not too sure the skiis will get used this year. Waxed up they sit and no snow.
    Unbelievable.
    We had a trip to Yellowstone planned, we were supposed to fly out next week.
    It got cancelled over the summer when the NPS said the hotels would be closed.
    Are you saying we have better snow conditions in upstate NY than we would have had at Yellowstone?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moke View Post
    Well, we still suck in Montana. I just bought ice skates as there are several flooded school yards/parks around town. One even has a Zamboni. Not too sure the skiis will get used this year. Waxed up they sit and no snow.
    Cold weather without snow is the worst. Condolances.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you would have better snow in NYC or Boston this week. You can look at the web cams in Jellystone. They have some snow but not huge dumps. I am in Western Montana. Not much grooming going on except at the downhill areas and on top of the passes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know very little about skis, especially these days.

used to ski down hill 30 years ago, and have xc skied some an equal number of years ago, on very basic (ie crappy) equipment.

Is there a "jack of all trades" backcountry type ski that could be used for both xc type skiing as well as downhill, being that Catamount is close by?

I think I already know the answer, and a lot of it has to do with ability...but I thought I'd ask anyway.

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post

Is there a "jack of all trades" backcountry type ski that could be used for both xc type skiing as well as downhill?

SPP
    Yes! But yeah, there's going to be some trade offs somewhere. I really like my objective BC skis, but they are really downhill skis that are able to go on the flats/ups. Asnes makes a wide variety of skis for adventure, and something like the Ingstad would be much faster as a xc ski, and still not too difficult to turn on the downhills. The Fischer E99 is an even better xc ski, but now it's getting into skis that are harder to turn and make downhills tolerable, not fun. If you really want to try something cheap, and are ok with a challenge, USGI Asnes surplus skis can be found for $30 a pair. Kickwax only, 200 or 210cm, and very old school, but the OG go anywhere ski.

How much control and comfort on the downhill you have is going to come down to your boot and binding choices. I've skied NNN-BC bindings and Alpina Alaskas on green circles inbounds... and sometimes even looked like I was in control. It's really hard though. Old school 75mm bindings and stiff soles are what I think the right choice is. But if you're looking to spend... the AT gear is just so light and nice these days--I just personally don't like the way it feels on the flats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A friend in Europe who skis mentioned the Vasaloppet. As in, you should get skis and then we'll do the Vasaloppet together. So I looked it up. Hmm, I think not.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    A friend in Europe who skis mentioned the Vasaloppet. As in, you should get skis and then we'll do the Vasaloppet together. So I looked it up. Hmm, I think not.

That old trick... French fries when you shoulda pizza’d.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nah, you should get skis so you can do this (this was yesterday. Outstanding powder.):

IMG_2145.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jorn,

People are giving you bad advice. You don't need one ski which is shitty at everything good at nothing. You need a snowmobile. And you need a quiver of skis. A proper quiver.

I think the solo snowboard, snowmobile pickup is awesome. Home made ski lift and you don't need to sandbag a buddy to take turns driving.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I need a dog!

I just need to get back up to Adams, MA and give the guy at Berkshire Outfitters my money and be done with it.
    Last edited by j44ke; 02-09-2021 at 10:30 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    Jorn,

People are giving you bad advice. You don't need one ski which is shitty at everything good at nothing. You need a snowmobile. And you need a quiver of skis. A proper quiver.
    Ha, the first pair of skis is just a foot in the door.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think I need a dog!

I just need to get back up to Adams, MA and give the guy at Berkshire Outfitters my money and be done with it.
    This is the right answer. We are in the middle of one of the best stretches of natural-snow skiing I can remember. Don't let any more of it go by. Get some skis and go fall down somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I lost count. How many people did that first guy take out?
    Tom Ambros

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yikes, that's painful to watch.

The real reason not to do the Swedish Vasa is that it's 90-frickin-k of flat classic skiing. So flat that lots of the top guys double pole the entire thing on skate skis.

Take a peak at about 15:10, and then basically the entire second half. This must be the inspiration for death metal.

Last edited by caleb; 02-09-2021 at 12:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    Jorn,

I think the solo snowboard, snowmobile pickup is awesome. Home made ski lift and you don't need to sandbag a buddy to take turns driving.
    We now have in excess of two feet on the ground and the local State Forest has been groomed twice so the roadways are compacted and flat, perfect for skating. Big ring skiing. More snow is coming down now, more is on its way. I am foregoing taking a day off a week, despite being tired, because the skiing is so good.

There has already been a snowmobile fatality in Hawley, though I don't know the specifics. But when I was out on Sunday in a snowstorm a group went by without slowing appreciably- I move to the edge of the trail completely out of the way- and I watched them disappear into the gloaming, dusk mixed with swirling snow from their passage, and it was clear visibility was not on a par with velocity.

Jorn, I have several pairs of skis you are welcome to borrow as well as poles I think will fit. I can drop them at Berkshire for you. Just get some boots compatible with Pilot bindings. I am partial to old skis that actually have an upswept tip because they work in less than stellar conditions, such as snowmobile trails. The new skis are made for perfect tracks and just don't cut it in the woods.

Lumpy- you probably already have this, but it's a map of the local snowmobile trails: https://www.sledmass.com/trail-repor...owmobile-club/
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    Jorn, I have several pairs of skis you are welcome to borrow as well as poles I think will fit. I can drop them at Berkshire for you. Just get some boots compatible with Pilot bindings. I am partial to old skis that actually have an upswept tip because they work in less than stellar conditions, such as snowmobile trails. The new skis are made for perfect tracks and just don't cut it in the woods...
    Jay that is super generous. However the family covid protocol has put the kibosh on a trip to the Adams ski shop, at least until I am vaccinated. So I'll just have to make thrashing around on snowshoes what it is for the time being. Thanks though!
    Last edited by j44ke; 02-09-2021 at 07:09 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today's powder shot features our pal csb who many of you know and love, along with Lexi and Mrs. CNY.

IMG_8671.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    Lumpy- you probably already have this, but it's a map of the local snowmobile trails: https://www.sledmass.com/trail-repor...owmobile-club/
    I hadn't seen that map, actually, so thanks. It's really well done. I know my way around most of the stuff here in my parish, but wasn't aware of some of the other networks.

Just got back from a lovely evening tour in 5 inches of fresh fluffy snow, across our neighbors' farm fields, then through a fenceline into another neighbor's groomed private reserve, and back. About 80-90 minutes. No people, no sleds, heard some coyotes and a barred owl.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The woods rule. Hawley had another eight. I knew going down Middle Road that the climb back up from Pudding Hollow would be a slog, but did it anyway.

Turning around to look at my tracks stitching up the hill I realized the pattern looks like Kanji, the symbol for "human" writ over and over up the trail.

No sleds today either. Had I gone in the morning it would have been slick with just a few inches on yesterday's grooming. Would have been perfect.

After four weeks I am feeling adapted.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Downhill slope style.

i dont know why last one was restricted