Likes Likes:  0

Thread: DC Area Hotel for Spring Break Family Trip

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default DC Area Hotel for Spring Break Family Trip

I'm planning to take my wife and daughter to the Washington DC area the week of April 18 for a family sightseeing trip. I'm looking for recommendations for a hotel in the DC/NoVA/MD area that would be convenient to a Metro stop, reasonably priced, and family friendly (indoor pool for kid, fitness room for mom/dad, etc...).

Thanks,
    Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: DC Area Hotel for Spring Break Family Trip

I can't speak to amenities of individual hotels, but if you're looking for reasonable costs, particularly the week before Easter, I'd recommend Arlington. Go to WMATA and get the addresses for the Ballston and Courthouse Metro stops, then Google hotels within 1/2 mile of each. These are on the Orange line which'll take you right into DC, to the Mall, museums, etc. Also Courthouse is reasonably walking distance to Georgetown. The bonus is that there are good restaurants all around (Particularly Courthouse/Clarendon), so if you have a long day in DC and want to chill at your hotel before dinner, you don't have to trek back into the city.

Drop me a line if you have any specific questions.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have stayed at both of these in the last few years... I think Key Bridge Marriot charges parking and don't think the Virginian does. parking. The Virginian is closer to Metro stops but no indoor pool. Key Bridge Marriot is a walk of the Key Bridge to DC but not as close to Metro from my memory... but still walking sistance. Both are good places. Virginian is super close to Iwo Jima memorial and Arlington Cemetary.

Hotels near Georgetown University | Key Bridge Marriott

Washington DC Hotel Suites - Washington DC Suite Hotels - The Virginian Suites

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a Metro stop in Rosslyn just a block or two from the Key Bridge Marriott; I also believe the Marriott provides a shuttle to the Metro (which would be good for inclement weather days). Key Bridge Marriott is VERY convenient location for trips into DC or walking across the Key Bridge into Georgetown proper.

Don't forget bike shop visits; Georgetown Pro Bike is at the foot of the Key bridge and CycleLife (both have some serious high-end zoot) is almost underneath the Key Bridge on K St. Check them out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've stayed with my family at the Marriot a few blocks from the zoo. I was surprised the rate was as low as it was July 4th weekend, $129/ night or something close to that. It's 3 block from the zoo and maybe 100 yards from the metro.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I've stayed with my family at the Marriot a few blocks from the zoo. I was surprised the rate was as low as it was July 4th weekend, $129/ night or something close to that. It's 3 block from the zoo and maybe 100 yards from the metro.
    What Jon said. This is a superb location AND there is an share bike program located very close by with stations located all over the city plan to bring helmets and small backpacks :)

Also, cabs are not expensive and they are good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you stay in the Woodley Park/Nat'l Zoo area, do yourself a favor and eat at Open City a time or two. I fancy myself somewhat of a chicken salad expert and theirs is hands-down the best I've ever had. French toast w/ walnut&banana compote is also recommended for breakfast.

When I'm in DC my wife and I always stay right across the road from Open City (how we originally found it) at the Omni Shoreham on Calvert Street. Nice old historic hotel that has been kept up very well. Might not be the most kid friendly place, they have a pool but it's outdoors.

There is a very convienient Metro stop about a block away on the Red line just a couple stops from Metro Center where you can swich to blue/orange and get to the Smithsonian museums, Arlington Cem, and all the Mall stuff pretty easily.

I really love DC - we try to go every year, generally in the fall time when it's less crowded.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TACSTS View Post
    If you stay in the Woodley Park/Nat'l Zoo area, do yourself a favor and eat at Open City a time or two. I fancy myself somewhat of a chicken salad expert and theirs is hands-down the best I've ever had. French toast w/ walnut&banana compote is also recommended for breakfast.

When I'm in DC my wife and I always stay right across the road from Open City (how we originally found it) at the Omni Shoreham on Calvert Street. Nice old historic hotel that has been kept up very well. Might not be the most kid friendly place, they have a pool but it's outdoors.

There is a very convienient Metro stop about a block away on the Red line just a couple stops from Metro Center where you can swich to blue/orange and get to the Smithsonian museums, Arlington Cem, and all the Mall stuff pretty easily.

I really love DC - we try to go every year, generally in the fall time when it's less crowded.
    Ooooo, a long time ago the Woodley Park Hotel used to have the best sunday brunch. I rate these according to how many glasses you can line up infront of your plate ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I fancy myself somewhat of a chicken salad expert and theirs is hands-down the best I've ever had. French toast w/ walnut&banana compote is also recommended for breakfast.
    Dude, talk to me about chicken salad. Me too. I can probably describe to you in detail the chicken salad that I eat on a regular basis from more than a dozen establishments.

Next time you're in DC, do yourself a favor and go to the historic Eastern Market and get yourself a smoked chicken salad sub from Jose at the Canales Deli. Probably a good idea to try an empenada from his other location, Toritalla Cafe, just across the street. Eastern Market is such a culinary delight. Oh yeah, and the house-made sausage from Union Meat Co., and the french toast from Market Lunch...

..the Omni Shoreham on Calvert Street. Nice old historic hotel that has been kept up very well. Might not be the most kid friendly place, they have a pool but it's outdoors.
    For all you legal types, I took the MPRE here. Place is immense and gorgeous, but unfortunately lacks the pool requirement, and I'm not sure what it costs to stay there, but I'm sure it's a pretty penny. The Marriott is right next door and has awesome access.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having experienced it, I would suggest The Willard. Nice pad, great location, pretty swank. Room rates vary.

D.C. creeps me out--too many slimy politicians, black SUV's and hidden cameras that aren't hidden. Bring Purel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a Residence Inn not far from the Rosslyn stop. About a block and a half from the west entrance to the Metro. A few blocks up the street is a Red Hot and Blue BBQ place. Not bad for chain BBQ. A few blocks the other way is the Marine Memorial.

Unlike the previous poster, I like history and enjoy DC. been there about 8 times on side trips to the Washington DC office of League of American Bicyclists.

When in D.C. make sure you set aside two days to go through the Newseum. Can't do it in one. Get a bike taxi and have them take you to the monuments by night. Great to see. Favorite building? the Thomas Jefferson Building of the Library of Congress. Only building built under budget and before deadline. The Italian renaissance decor is beautiful. National Portrait Gallery and the National Building Museum are also must see things to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey I was joking...my last trip there involved lobbyists and getting body cavity searches from secret service...so my image of dc is limited to trains, hotel, meeting after meeting after meeting then train home....and yes I bring small portable tube of purel hand sanitizer!
    Quote Originally Posted by bikinchris View Post

Unlike the previous poster, I like history and enjoy DC. been there about 8 times on side trips to the Washington DC office of League of American Bicyclists.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The International Spy Museum is cool...make reservations.

Home | International Spy Museum

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In case you are still looking for a hotel, check out the Westin Arlington Gateway. It is a beautiful hotel just off of the Custis Trail and the WO&D trails. You are a block from the Balston metro and if you are drving in to town, it is right off of 66. I stay there once or twice a month. They are bike friendly too, I keep my bike in my room all the time there.

-Joe