Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Things I want, like, now.

Quote Originally Posted by funcrusher View Post
    Very helpful...thank you!!
    FWIIW apparently, all Rovers eventually go to Costa Rica where they live out their 4th 5th 6th....lives.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    FWIIW apparently, all Rovers eventually go to Costa Rica where they live out their 4th 5th 6th....lives.
    Yup. Those of us in the US/UK etc see but the first act of these vehicles' lives.
    I have heard and read the same thing about Landcruisers, 4Runners, etc. There's a floor to the domestic sale price, below which they take a sea trip and keep on keepin' on.

when my dad's first gen Mercedes ML class had 170k miles on it, he put it on the local classifieds and the next day a Russian from Sheepshead Bay came and bought it for cash with the plan to put it on a boat back to mother Russia to doubtlessly drive another 200k.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

luis prado alonso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Locking differentials in a Radio Controlled 4X4?!? Dang. That's neat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh man, I need that. NEED. Not want.

Yes, I'm an RC nerd.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just lust.

e400.jpg
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    Just lust.

e400.jpg
    I saw one of those on the road the other day. I was thinking lustful automotive thoughts as well. That's a good looking and desirable automobile.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just lust.

e400.jpg
    I walked by some of those in Dusseldorf (staying next to a Mercedes dealership) when I was there for the Tour. Europe gets all the nice wagons and hatchbacks. Exceedingly handsome in person.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by murphy View Post
    I walked by some of those in Dusseldorf (staying next to a Mercedes dealership) when I was there for the Tour. Europe gets all the nice wagons and hatchbacks. Exceedingly handsome in person.
    I love wagons. A week in central London, watching hundreds of small wagons scoot through traffic, was almost painful. What the hell is wrong with Americans that we'd rather teeter around the suburbs in SUVs?

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I saw one of those on the road the other day. I was thinking lustful automotive thoughts as well. That's a good looking and desirable automobile.
    From Car & Driver's review:

Our fully loaded example came to $88,405. If there’s a time or a place for suggesting that an expensive car’s price seems too low, it is here. Wealth impersonator and 1980s icon Ferris Bueller said it best (even if he was describing a Ferrari): “It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.”

So noted.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by murphy View Post
    Additionally, Europeans get a far more complete options palette.

I remember taking a cab in Vienna once that was an E-Class sedan and it was a 2-liter diesel with a manual transmission and performance was totally sufficient, using probably half the fuel of the larger engined variations that are the only ones offered in the US.

I just built this on the MBUSA website. It quickly gets into the mid-$70K range....... Ouch..!! But I'm sure rear space is every bit as good as a giant SUV and it's a more drivable vehicle as well.

My desire for a Toyota Land Cruiser is well documented but the MB E-Class wagon is likely a much more practical car to use and probably has more room behind the driver, in a car weighing much less and with a smaller outside footprint.

It's clearly a luscious piece of engineering.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What the hell is wrong with Americans that we'd rather teeter around the suburbs in SUVs?

You already know the unfortunate answer. As 'mericans, we always think bigger is better. We northeast liberals do not represent the far larger F-150 pickup driving public that is the USA. There is a reason it is the #1 selling auto in the US of A.

* When we use it, my wife and I have an '09 Subaru Outback that replaced an '00 Outback that replaced a 90s Saab 9000 hatchback (still sad GM killed Saab).
    ** and possibly one of my favorite small hatchback's off all time is the Saabaru aka Saab 9.2x (Sold/Styled by Saab and built by Subaru on the Impreza platform. And yes, it still had the key on the floor between the front seats like a proper Saab)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

--- a righteous 1980 nos international scout..

ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    You already know the unfortunate answer. As 'mericans, we always think bigger is better. We northeast liberals do not represent the far larger F-150 pickup driving public that is the USA. There is a reason it is the #1 selling auto in the US of A.
    I don't think it's that simple. It's fashion - about being macho, whatever your gender - as much as anything. Otherwise we'd still all be driving minivans instead of the SUVs built on the same platforms, but with less interior space and worse mileage.

And you bought a 9-2 instead of an Impreza?!? I thought my TSX wagon was obscure.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think it's that simple. It's fashion - about being macho, whatever your gender - as much as anything. Otherwise we'd still all be driving minivans instead of the SUVs built on the same platforms, but with less interior space and worse mileage.

And you bought a 9-2 instead of an Impreza?!? I thought my TSX wagon was obscure.
    I do not mean this to sound sexist but I do feel bad for women who must drive oversized SUVs/Trucks because their husbands bought it from them (ex. Machismo). My otherwise very intelligent older brother bought the Ford Expedition EL (extended length) for his wife. By the time she damaged all four fenders (not because she is a woman but because she knows she is not a great driver and did not want something so big) he took the truck for himself and got her an Explorer which is what she wanted in the first place (they live in CO).

We already had the '00 Outback. I test drove the 92x Aero when GM was giving them away in late '06 and thought it would be a great second car (for the 'burbs of NJ) but our 1940s house wanted new plumbing and electrical so the car purchase was cancelled. I did get my motorcycle license and an '08 Yamaha Vino 125cc scooter as our "second vehicle" that was my wife's consolation prize to me for missing out on the Saabaru.

If you had/have the AWD TSX wagon that really is a unicorn. We looked at the TSX awd wagon before getting the '09 Outback (my wife hated the '10 Outback because it was bigger and she is the primary driver) but it was either not being brought over in AWD anymore or it was one of the years the wagon was not available. I do not really remember but that car is a keeper.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still one of my favorite Top Gear episodes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

truck.jpg

Yes, it has a black plastic grill and a fake hood vent. Its a TRD Off Road because that's the sweet spot. It's body-on-frame with an actual 4x4. Its not a TRD Pro because I'm not a flat-brim wearing dad. This is before I took off the running boards and chrome exhaust tip. $440 worth of add-on nonsense.

My lady got a Subaru Forrester because she has some goddamned sense.

My head hits the roof in a Tacoma.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just lust.
    This is what we replaced our jetta tdi wagon with last fall.

IMG_0407.jpg

Dealer had it at the back of the lot not showing up as new. It was a 2015 with 57 miles on the odometer but, priced as used. Salesman was incredulous we wanted to buy it. Almost an even trade for the VW settlement. It's the diesel, and I'm not sure I'll ever want to drive anything else. It is, as the man said, so choice.
    This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still lusting at the S4 Avant here. Good compromise IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only Audi 4 wagon we Americans get is the Allroad.

img-1076442309-1484680815144.jpg

I'd take it, but wish I could have the S4. Or at least an A4...

Hey, the E400 is only another $25k.
    GO!