Framebuilding courses http://www.framebuildingschool.com
    Carbon framebuilding courses http://www.carbonframebuildingschool.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Apprentice/helper wanted:

Yeah, that's very cool. Not sure how the whole "you'll be paid different amounts for different things you do" part will work, sounds overly complicated. I'd love to find a similar situation in SE PA that would allow me to put in apprenticeship time on nights and weekends while still maintaining my day job as a teacher. I wish more builders would do something like this to ensure that the knowledge of builders who have been active for decades doesn't become lost when they stop building.

Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pete,

It could be complicated. But, basically if you are stripping paint or up to your armpits in grease or sweating your balls off in the sun, I think that deserves a higher rate of pay per hour than sitting in a chair with tunes and air-conditioning masking lugs.....

Secondly, I am not doing it so much to pass on "the knowledge". Yes, that is a side benefit to both me and whomever it ends up being (if anyone) but I need an employee who works hard and this is a straight up job that just happens to afford the possibility of learning a lot about bicycle frame manufacturing.

I only need "the one" so I am not fretting but so far out of 800 views of my blog entry I have received two responses. It will be interesting to see how many apply for this opportunity. Personally, I think many say they want an apprenticeship but then when they look at themselves closely it is more like....well I want one if it is close by, pays, is really convenient, allows me to build all I want and give me personalized instruction. You know. A frame course I don't have to pay for, along with free shop space and tools...Actually uprooting ones lifestyle and taking a risk moving to a new area is pretty much a non-starter.
    All the best,

David Bohm
    Bohemian Bicycles

Facebook www.facebook.com/bohemianbicycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Actually uprooting ones lifestyle and taking a risk moving to a new area is pretty much a non-starter."

Really? I thought none of you 'Mericans live or work even vaguely near to where you grew up, like a herd of 300 million Gypsys.

*puts hand up*
    FRAMEBUILDING PARTS FOR SALE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Thylacine Cycles View Post
    "Actually uprooting ones lifestyle and taking a risk moving to a new area is pretty much a non-starter."

Really? I thought none of you 'Mericans live or work even vaguely near to where you grew up, like a herd of 300 million Gypsys.

*puts hand up*
    You'd be surprised how many people are born, live their whole lives and die within 50 miles or so.
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, then you'd need a passport, wouldn't you?
    FRAMEBUILDING PARTS FOR SALE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by edoz View Post
    You'd be surprised how many people are born, live their whole lives and die within 50 miles or so.
    Yeah - like all of them. I'm the only one of my family that moved anywhere. DB - what can a guy expect to earn on a weekly basis? is it long term? I may have a guy for you. - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish I could answer that exactly Steve. Every week is different here. Many weeks, especially if it is a short week (like ten hours) it may not be much. Depending on how much work I have it could be 100-250wk. There are some side jobs that potentially could be $20hr. If we spend the week doing practice brazes for his/her personal ride it will be a fat zero. In fact, if he/she brazes up some stuff for themselves, uses silver/bronze, welding fuel and material they could owe me money. Thus, the need for this person to hold down another job.

It is long term. I can't think about anyone who maybe here less than two years. In fact, at 10-20hrs a week I think it may take 5 yrs to make a knowledgeable framebuilder out of someone.
    All the best,

David Bohm
    Bohemian Bicycles

Facebook www.facebook.com/bohemianbicycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to say that Dave paying anything is a plus. I was an unpaid intern while I was going to college and I know other interns donated work too.

Interns are a huge money suck for a long time before the money paid to them is made up in the work they accomplish. I can't tell you how many times Toby would have to fix fkcu ups of mine before I could paint a frame for him and have it be professional enough to go out the door.

Any framebuilder willing to take on an intern should admired and thanked over and over again. There aren't that many out there willing to do it. Hey Toby, if I haven't told you lately...thanks!

Tony
    Anthony Maietta
    Web Site | Blog | Flickr
    "The person who says it can not be done, should not interrupt the person doing it."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dave, It sounds like the dream set up. If my day job were at Intel in Chandler rather than Albuquerque I would be at your door step in a heartbeat. Good luck in your search.

George

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anthonymaietta View Post
    Any framebuilder willing to take on an intern should admired and thanked over and over again. There aren't that many out there willing to do it. Hey Toby, if I haven't told you lately...thanks!

Tony
    Serotta frequently has interns.
    I work with them daily and have to try to make their time defensibly useful.
    I'll say that it is difficult to make their time productive for the company, and more often the intern walks away with the greater benefit, especially if they do walk away after the internship.