User Tag List

Page 52 of 66 FirstFirst ... 424344454647484950515253545556575859606162 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 1318

Thread: Things I want, like, now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Things I want, like, now.

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    You are thinking too much like a European. Don't you know in America, BIGGER is always BETTER?
    Ah. I know that.

But last time I checked the highways speed limits in the USA were depressingly lows at something like 65mph while I was going to visit my step sister in Köln and I was being passed by big german cars while I as cruising at 180kph on the middle lane of the autobahn with my Mazda 2. ;-)
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    What do you mean by underpowered ? Don't you have speed limits here ?

My only car has been a 85bhp Mazda 2 over the last 7 years with 2 kids and the power is plenty enough to keep up with anything in the left lane.

The only time the car feel a bit underpowered is during the yearly summer trip to go on holidays in south of France with the car fully loaded + a rooftop box and a bike, mountain to climbs and the air conditionning. But do one trip per year justify the cost of a pricier and bigger car ? I don't think so. Insurrance, fuel and tires costs climb very fast once you choose a bigger car.
    No we don't have speed limits. If we did, I wouldn't get the high beams in the rear view mirror while driving 70mph in a 55mph zone in the right lane.

Also I suspect the engines in some of these US versions are different than in Europe, because the US has emissions and mileage requirements that are more stringent than Europe (as evidenced by the VW diesel scandal.) So I am betting the manufacturers use the small models to bring their fleet mpg rating down (and might even use different engines in the base model) and all the engines have more restrictive pollution controls on them. And that's because they want to sell lots of these things.

Which ironically is usually the vehicle flashing its high beams in my rear view mirror.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dogrange View Post
    Confirmed on the Fit in all respects. I like the car a lot, but it is definitely utilitarian. If I could change one thing, I would alleviate the road noise, which is pretty considerable.
    We had a Fit with a standard transmission. Everyone we talked to said the manual was, or at least, felt, peppier than the auto. It still wasn't anywhere near "powerful" but I never felt it was under powered.

Road noise was an issue. Ours was an '08 though, I assume they're improved that in the newer versions.

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you mean by underpowered ? Don't you have speed limits here ?

My only car has been a 85bhp Mazda 2 over the last 7 years with 2 kids and the power is plenty enough to keep up with anything in the left lane.

The only time the car feel a bit underpowered is during the yearly summer trip to go on holidays in south of France with the car fully loaded + a rooftop box and a bike, mountain to climbs and the air conditionning. But do one trip per year justify the cost of a pricier and bigger car ? I don't think so. Insurrance, fuel and tires costs climb very fast once you choose a bigger car.
    It can go fast. It just can't do it quickly.

I've driven my '10 Fit from MA to VA. It's a great way to transport two bikes. And with sufficiently loud music, the road noise level was fine.

Still I prefer my Acura TSX Wagon for long trips. That's an Accord Tourer for you sk_tle...
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Underpowered" Its just what reviews have said. Perhaps its the latest cvt model--i hear those can feel spongy. I drive 7mph over the limit on highways max , no speed racer. In France people actually go the speed limit . Here you get into stupid situations where even when you are exceeding the speed limit, other cars come right up to your bumper to force you to go faster or change lanes.

Ill just have to drive the fit i guess. Some of these car magazines want everything to be a porsche. I suspect the civic or mazda3 will drive better, but i shouldnt write off the fit. Its almost certainly a low maintenance car that will go for 200k no problem and being able to just fold a seat and throw a bike in there upright (with the front wheel off) has me excited

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just didn't think about cvt or auto transmissions. When I bought my small Mazda I test drove a Hyundai i20 which is roughly the same type of car performance wise but the test model was equipped with an auto transmission. It made the experience terrible in comparison especially in those situations where you want to accelerate fast such as when joining an highway. My experience with CVT a few years ago wasn't great either.

I wouldn't buy such a small car with an automatic transmission or cvt unless it is a second car only used on shortish flat drives in urban areas. I understand how such a car can feel underpowered.

I don't really take what is written on car mags for granted. These guys are used to test drive supercars and >400bhp a regular basis. Anything below 100bhp will always feel underpowered to them. When you are used to the latest Class S, Bentley or Rolls any interior smaller than a Range Rover or Volvo CX90 will feel crude and cramped.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've driven a YUGO (55 HP), it had dents in the hood from where the shocks had broken past their attachments. Hands down the most frightening drive of my life. I also was given a Subary Justy (73 HP) to fix and keep while a pal was on sabbatical.....loved it. Adequate HP < 100 plus a stick and decent design is plenty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

--- our move to kennesa ga.., tammy kept her bmw "m"-suv
    i reluctantly let go of my nissan exterra
    knew my riding & bike transport days were limited
    no need to transport rowing single.., keep at atlanta rowing club
    purchased a yellow kia rio hatchback sx --- 17" alloy, sun roof, 6 speed automatic with paddle shifter sport mode, all leather inter,
    heated seats, retractable side mirrors, sport suspension, navigation system & a young man hi-fi with boom box/speakers
    138 hp, runs/handles like a "striped ass ape" in sport mode & 31+ mpg in econo mode
    love this rascal for my around atlanta driving
    can lay down a bike inside with front wheel off too
    my reliable "mini cooper.." at a waaay less price

ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by skouri1 View Post
    Some of these car magazines want everything to be a porsche. I suspect the civic or mazda3 will drive better, but i shouldnt write off the fit. Its almost certainly a low maintenance car that will go for 200k no problem and being able to just fold a seat and throw a bike in there upright (with the front wheel off) has me excited
    I don't really take what is written on car mags for granted. These guys are used to test drive supercars and >400bhp a regular basis. Anything below 100bhp will always feel underpowered to them. When you are used to the latest Class S, Bentley or Rolls any interior smaller than a Range Rover or Volvo CX90 will feel crude and cramped.
    I'll defend my favorite car magazine, Car & Driver. They named the Fit to their annual 10 Best list from 2007-2013. They know that while driving pleasure is essential it comes in a variety of flavors.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I've driven a YUGO (55 HP), it had dents in the hood from where the shocks had broken past their attachments. Hands down the most frightening drive of my life. I also was given a Subary Justy (73 HP) to fix and keep while a pal was on sabbatical.....loved it. Adequate HP < 100 plus a stick and decent design is plenty.
    I drove a rental Chevy Chevette round-trip between Boston & Ann Arbor for a weekend wedding, circa 1984. Had to turn off the AC to get up the PA turnpike hills.

And there's a slight jog in the MA Pike just before the Pru Tunnel. Its handling there was so traumatic that I'd relive it for years afterwards whenever I drove that stretch, no matter how great a car I was driving.

Quote Originally Posted by ron l edmiston View Post
    --- our move to kennesa ga.., tammy kept her bmw "m"-suv
    i reluctantly let go of my nissan exterra
    knew my riding & bike transport days were limited
    no need to transport rowing single.., keep at atlanta rowing club
    purchased a yellow kia rio hatchback sx --- 17" alloy, sun roof, 6 speed automatic with paddle shifter sport mode, all leather inter,
    heated seats, retractable side mirrors, sport suspension, navigation system & a young man hi-fi with boom box/speakers
    138 hp, runs/handles like a "striped ass ape" in sport mode & 31+ mpg in econo mode
    love this rascal for my around atlanta driving
    can lay down a bike inside with front wheel off too
    my reliable "mini cooper.." at a waaay less price

ronnie
    Yeah. But it's yellow!
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't believe I bought a Jeep Wrangler 2 doors with the V6 3.6L gas engine... in France. It's for my wife, she really wanted one. So now she does have one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    Can't believe I bought a Jeep Wrangler 2 doors with the V6 3.6L gas engine... in France. It's for my wife, she really wanted one. So now she does have one.
    She may not want it for long. But who knows? Jeep people are pretty loyal.

I want this. I can in no possible way justify it and it's a gas guzzler. I'm not likely to encounter anything more challenging than snow or a gravel road. It's incredibly space inefficient. It's expensive. But I really want one and every time I see one I find myself coveting my neighbor's Toyota Land Cruiser.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had two pairs of Hanwag shoes and they are the best things I've ever had on my feet. I'll be buying another pair this year and I'm having a pair of their boots too.

I meant to quote xjoex!
    Lee James Jones
    Former 105 fan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    She may not want it for long. But who knows? Jeep people are pretty loyal.

I want this. I can in no possible way justify it and it's a gas guzzler. I'm not likely to encounter anything more challenging than snow or a gravel road. It's incredibly space inefficient. It's expensive. But I really want one and every time I see one I find myself coveting my neighbor's Toyota Land Cruiser.

She had one in the US and still likes it.

As for the LandCruiser I had the Lexus version of that and it was a great car. About 9 miles per gallon :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    She had one in the US and still likes it.

As for the LandCruiser I had the Lexus version of that and it was a great car. About 9 miles per gallon :)
    Yikes.... Yeah, that sounds about right...... I'm not sure I can manage that much fuel consumption. I know it's thirsty, but that is extreme!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you get the Ford 1.0l ecoboost engine in the states? My wife has a fiesta with that engine putting out 140bhp. It's amazing.
    Lee James Jones
    Former 105 fan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Picked it up earlier this week

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-- car mags and reviews are great.., just like many consumer motivations -- "politics, marketing, advertisement and monies spent" plays a big part of endorsement
    and motivation..

i have owned numerous ferraris & a lotus europa twin cam jps , porsche, bmw "m," pantera, m benz, jaguar, corvettes big/small blocks, shelby gt 350, mini cooper jcs & ---- my ole trusty buick rainer, 2 in a row, nissan exterra and now this "rio sx" ---- in addition to mega company vehicles over a 35 yr corp period..
    never drive.., have a hard time starting Tammy's suv bmw "m"

this rio sx is by far the best $ value with all the "litter for the kitty" and so fun to drive ----
    mags & rags are ok.., but the 6k miles i have on this kia rio sx is real time spent ---- atmo..

ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do they sell double-wide mobile homes in France?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recently helped my middle kid buy his first car and it is a Fit. Good safety and reliability ratings and the mileage is great. I'm impressed by the room inside and most importantly, he did the research, made the selection and he loves it...all that matters to me.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The WRX is a 2 liter turbocharged boxer four. Claimed 268 HP and rated 27MPG highway. I can vouch it make a bunch of power but the amazing part is the mileage. I'm getting 31+ MPG on my 190 mile commute each day. And the chassis is wonderful. The fuel use is approaching the Aprilia Tuono and is almost as much fun.