give me a call before you leave,
    and i'll meet you over there...
    ...and I've got the town. Let's talk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tend to keep at least one bike in each category: Road, Mtn, Cross, Track, TT, Sunday to the park, etc. And in each category I ride exactly what I want, with no lusting after my neighbor's ride.

If I had to narrow the list to one discipline, one bike . . . I would keep my Pegoretti Marcelo.

If they were all taken from me and I could get anything on the planet, but only one . . . I would get a Pegoretti Marcelo.

Simply the finest bike for me ever built.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default For sure...

...it is the trixie-sized Richard Sach's bicycle which I do not have. White with Belgium Baby Blue Atmo all over it. Perfect!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have been putting in the hours of late on an old Merckx Corsa Extra that i built up w/old parts, and i'll tell you what, i'm in love w/it and can't imagine having much more fun on anything else. then again, i haven't ridden tons and tons of bikes like a lot of you folks. having said that, i am eternally on the search for the right MX Leader. that is the one i'm spankin for :cheers:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dbrk View Post

Let me add one more thing: I value the bikes that evoke a personal relationship way more than, say, my Colnagos or a rare bike that didn't connect me to the builder. When I take my Sachs, I think of RS, the Mariposa Mike Barry, and the Singers or Toei/Ebisu my long connection with those shops and persons (Csuka, Iimura). I can sell the Colnago, buy another one (maybe) but Ernesto and I aren't pals and some bikes are not only great, they are part of a relationship I value.

I like this.

My entire gig (teaching) is about relationships, so maybe I am force fed or have bought into this more then most.

I will be getting a bike mid june that I have lusted over for a bit. The best part of it is the relationship I have with a few of the folks. One in particular. Friendship can add a value to something that causes the owner to see it worth more then another.

It will ride as well as my old one. It will look different, but will be built to the same geo and rock just as hard.

The relationship with the people mean more to me then anything. The bike will be a tool for great times and as I listen to much wiser people then I, it is the experiences that mean the most. One bike or 100 bikes; doesn't really matter to me.
    Dave Bradley...not the grumpy old Hogwarts caretaker "Mr. Filch" or the star of American Ninja 3 and 4.

formerly "Mr.President"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd vote for one of Zank's MAX bikes. :thumbs_up:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The problem with this question is that it supposes that what we want will ride, handle, etc. as well as we expect. Good looks & status don't necessarily equal the bike we'd want to be sitting on for the rest of our riding lives. I think it would be cool to have a Peg BLE, but in my size (49 or 50cm), it might be a bit tough to take for a hundred miles.

If I had to choose among what I already own (Peg Palosanto, Grandis Overmax Light, Kelly Bone Stock, a couple different Masi 3V, Cannondale R400, 3Rensho Katana-S, Sachs Road, Colnago Master Light, Masi Gran Criterium) and whatever other bikes I'd ridden, I'd keep the Grandis. It's got some level of exclusivity, amazing detail work, it's a bit lighter than a full Max frame (but still bombproof), and it rides better than anything else I've ridden.

Regards,
    Tom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This one.

I am sooo pleased with this bike. To this day, I havent ridden a better one...

Sorry, not trying to pat myself on the back, but this bike rocks in every way.

I like the builder, too....

DW

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Only One Bike???

Then it would have to be the one that puts the biggest smile on your face every time you go out for a ride - and also makes you want to do that everyday!!!!

That is the one perfect bike for each of us and the make and color is individual to that lust...Lets all go ride!!

Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oddly enough, both of the bicycles that have pushed me to this conclusion are/were owned by the same person. The Evel Kirk and the Dirty Kirk terraplane with wooden fenders.

Kirk definitely (terraplane probably), final answer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I had one bike it would have to be versatile and comfy so clearance for 35mm tires with fenders minimum would be required. Provisions to mount racks would also be good. I think it would have to be steel or ti to do this.
    My Rivendells and Hampsten Strada Bianca could suffice but the SB has no provisions for fenders and racks. I could order another one that would have them though. It does have plenty of clearance and a fine ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the original question was if you could have only one STEEL bike, what would it be. I'm not sure that means a do-everything bike (maybe you could have another ti bike for that, or several?) but just your favorite road bike. I'm sure there are a bunch of equally great ones, but I'd have to get TK and Jeff to build me a steel version of my favorite bike. My ti Spectrum is the only bike I've ever had that made me stop wanting to check out other bikes. And I don't think its because its ti. So I'd get roughly the same thing in steel. Its just a road bike and its not even a do-everything road bike, but its the one I put 90+ percent of my miles on.

-Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The personal relationship effect is the biggest thing for me, as with dbrk and Mr. President. While I would never own just one, if I was forced to, the answer would be easy - due to the personal attention bestowed upon its creation, that one bike would have to be my Hampsten Strada Bianca.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default A -------

" RICHARD SACHS"

ronnie :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My only real expierence with steel road bikes is my Strong and I love it. It is very utilitarian, no flash, and that is what I wanted. I would love to add to the stable and then make my choice.....

Short list:

Vanilla
    Kirk
    Strong
    Peg
    Sachs
    Zanc

Anybody have one in a 56/57 that needs a new home :) ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My all steel Serotta CDA or if I were to have one built, one of the following- Kelly Bedford, Dave Kirk, or Tom Kellogg. With a Serotta, Bedford, Kirk, or Kellogg, you have a truly superior bike. In addition, I have met Kelly Bedford, Tom Kellogg, and Ben Serotta. Have not met Dave Kirk, but have communicated with him. The four seem to belong in the same basket- Genuine, sincere, helpful, humble, remarkably knowledgeable, and caring. I Like dealing with people like that.

Sandy
    Adopt An Animal!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just read this thread thru again. Puts a smile on my face. I vote this is Wiki-Worthy.

Hear a second for that emotion?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2nd! I keep coming back and reading it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Just read this thread thru again. Puts a smile on my face. I vote this is Wiki-Worthy.

Hear a second for that emotion?

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only One? Would have to be a sick cross bike with two wheelsets, one with knobbies and one with slicks.......

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast