Thread: HJ 28x20 BB shell

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default HJ 28x20 BB shell

Hey ya'll,

Anyone ever use the Henry James BB with the 28x20 CS sockets? If so, are the clearances better than with the 22.2 round ones? Seems like other than using a True Temper 28x20 CS the only other choices are fork blades, yes?

Thanks,
    HS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: HJ 28x20 BB shell

HS,
    A bb shell that allows 30x16 will give you a little more clearance. There are plenty of 30x16 chainstays out there. You could always dimple the inside of the stays if you went with 28x20 stays for more clearance. Round(er) chainstays tend to be more stiff laterally than the 30 x16 chainstay, but I have never noticed a huge difference, personally. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Boedie View Post
    HS,
    A bb shell that allows 30x16 will give you a little more clearance. There are plenty of 30x16 chainstays out there. You could always dimple the inside of the stays if you went with 28x20 stays for more clearance. Round(er) chainstays tend to be more stiff laterally than the 30 x16 chainstay, but I have never noticed a huge difference, personally. Hope this helps.
    Yeah, I know 30x16 CS's are great from a clearance standpoint but I was curious as to whether the spacing of the sockets on the HJ BB was equivalent to most of the 30x16 shells out there. Seems like a way to bump up the lateral stiffness of the rear triangle with less clearance issues compared to a full round CS. In the end, yeah the difference in stiffness may not be significant (at least under my legs) but it's nice to know what options are out there...

Thanks,
    HS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How much clearance do you want? Depending on that you might be able go round oval round.
    -Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the Hank OS shells the stays are moved inward a slight amount (@ 2-3mm / side) to increase the clearance for the chainrings, and to lessen the need for "dimpling" the outside. If you have a shell with wider spacing like a Long Shen or a Pacenti, then Serotta-style S-bend CS might also be something that could help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the cs ports on that 28x20 shell are close together. Depending on tire width and cs length, you may need to dimple the stays.
    Tom Palermo
    www.palermobicycles.com
    photos

Palermo Bicycles
    steel bicycles & frame repairs
    Baltimore, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like I'm better off with either oval or ROR since clearance for a 28C tire at 415mm is questionable anyway without dimpling...

Thanks,
    HS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is this for yourself? why not just dimple the stays? it's not terribly hard and you'll have some more knowledge.
    Tom Palermo
    www.palermobicycles.com
    photos

Palermo Bicycles
    steel bicycles & frame repairs
    Baltimore, MD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cement shoes View Post
    is this for yourself? why not just dimple the stays? it's not terribly hard and you'll have some more knowledge.
    Yup, it's for me. Yeah, I could dimple it but that would be the easy way out! =) I know structurally it's not an issue but if possible I like the clean aesthetics of a CS that just flows right between the chainring and tire without a dent in there. Not an issue if I stick with ovals but I'm wondering how far I can go with the rounds...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fine then use a blank a fillet like a man

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW I am building myself a fendered road bike using a PCD BB shell and ROR 415mm chainstays. I mocked it all up with my 700 x 25 wheel/tire and 35mm honjo fender. Looks to me like I will have enough clearance for everything. In the interest of full disclosure this will only be my 4th frame. Hope this helps in some way.

-Jason