Appleton WI -- home of Harry Houdini and Rocky Bleier
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The XC Skiing thread

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    I am going to opine that if it's a slog you don't get it at all: it's a dance, pure and simple.
    Yes! That's even the language the Norge's use for several skate techniques -- single dance and double dance. And that's how I can feel when I'm in the zone on my tele skis.

Of course, knowing the dance is there can really do your head in when for whatever reason is becomes a slog. And like the man with the hammer, the dance becomes a slog at times of its' own choosing... But when it all comes together, wow.
    Last edited by teleguy57; 12-17-2018 at 10:25 PM. Reason: speeling, um, spelling

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you gotta have swing, syncopation, and synchronicity

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Local shops seem to only have a couple skis and a pair of boots thrown into a dusty corner. I would have expected more XC stuff up here, what with Great Barrington being so Patagucci hip and all. Looks like Kenco Outfitters in Kingston has Fischer stuff. Where are the good shops?
    Berkshire Outfitters in Adams, Massachusetts. 413 743 5900.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right effin' today at BREIA.
    Outstanding conditions; fresh powder on top of frozen glacier, would have made it to perfect with another 2 inches of powder.
    What a great start to the season up here. I've now had 8 ski days and still a week before Christmas.
    The upcoming rainstorm later this week looks ugly though.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    Berkshire Outfitters in Adams, Massachusetts. 413 743 5900.
    ask a guy who knows

I am partial to older ski designs, and Steve has over the years had a few choice pair that I have bought: my Karhu Volcan are brilliant in new and deep snow, because they have proper upswept tip and are wider than average. My RS11's are the best all around ski I have ever had. Zach Caldwell told me they would never be fast, but I will take stable over fast any day for some of the skiing I do: night skiing on the VAST system, or in Hawley. There is little I have done to compare with the exhilaration of being out in the middle of nowhere under a full moon, the world around dead quiet and peaceful.

The newest designs are great on perfectly groomed trails, but do not thrive in the rough stuff. Prospect is perfectly groomed, and worth the trip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Field trip planned after the holidays.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You guys all suck. We got nothin so far. When the grooming report reads "nothin but deep ruts and tempered ice up here. Only recommend skiing during the the hours the Bone and Joint Clinic are open" probably tells the conditions better than I ever could. Sigh, bed we are waxed up and ready just in case.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ask a guy who knows

I am partial to older ski designs, and Steve has over the years had a few choice pair that I have bought: my Karhu Volcan are brilliant in new and deep snow, because they have proper upswept tip and are wider than average. My RS11's are the best all around ski I have ever had. Zach Caldwell told me they would never be fast, but I will take stable over fast any day for some of the skiing I do: night skiing on the VAST system, or in Hawley. There is little I have done to compare with the exhilaration of being out in the middle of nowhere under a full moon, the world around dead quiet and peaceful.

The newest designs are great on perfectly groomed trails, but do not thrive in the rough stuff. Prospect is perfectly groomed, and worth the trip.
    Just picked up my backcountry boots from Outfitters this afternoon, with new Boa wires installed.

Last pair of skis I bought there was a pair of all-round waxless Fischer Country Crowns, for hacking around on trails when the snow's too variable for good waxing. Basic ski but a big step up from its predecessor. Much more turnable. Runs quieter too.

Those Volcans look cool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought a pair of Kastle's not long ago that we used at the '76 Olympics: metal edges and clear base. Big gear skis.

I have five pairs of skis from 183 to 195 for different conditions. Most bought used, or old stock, so not super pricey. They last for decades: Nomex is an amazing material.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought a pair of Kastle's not long ago that we used at the '76 Olympics: metal edges and clear base. Big gear skis.

I have five pairs of skis from 183 to 195 for different conditions. Most bought used, or old stock, so not super pricey. They last for decades: Nomex is an amazing material.
    Hmmm.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, I see that

memory is fungible

must have been Innsbruck

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No I’m just saying that if you skied in the Olympics, let’s hear the story!
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

48 degrees yesterday afternoon in the City of Lakes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Oh, that looks beautiful. It's pretty lean around here although the high school kids are getting their races in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not hearing good things about the state of the base here in the Pacific Northwet. My kid goes up for snowboard lessons starting Friday. Maybe the hills will cool off by then.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    Oh, that looks beautiful. It's pretty lean around here although the high school kids are getting their races in.
    Everything you see in the photo above is fake snow. Looking out my window right now, it's 38 degrees, and all that's left of the natural snow is ice mounds in places where there were shoveling piles.

We're fortunate that about twenty years ago some forward-thinking people understood that climate change was going to make nordic skiing on natural snow in southern Minnesota no longer viable as a major sport, and in response they started raising money and building artificial snow infrastructure. Now we have three systems in town with 5-6k artificial loops each, and a number of smaller artificial loops. The loop in the picture above will host the World Cup in 2020.

Without the fake snow, skiing here would be on life support or dead. We just don't get a consistent, real snowpack anymore. Snowmaking has done wonders, even if it's not quite the same as real snow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow. So is there refrigeration built into the course bed or is it just piles of man-made snow keeping itself cold?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Wow. So is there refrigeration built into the course bed or is it just piles of man-made snow keeping itself cold?
    There's no refrigeration, just 3-5' of compacted snow on top of frozen ground. That much snow can take a lot of warm weather. Here's a photo I snapped last week on a different system that might give you a little more sense of the trail depth:

The snow is made overnight when it's cold, usually starting in mid- to late-November.

Getting the infrastructure in place and then operating it are significant tasks. Water lines are run along the trail (a junction box is visible in the lower right of the photo above), and then snow guns are moved around the system to make snow where needed. The snow is later pushed around with a Piston Bully to even out the base. It's a similar approach to downhill areas, with similar equipment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The other day we were doing some washing machine repair in VT, and realized that XC nationals were being held not to far away at Crafstbury. Bummed to have missed it. If I missed any form of cycling nationals that close by, i'd be very surprised. We did catch the last few runs of the womens slalom world cup at Killington which was super cool though, so we arent oblivious to all things snow related.

I just purchased a very cheap BC ski set up. Old Black diamond skis, with Marker frame bindings. I dont hear good things about frame bindings, but happy to get into the woods on something other than snow shoes, also very nice to not have to buy AT boots yet. Waxless fishscale bases on BC skis are apparently real good in our neighborhood, so considering testing cutting my own into some old skis I have around and experimenting a bit.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Appleton WI -- home of Harry Houdini and Rocky Bleier
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moke View Post
    You guys all suck. We got nothin so far. When the grooming report reads "nothin but deep ruts and tempered ice up here. Only recommend skiing during the the hours the Bone and Joint Clinic are open" probably tells the conditions better than I ever could. Sigh, bed we are waxed up and ready just in case.
    And four weeks later that's my story in my part of WI too. 3-hr drive minimum to find skiable snow, although when you get far enough north it gets fairly decent.

Also appreciating the pics on man-made trails. Something a local nordic club (with an great biathlon program as of last year!) has on their radar. Lot's of other pieces have to fall in place first.