Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon... 2002

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon... 2002

Anyone own this or something similar? I know Subarus are highly rated. My question is simply this: How easily can I fit 2 bikes inside the thing.

Anyone have picts?
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon... 2002

I had an 06 Imprezza. You can take both wheels off, put both seats down and fit two bikes in that car. It'll be very tight though.

Also any WRX is guaranteed to have been put through the ringer by its former owner, take that in to consideration when looking for your new used hatchback.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry not answering your simple question, but keep in mind that they are the Highest rated on the Insurance coverage. So they will be expensive to insure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also expensive to run once used hard,they are heavier than they look and rough on expendibles like tires and brakes,lots of moving parts in that 4wd system.
    That said,they are a blast to drive when sorted out,tight for two bikes and thirsty as shit for a car this size.
    -Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have an 04 wrx wagon going on 4 years of my ownership now. no issues whatsoever (knocks on wood). 25 mpg and great in the snow. i would buy one again. if buying used, spend the extra dosh and get it looked at by a dealer or other competent mechanic. also- don't buy a used one from someone younger than 30 :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im on my third wrx and ive had no issues.

note: i beat my car to death and rarely get the oil changed on the preferred date

subaru's are tough as nails.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had an 02 WRX sedan since April 2001. We've only put about 80K miles on it in 9.5 years, so not used really hard, but it's been reliable. No major mechanical repairs (we've had some body work done, it seems to be a magnet for getting backed into by SUV drivers). Major complaint is a CEL that frequently appears due to a misfire on a particular cylinder, but it runs smoothly. I average well under 20 mpg for city driving.

As for two bikes, I have the sedan but I'd say you're looking at both wheels off for two bikes. Not the most convenient car for a biker.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenCT View Post
    im on my third wrx and ive had no issues.

note: i beat my car to death and rarely get the oil changed on the preferred date

subaru's are tough as nails.
    I had one...2002...beat it to fuck and it handled everything I threw at it. I'm talking daily driver, weekend street races and midnight rally runs through undeveloped neighborhoods. If you're an awesome packer you can fit small countries in the back, but I don't think it's ideal for bikes. Get a hitch rack or trunk rack.

And don't buy your scooby from guys like me. I was totally honest with the guy that bought mine and he bought it anyway. It's still running strong. Pound for pound one of the best cars out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I somehow wore out a clutch on an '06 Impreza in 20K miles after driving nothing but a manual VW for 10 years prior to that. The Subie drove nicely but came nowhere close to fitting a bike upright w/ front wheel off and seatpost slammed like my Golf (00) did and Jetta wagon (09) does...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The wife and I have a 2002 Outback Sport - Impreza with two-tone paint - and can fit two bike with a little finesse just taking off the front wheels. One's a 58 the other a 54...never tried with two big bikes.

Jayme

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how about a forester? the only difference is the body being taller, hence packing bikes are slightly easier.

i had a 05 wrx wagon, now a 07 forester xt sports. both great. the 05 wrx being a 2.0 is more rev happy. the forester feels more low geared and can haul its heavy self to high speed pretty quick. make sure you get a stick. in general, forester owners are a bit more mature, and used ones may not be as beat.

back to packing bikes. I put 3 bikes in the back and drove to NAHBS Indy with back seats down. front wheel off and seat pulled out. Did the same going to San Diego show. There are still lots of room left for luggage. My forester has a huge sunroof, so the ceiling height is only 29", those without the sunroof should be a bit taller. I think for 2 bikes, if you set them closer side by side, pointing opposing direction, you probably can leave the narrow back seat up for seating. Also, I regularly put one complete bike in lying down on its side. A randonneur with wide tires and fender and longer wheelbase. I think it would be too tight for a wrx. The wrx's rear window is quite sloped and packing is somewhat more limited too. Last thing, consider also a 02 legacy wagon, no sunroof, that thing can pack anything and drive more comfortably on interstates, just cannot do the acceleration the other can.

cheers,
    Renold Yip
    YiPsan Bicycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have had a 2003 WRX Wagon since 2004. It's an automatic, not stick. Have put approx 70,000 miles on it and has run beautiful. It will hold 2 bikes with back seats down. I have had many cars--BMW, Acura, Porsche--and this is one of the best and most fun cars I've ever owned.

Very, very reliable. As a turbo, I would recommend synthetic oil. We have used this since new.

This is my third Scoobie-doo and I would highly recommend the WRX--the hatchback especially if you want to carry bikes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One other thing I forgot to mention. The insurance for the hatchback may be cheaper than the sedan. I have State Farm and it was cheaper for the hatchback--by about 20%. I guess they don't think the hatchback will be used for street racing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just keep in mind that the 02-07 WRX is a truer "wagon" while the 08+ WRX are more of a hatchback/5-door design. I've had one of each model year since 02 as my company car and they really lost a lot of real-world usability in the cargo area when went to the 5-door design. The Forester's cargo capability has been more consistent over the years and it shares it's guts with the 'Preza.

And +1 to what other said above in regards to getting it checked out. Chances are high that a 02 WRX has lived a somewhat hard life.

FCTi
    -Subaru engineer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by false_aesthetic View Post
    Anyone own this or something similar? I know Subarus are highly rated. My question is simply this: How easily can I fit 2 bikes inside the thing.

Anyone have picts?
    I've owned Subaru Legacy Outback wagons for the past 10 years or so and while I can't speak directly to the Impreza WRX wagon, I know older Outback engines (2.5L) have head gasket issues. Both of my Subarus required head gasket replacement, and the 2002 model needed the work prior to having 80,000 miles on it. Luckily, my warranty covered the cost of the repair, which would have been about $1850 out of pocket.

Other than that, it's been running well since the repair and I love the wagon's cargo hauling capabilities. Lots of room in the back for the bike(s) with the rear seats folded down.
    Riding with a live hornet in your mouth is not advised.:eek:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all your input.

Ended up getting a deal I couldn't refuse on something else.... Certified Matrix XRS----comes with a severed horses head as a hood ornament.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst