Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mills Brothers Bicycle Company

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Mills Brothers Bicycle Company

A lot of guys start out saying what an honor it is to be selected to be Smoked Out. I find myself like the kid in the back of the room waving his hand around frantically saying, “Pick me! Pick me!” I don’t know if it so much an honor, as it is Richard Sachs trying to get me to shut up. Of course I got side tracked along the way, working on a project with some of the Eagle Scouts from our Scout Troop. Went to the track in Atlanta, met Jeff Hopkins, the track director, whose dad was a frame builder in Oz. Went to Philly for the Bike Expo. Now I’m snowed in and working on the backlog of stuff in the computer.

Building frames is like one of those “if I knew then what I know now” things. Back in the ’70’s my two brothers and I were racing, and my older brother and I needed new bikes. We went to this guy named McLean Fonvielle who was building frames outside of Chapel Hill N.C. Imagine driving for an hour, getting on a dirt road for a couple of miles, then finding a gate in a rundown fence and still not seeing his house. I’m talking country. But it was the right place, and when McLean took us into his shop it was like magic. There was the smell of oil and steel, a big marble slab that he built on, walls filled with tools from the Middle Ages. It was a real Lord of the Rings moment. The elfin workshop scene, and all that. After getting measured we just sat and talked for a while, stuff like, “what kind of riding do you do?” Out of that came two completely different bikes. Made from the same tubes, at the same time, painted the same color, but ride and handling poles apart. How did he do that? That made me read my copy of the CONI manual again and pay more attention to frame angles, study the frame charts in the back of brochures and ride other bikes to get their feel.

Unfortunately a couple of years later I found myself with no money, no girl friend, no car, bad knees, and a big pile of busted old bike stuff. So I went back to school and got my degree in History. Now I have a “real job” in a hospital, which is sort of like working in a big factory that has lots of blood, and crap, and crazy people. But in the back of my mind was always the question of frames and how they worked. So after doing the Assault on Mt. Mitchell a couple of years, I decided the bike thing wasn’t going away, and I signed up for the steel frame building course at United Bicycle Institute.

That was the best two week vacation I’ve ever had. Walking distance to a micro brewery, a bunch of guys in a shed, 120 degree heat, playing with explosive gasses, and not knowing what they were doing. Best of all, 30 minutes before the taxi came to take me to the airport, I put my new road frame in the box. Of course I was pumped, I got a loan from the bank for tools and stuff, ordered a jig from Henry James, ordered some tubes and lugs, registered my name, Mills Brothers Bicycle Company. Then Hank was redesigning his jigs so it took nine months to get one. It took six months to have a buddy wire the shed I was using for a shop. It was hard to get fired back up after that.

Why Mills Brothers? No, the other two brothers are not involved in the shop. When we raced, “back in the day” we would show up and people would say, “the Mills brothers are here.” One day we were sitting around talking about how it would be cool to have a Mills Brothers Bike shop. Neat name and it stuck in my head. I was always considered the equipment freak, because I wouldn’t race on patched tubulars. We were also known for using the heaviest parts (not completely true), and our training rides were so hard people would come from other states to ride with us. That make it so it won’t break attitude is what I bring to frames. After I came back from UBI, the typical response when I showed people what I had done was “Fantastic! That’s Awesome! What do you like better, Treks or Cannondales?” I figured out that there was virtually no market for handmade bikes in this area. I was the only one in the state that was trying to build. There were several around that had built in the past, but moved on. I was back to, not square one, maybe, square three.

So I took the tube sets I had on hand and started making track bikes. I like track. I set myself design challenges, like homework, design a sprint bike, design a road bike for a pacer etc. I went to Dale Brown’s Cirque de Cyclisme in Greensboro. Met Richard Sachs and Peter Weigle, and some others, had my lettering made by Gary Prange, so my bikes would look professional. Stopped at Spectrum and met Jeff Duser and Tom Kellogg one time when my son was doing Jr. Track Nats. Each time asking more questions, seeing someone else’s shop. I’m not in square three anymore. I think I’m in square five. The Cirque helps, NAHBS is huge, and the Philly Bike Expo, all these shows, and the people that put them on are changing the face of cycling. It’s not racer-centric, it’s bike culture centric. That helps all of us. There are now three guys starting to build frames in Raleigh, one in Asheboro, another one here in Winston-Salem, three up in the mountains. I have to take my shoes off to figure out what serial number goes on a frame now.

The coolest thing is when someone says, “Wow! What do I have to do to build frames?” When a guy named Steve in one of the bike shops said that, I invited him over and let him use my jig and torch. I was amazed at how much I was able to teach him. Maybe I know more than I thought. It also gave me a window on the more established builders, for example why Dazza was willing to take ten minutes at NAHBS to talk to me about track bike design. Aside from wanting to blow away all the old school ideas that were stuck in my head, teaching someone clarifies your own ideas, you can tap into someone else’s enthusiasm.

For the new guys, who want to get started, nobody is going to beat a path to your door. Sorry, it’s not going to happen. Plan on five years just to get your name out there. And even then don’t quit your day job.

Go to a frame building school, or get a job with a frame builder, serve some sort of apprenticeship. Then when a customer asks tell him you are a journeyman framebuilder, not a master. That way he knows where he stands, and that you aren’t passing yourself off. If someone calls you a hobby builder, punch his lights out.

There will be ups and downs. I would go to the Cirque one year and be pumped up, and then the next year I would be completely deflated. I had to figure out that I don’t want to build bikes like those guys; I want to build bikes like me. I love to look at the cut lugs, and all the details that others put in their bikes, but I just want clean and simple. Nice spear point lugs, a frame that will last.

Open a free checking account at the bank; have $20 drafted into it from your regular job each payday. When you have enough in the account, buy tubes and build a bike. It doesn’t matter what or for whom.

You need a hacksaw, good files, a good torch, and a work bench with a vise. Everything else is gravy. You aren’t going to NEED a milling machine for a very long time. A jig as soon as you can afford it, or make it.

Be really, really nice to your suppliers. When you are doing something stupid, you can call and they will help you.

People want you to succeed. People think it is cool that you are building bikes. My mother helped with the paint job of one of the bikes I had at the Philly Bike Expo. A girl gave me a big hug one day (which I really liked). But I love the zingers. When I am at a ride and someone is looking at my bike and says “Mills Brothers, I don’t think I’ve heard of that brand.” Then I reach out my hand and shake theirs and say, “Hi. My name is Dave Mills.” Their eyes get big, and they look at the bike, look at me, back to the bike, and go “Oooh!” Sometimes it is the little things.

Most of all some famous guy once said, “Nothing gets done without enthusiasm.” Might have been Edison, or Chairman Mao, maybe Mark Twain. He said a lot of stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Mills Brothers Bicycle Company

Hay Dave: So cool. Jeff and i remember your visit during the junior Nats. I'm glad that you are keeping at it. So, keep at it and keep in touch. Your approach to growing your "plant" is refreshing. Don't buy anything that you don't have cash on hand for. Keep that approach and you will stay out of trouble.
    Last edited by Tom Kellogg; 01-11-2011 at 07:05 PM.
    Tom Kellogg
    Rides bikes, used to make 'em too.
    Spectrum-Cycles.com
    Butted Ti Road, Reynolds UL, Di2, QuarQ, Conour lite, SP Zero
    Steel Cross, X-7, Crank Bros, Concour Lite, Nemesis, Grifo
    Steel Piste, D-A Piste, PD-7400, Concour lite, Zipp 404
    http://kapelmuurindependent.be

Shortest TFC Member (5'6 3/4") & shrinking

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dave... all I can say is we have got to go out and grab a beer together in Austin! Love your energy!

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Dave, i needed a "rev up". I've been "off the air" for a bit. Look forward to chatting again at Austin.

a man in a shed!

wp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool story, are you pretty firmly set in your local cycling community? It kinda sounds like it. Are you equipping any racers or anyone? Are you a local/regional builder, or do you have a bigger customer base? And will you be at NAHBS in Austin?
    Last edited by edoz; 01-11-2011 at 09:16 PM.
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ Tom Kellogg.. I remember Jeff's face when my son and I pulled up outside of your shop, " Oh Hell! who is this?" I remember your shop is cleaner than my kitchen, and bigger than my house. And I think about the last thing Jeff said before we left, " Don't Quit." I totally understand that now.

@ Chris.. I was going to relax and read a good book, but I guess I can drink beer instead.

@ Wade.. I have some more " man in a shed" t-shirts if you would like one.

@ Eric...I am very local. Which might be why I'm not making a lot of money. I got contacted by one guy from Japan, but there were some communication issues.
    I am going to try to complete a track bike for the Wake Forest University cycling team and bring it to Austin, and I'll give it to them after just to support Collegiate Cycling.
    As far as being set in the "local cycling community" It is my vague, not very well thought out, semi philosophy that as a frame builder you HAVE TO be involved in your community. It's like the Cruxshadows song " stand up when no one else is willing ". Face it, if you are a frame builder you are cooler than the average Joe rider. So you promote events, get people riding that wouldn't ride ordinarily. I took a group of 14 to atlanta to ride the Dick Lane Velodrome, only one of them had ridden a bank, and some had never ridden fixed. I'm working with the hospital on thier fitness program, getting people out riding. My son's Eagle Scout Project was to petition the local government to declare a road a bike route. Now it is the only bike route we have. Being involved with the local cyclists and the community is as important as mitering a tube. Oh and the start finish for our ten mile time trial course is in my front yard.

Didn't mean to get preachy, but I do have opinions.

dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very nicely said. I'm always curious as to how people chose brand names. It may be late but if you need help dealing with the guy in Japan, I may be of assistance.

-ryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great read, Dave, I love your attitude & your eloquence. Looking forward to reading more about Mills Bro bikes...and hopefully seeing some? (hint, hint)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dave - Great to hear from someone local! You plan on being at Wilkesboro this weekend? If so, bring some of your work!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That was a good read, thanks.

Love the gallery pics on your site, the shed, and a flower pot to hold the bike up. Real grass! And you really bend fork blades on that wheel rim? That is soul. Rock on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What bicycles are your favorite to build?
    There are quite a few custom builders who fail, what sort of things are on your wish list in order to succeed?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by innc View Post
    Didn't mean to get preachy, but I do have opinions.

dave
    I'd wonder about a guy without opinions:)
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by innc View Post
    I love the zingers. When I am at a ride and someone is looking at my bike and says “Mills Brothers, I don’t think I’ve heard of that brand.” Then I reach out my hand and shake theirs and say, “Hi. My name is Dave Mills.” Their eyes get big, and they look at the bike, look at me, back to the bike, and go “Oooh!”
    You know, that there is almost enough to make me want to pick up a torch.

Glad you're having fun with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ thollandpe - It was a choice between $250 for a fork mandrel, or the rim that the guy at the gas station gave me for free. He didn't understand why i didn't want the other one. Plus it makes a sweet bend, and there are three radius' (radii?) The shop was actually made to hang hams when they cure, so it has these nails in the rafters that now hold h-bars and tools.

@ to tall - the ultimate bike, or maybe the purest, is a track bike. there is nothing on it that doesn't make you go. I would love to see bike culture grow to the point that everyone has a track bike in the garage, like a bucket T hot rod, or a Lotus sports car. Something that they can take out on sunny days and do thier karmic /zen bike thing.
    As far as failing, hold you fingers in front of your face really close together. Thats how close I am to failing. But I've been there for a couple of years. If I make a sale at NAHBS, the trip is paid for. If I don't I'll back off and pay the bills from my regular job. So i may come close to failing, but I won't. I'll slow down, I'll consolidate. But I will succeed. That's as honest an answer as i can give.
    Wish list, wow, More precision, a fork jig, bike cad, a brake boss jig . Other than that just to sit and watch one of you guys build. I wouldn't even ask questions. Or a more advanced class in frame design. Or in friday night lights have a shop tour once a month, just one of the better builders, like "this is my shop, here are the tools , this is a picture of my Mom. " Or instead of five guys showing one or two pics, have one guy showing how he builds a frame from start to finish.
    thanks, good questions.

@ edoz- my opinions get me into trouble on a regular basis. Don't get me started on what i think about Junior racing.

@ brucew- It is the most incredible feeling to build a frame yourself, and feel the tones and vibration change, then to get on and ride for the first time. You know the bike instantly, and can feel it like an electric shock all the way up your spine.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this thread needs some touch atmo.
    here - Mills Brothers Bicycle Co.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no nothing bout building custom bikes, but know people -- your past & brother reflection lend strong to your mark in the sand ..
    if i may use your quote, from your order info, in a meeting i have this week --- "everything comes from the process of communication between you and me.."

look forward to "in person" .. in austin,

ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dave
    Thanks for the T-shirt at 09 nahbs and great talking to you at Phily.
    Keep on keeping on
    Phil
    www.cedarborocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

David,
    We must have ridden in some of the same races in North Carolina in the '70s. The less said about that the better. Have you heard about the Classic Rendezvous weekend in late May?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry guys but I've been sick as a dang dog for the last little while. I think God is punishing me for being bad.

Philly was a real good weekend. Nice to see everybody there.

Eric I had been told by the guys at Cycles de Oro that they were trying to talk Dale Brown into having another bike show/weekend thing, but i had no details, thanks for the fyi.

Now I'm hitting the sack because I'm still running a little fever and was stupid enough to spend the day in the shop brazing.

later dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HEY DAVE, you all better now? How goes it in the shed? You coming to TX (land of Alamo beer?).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast