User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Beef -- it's what's for dinner (no cycling content)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Beef -- it's what's for dinner (no cycling content)

Well, ironically I served up some beef stew for dinner tonight, somewhat Provencal ...

In true Euro fashion, here are vague directions (use Staub Cocotte for best success -- bride got me a 13.25 qt for the holidays)

Brown some cubed bacon in the pot (good bacon, like this -- black pig meat company - sonoma county), remove from pot
    Saute shallots in said fat ... then remove from pot and drain onions over a bowl through a sieve.
    Add fat and one tablespoon olive oil and brown stew meat (I prefer 2-3 oz pieces) on all sides, salting as they are turned
    Separately, saute tomatoes in olive oil and salt to make a tomato sauce just enough to coat the pieces of meat, but keep in the separate pan
    Once meat is browned, lower heat, sprinkle a bit of flour and pepper on top, saute for 1 minute, raise heat and deglaze with white wine
    Add tomato sauce, herbes de provence or bouquet garni, add enough beef broth (or, ack, water) to cover, and bring to a boil.

Adjust heat to a bare simmer, cover and cook 2-3 hours until meat is very tender (flame tamer may be necessary)

Meanwhile, saute brown mushrooms in olive oil and salt.

Once meat is tender, pull out the meat, and reduce sauce ( a reduction pan works best) until thick.
    Then add beef, mushrooms, black olives (pitted if desired), a grinding of pepper, and cook, covered over low heat for 10-15 minutes until flavors are blended.

Enjoy! I recommend a nice Cotes-du-Rhone or Gigondas (try something from Saint-Cosme).

Tip:
    To expand for a crowd (or kids), add (cooked) gnocchi 5 minutes from end of cooking time, along with a green vegetable such a sauteed zucchini in olive oil (use the same pot as the mushrooms).

If you do not add gnocchi, you should have leftover sauce which is awesome with pasta as a leftover dish that nobody will think of as leftovers!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Beef -- it's what's for dinner (no cycling content)

damn, now I'm hungry

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Beef -- it's what's for dinner (no cycling content)

OUTSTANDING description. I'm 110% sure that was good.
    BTW congrats on the cookware, nice score.