Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Handmade in Kabul, Afghanistan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Handmade in Kabul, Afghanistan

This is Rachmaad. He is 13 years old (I think). In order to be able to attend school i.e. buy books and get transportation etc, Rachmaad works at the Kabul Orthopedic Organization which is an NGO that helps the victims of landmines (and other ordinance not necessarily intended for them) get the care they need. Clear Path International is probably the organization most folks have heard of, and KOO works for them. Rachmaad basically takes raw stock of steel pipe and other scrap metal and shapes, welds, paints and otherwise fabricates from scratch, things like wheelchairs, crutches and walkers. He uses magazine pictures of mass-produced assistive devices that we just order with one phone call or email to guide him in making the stuff. He receives about $20 per month for his arduous work, most of which goes directly to his school pursuits.

Part of what I am doing over here is managing a contract for KOO to take care of Afghan soldiers as well on behalf of the US medical assistance team. Although there is little to inspire me in my typical days here on deployment, the people in KOO have provided me with some much-needed positive energy.

If you read this I ask you to take a minute to consider folks around the world who don't enjoy all of the things we take for granted every day. If you want to take it one step further, consider a donation to KOO or CPI because I have seen first-hand the kind of amazing things they do every day for common and often desperately poor innocent victims of the wars we wage.

Peace and Happy New Year.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Handmade in Kabul, Afghanistan

take care sean. thanks for the report and hope to see you again in deerfield...this year or next.
    its amazing what this kid is accomplishing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for what you do Sean, you are one of the good ones.
    Inspiring stuff and timely.
    Peace, Josh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys. Unfortunately I will not be joining you at Deerfield this year. My time here was extended from 6 months to one year....yippie! Ride hard and party harder and post lots of pics and stories for me to read about it.

V-salon will have to be my virtual cycling experience this year.

later bros

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Awesome stuff Mr. Easley. Keep it up brother.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sean,

Good to see you're doing well and doing positive things in less-than-positive places.
    We'll miss you in Deerfield - and when we leave the lunch stop I'll look back to make sure you're not there.
    We're gonna make Darren carry a full sized TV news camera to slow him down and get good footage for ya.