User Tag List

Page 16 of 66 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Things I want, like, now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Things I want, like, now.

Quote Originally Posted by billrick View Post
    Got it. Now I wants a fast prime like now.
    Awesome, how is the depth of field and focusing time? I have an older Nikon DSLR but never bring it with me because it is too large. Looking at this one myself....

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got it. Now I wants a fast prime like now.
    the Panasonic 20mm is baller. Kinda 'spensive for m4/3, but not as expensive as the Voigtlander stuff.

The Panny 14mm is ~160 on ebay right now (new lenses pulled off kits). 28mm 35mm equiv for that one. You could make it work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xjoex View Post
    Awesome, how is the depth of field and focusing time? I have an older Nikon DSLR but never bring it with me because it is too large. Looking at this one myself....

-Joe
    The DOF is definitely not the same as full frame, but with the right lenses (say the Panasonic 25mm 1.4 or the Olympus 45mm 1.8), it's very close to a good aps-c dslr. In bright light, the auto-focus is as near to instant as anything I've ever handled. It slows down a fraction in low light, but it's still really fast. The one deficiency is the continuous or tracking AF, it will shoot 9fps, but at that rate the focus is locked with the first frame.

In my opinion, the four best m4/3 primes also happen to be the four best lenses overall.

1. Panasonic 25mm 1.4 (50mm FOV)
    2. Olympus 45mm 1.8 (90)
    3. Panasonic 20mm 1.7 (40)
    4. Olympus 12mm F2 (24)

Some people say the Olympus 12mm is the sharpest of them all, but I'm not really a wide angle guy, so 24mm is not the most useful focal length for me. Additionally, at $799 it's also the most expensive. The most interesting new prime scheduled for release this year is the Olympus 75mm 1.8 (150)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does Micro 4/3 use a common lens mount across all of the bodies? When Oly first came out with the evolt, they offered an adapter for OM series lenses to be used on the evolt bodies (losing autofocus, and I think you had to shoot aperture priority) - do they have a similar adapter fro mirco 4/3? I have a pile of OM stuff....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A new gig. There's a difference between luxury and consumerism. My current clients don't get it. I'm a face, with a resume, and a warm body; part of a sales pitch to them, and nothing more.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    Does Micro 4/3 use a common lens mount across all of the bodies? When Oly first came out with the evolt, they offered an adapter for OM series lenses to be used on the evolt bodies (losing autofocus, and I think you had to shoot aperture priority) - do they have a similar adapter fro mirco 4/3? I have a pile of OM stuff....
    The e-volts are a 4/3 mount, micro 4/3 cameras (Ep1, Ep2, Ep3, Epl-1, Epl-2, Epl-3, Epm-1 and OMD EM-5, plus the Panasonic line) use the same sensor size, but a different mount. Olympus makes an adapter to allow the use of 4/3 lenses on micro 4/3 bodies. It has electronics in it which enable auto focus, but from what I've heard the performance is not great, but I've never personally used it.

As for Micro 4/3 to OM, I don't know if Olympus is making an adapter, but if you don't mind losing the AF, there are manifold 3rd party mechanical adapters out there that will allow you to adapt almost any lens for these bodies (including OM).

micro 4 3 Lens adapter | eBay

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for sending that along. those adapters are surprisingly inexpensive. This is probably not a jump I will be making soon, but it is nice to know that some of the stuff could be used again - I have a 50mm 1.4 zuiko that is really a nice piece of kit (purchased at a yard sale for 20 bucks with a black om2 body attached to it) - it would probably make a great portrait lens on a micro 4/3 body.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is my dads fault. Irrational desires currently focused on all things Al Mar.
    Honestly, Ferris takes some blame for this too.

Last edited by Too Tall; 05-08-2012 at 07:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xjoex View Post

-Joe
    This is a replacement for my ancient Nikon DSLR, and it is great for that purpose, but it is still a hefty chunk of weather-sealed magnesium. I can easily carry in the Camelback but I will likely keep carrying my Canon S90 on rides. The focus speed is blazing fast, but can't keep up with the 9 fps shooting speed. Still, my old Nikon couldn't focus on anything that was in motion without luck and good light. And it is easy to blur backgrounds. I'm still using the 14-42 kit lens (nicer than my Nikon kit lens) and the bokeh is not great, but it is there. The photo below is at 33mm (66mm equiv) at f5.

Very happy with my choice. The 20mm pancake lens that Cody mentions is my next purchase.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

snip

This makes me want a dane, like now....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ride past there allot. Beautiful area.
    Dovid@dhoffman.consulting

Fundamentally the marksmen aims at himself.
    -Zen in the Art of Archery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    This is my dads fault. Irrational desires currently focused on all things Al Mar.
    Honestly, Ferris takes some blame for this too.

I've had one of these SERE's for a number of years. It's a really nice knife, but (at least my vintage) had some issues with the double bolt clip and the main pivot bolts loosening. A dab of thread lock should take care of that. Really nice action, and fits the hand well. One of the nicer "user" knives from Al Mar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Summer is coming and so are these . . .

smam_fall3_181_1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^ Retail? I don't want to know.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$95, but you can get a non-neon pair for $65.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was unaware that Al Mar made folders until recently. I would love one of their ultralights for backpacking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jwill View Post
    I was unaware that Al Mar made folders until recently. I would love one of their ultralights for backpacking.
    I'm pretty impressed with this one. You are right, it is most definitely not lightweight. This folding knife jag of late has helped me realize that sometimes the most obvious is not necessarily the best for the job. I've now got 6 folders and of all them I carry the Benchmade Osborne more than any and abuse the #$% out of it. At first look you would not think it was: very rugged, easy edge to maintain and resistant to clogging with mud / debris. Heck I'll admit to using it for gardening...things like cutting muddy hemp cord, sawing into rootballs prior to transplanting etc. There is no babying the things I own in general. Woops, I'm rambling ;) Check out the Osborne.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Double Clutch View Post
    $95, but you can get a non-neon pair for $65.
    Wow - I figured bearing the name sid mashburn - they'd be costly.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    snipped: I carry the Benchmade Osborne more than any and abuse the #$% out of it. At first look you would not think it was: very rugged, easy edge to maintain and resistant to clogging with mud / debris. Heck I'll admit to using it for gardening...things like cutting muddy hemp cord, sawing into rootballs prior to transplanting etc. There is no babying the things I own in general. Woops, I'm rambling ;) Check out the Osborne.
    TT speaks the truth. I've had this BM 940 Osborne for ~8 years and it's still going strong, can't kill the thing. And imho the Axis lock is the absolute best on the market dot period...

laughter has no foreign accent.