User Tag List

Page 55 of 66 FirstFirst ... 454647484950515253545556575859606162636465 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 1318

Thread: Things I want, like, now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Things I want, like, now.

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    I love my old 4Runner for my commute, but if I was buying a newer SUV to tote my (3) kids, I’d go Highlander over 4Runner all day long. More car-like drive, and the rear doors are longer, making it much easier to get into the back seat.
    I’d imagine we will have a Highlander (or new Volvo wagon if feeling flush) in our household one day to complement the minivan once the kids are out of their ginormous car seats. The Limited models look like a rich person’s bathroom though, whereas the next trim level down looks like the sweet spot.

As to Land Cruisers, I often wonder whether there is any market in the USA for a more stripped down version- UN/developing country-style. It’s kind of insane that the vehicle with arguably the longest track record of being an off-road beast (apologies to the XJ) can only be had in one trim level and costs nearly 80 grand.

PS- all hail minivans
    Not dis-agreeing but they really screw the consumer around now, if you want the "leather" seating - it comes on the Limited.

Dogs? Kids? the "leather" is a way easier to clean, but I really don't want the 14' multi function video display with integrated GPS and telephone, etc.

I actually hate car shopping.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TMB View Post
    Not dis-agreeing but they really screw the consumer around now, if you want the "leather" seating - it comes on the Limited.

Dogs? Kids? the "leather" is a way easier to clean, but I really don't want the 14' multi function video display with integrated GPS and telephone, etc.

I actually hate car shopping.
    When I got my truck (that has made many appearances in front of your AZ place) I wanted the Eco-boost engine and leather seats. To get that, I had to get a Lariat level trim which included a center console with a shifter. I'd rather have a column shifter and no console. But I wanted leather seats..... Lariat also comes with larger wheels and tires so I get around 21 mpg on the highway versus 22-23 mpg that I'd get with a lower trim truck with the same engine.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The trick is to get a new car about once every 14 years. Then, the base trim feels like Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    As a US citizen, I exhort you to buy a wagon. We need more wagons and fewer SUVs. Do your part!
    My first car....
    Oldsmobile-Vista-Cruiser-1964.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ from the time of peak cruising. Tell us a story about getting it airborne.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My best friend's parents had one of those.

Those Vista-Cruiser windows were the balls. Although probably totally useless, aside from being the balls.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    When I got my truck (that has made many appearances in front of your AZ place) I wanted the Eco-boost engine and leather seats. To get that, I had to get a Lariat level trim which included a center console with a shifter. I'd rather have a column shifter and no console. But I wanted leather seats..... Lariat also comes with larger wheels and tires so I get around 21 mpg on the highway versus 22-23 mpg that I'd get with a lower trim truck with the same engine.
    Genuine question here: why were you insistent on the eco-boost engine if you ended up with a vehicle that got less mpg?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The land yacht was the Chevy/Buick/Oldsmobile Estate Wagon. Had the incredible kid green house in the back where you could roast the kids until they stopped fighting and slipped into heat/sun induced torpor.

I think the front seat sat four people.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TMB View Post
    The RAV4, and every other "SUV" in the size category now comes with a useless little 4 banger that would strain to cruise at 75 all day. There is a possibility that Mazda may actually bring the diesel to the CX-5 this year, which would work, but jeebus .........

I don't want a Highlander, or an Acura or a Cadillac. I want something the size of the RAV4 but from Nissan or Chev or Toyota, or ....
    Hyundai Santa Fe Sport can be had with a turbo charged 2.0 4-cyl engine which has substantially more power & torque on offer than the rav4, cr-v & cx-5. It'll get 26-29ish mpg at highway speed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    The land yacht was the Chevy/Buick/Oldsmobile Estate Wagon. Had the incredible kid green house in the back where you could roast the kids until they stopped fighting and slipped into heat/sun induced torpor.

I think the front seat sat four people.

I grew up with the 1976 Oldsmobile version of this! They're rarities nowadays. Ours did not have the spoked hubcaps. Nor did ours sport mag wheels!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I'll bet something like a Subaru Outback would handily beat any SUV in terms of crash safety. And you can get one with a V6.
    I should taken the bet. they are the same but the subaru are rated as less reliable 5 to 3 stars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    serious question: have you compared the horsepower and torque vs vehicle weight of these small SUVs against your current vehicle's specs? or are you just going with the outdated theory that 4cyl engines are "wimpy"?

i'm not arguing either way, but i do rent cars OFTEN and can tell you that most 4cyl small SUVs will allow you to click in the cruise control at 75mph and cruise for days without straining. they may not have a lot of punch, but they arent struggling on the highway either.
    (Emphasis is mine)

I can't speak for TMB, but yes, yes I have...
    This is part of my process (admittedly somewhat OCD) for purchasing a new (to me) vehicle...

The punch is the important part, imho. A small engine can cruise at highway speed sure, but the punch helps to get out of trouble spots, especially since most of these are not even offered as manuals (where you can easily gear down to get the punch).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by randonneur View Post

Why no highlight on the VW? If you want punch, it's a 6-speed - and check out the torque...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ability to punch out of situations is grossly overrated IMHO. Today's 4-cylinder cars as as quick or quicker than V-6s or even V-8s of only a few years ago, particularly with the help of turbochargers and vastly superior automatic transmissions. Additionally, many of today's cars have lost weight in the past few years.

I don't fear lack of acceleration. I fear drivers' unwillingness to use it. I see people with long on-ramps trying to merge at 45 MPH. Please. They just won't put their foot into it a bit. And then there's distracted driving. Lack of acceleration of 4-cylinder engines is seriously the last thing that concerns me today on the roads.

Someone mentioned Buick. The latest LaCrosse gets good reviews. It's probably not my thing but a smooth riding isolation chamber is not unappealing after a sensory overload 4-day trip. I'll just say that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I grew up with the 1976 Oldsmobile version of this! They're rarities nowadays. Ours did not have the spoked hubcaps. Nor did ours sport mag wheels!
    Aren't they rarities because of the engine? I remember people wanting the engine for putting into their go-fast cars.

Plus the gas required to run one.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    I should taken the bet. they are the same but the subaru are rated as less reliable 5 to 3 stars.
    That's what the warranty is for!
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, I want one of these electric motorcycles. There is one in my neighborhood in NYC, and it is fast and sounds like a big slot car. I think it would be great upstate.

And I want one of these worried looking BMW's.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I've never pretended my desire for a Land Cruiser was rational. In fact, I've pointed out the irrationality of it in all my posts! It makes no sense at all and I'll be the first to admit it.
    This points to the fact that you should really get one. Buying a car is often not a rational decision.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TTX1 View Post
    Why no highlight on the VW? If you want punch, it's a 6-speed - and check out the torque...
    It was my current ride. Gave it back to VW yesterday. I liked the engine, but can't abide by the corporate BS. I'll miss the driving characteristics, but won't miss the constant check engine light, leaky sunroof and windshield, and intermittent electronics... Plus, I'll likely never again get $2000 more than I paid for a vehicle after 2 years of driving it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My 16yo A6 Avant just spun 181818 miles on the odometer on Tuesday...have the electronics been hacked by Russian coders?
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.