User Tag List

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324
Results 461 to 472 of 472

Thread: Hampsten Cycles

  1. #461
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Posts
    1,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Hampsten Cycles

    That is super cool. What holds the two toothed tube sections together?

    Quote Originally Posted by echappist View Post


  2. #462
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    324
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Hampsten Cycles

    For someone who considers Direct Mount as the Final Frontier in rim brakes it’d be great to see close-up photos and tech. specs for this classic, should you be so inclined…

  3. #463
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    1,248
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Hampsten Cycles

    Quote Originally Posted by darkmother View Post
    That is super cool. What holds the two toothed tube sections together?
    5 mm flat-head bolt on the respective undersides of the tubes. No special tool required, and the upcharge is same as that for S&S. I think only downside might be a up to 75 g mass penalty for the two couplers.

  4. #464
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,386
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Hampsten Cycles

    Quote Originally Posted by hampco View Post
    More Bingham-built loveliness, takes a 32mm tire with ease:

    Attachment 124963
    Just adding to the Database of Knowledge: if the frame and fork cooperate, a Chorus caliper will clear a 32mm tire, most Shimano and SRAM calipers may, possibly not Red, and definitely NOT Record or Super Record.
    Steve Hampsten
    www.hampsten.blogspot.com
    “These are my principles. If you don’t like them, I have others.”

  5. #465
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,386
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Hampsten Cycles

    Quote Originally Posted by osbk67 View Post
    For someone who considers Direct Mount as the Final Frontier in rim brakes it’d be great to see close-up photos and tech. specs for this classic, should you be so inclined…
    Anything in particular? I think we use the numbers from Paul Comp. but we may bump the mounts up 2-3mm to give a little more clearance. Canti studs work well and we remove anything that isn’t needed, we also like to replace the pads and holders with Shimano or similar.
    Steve Hampsten
    www.hampsten.blogspot.com
    “These are my principles. If you don’t like them, I have others.”

  6. #466
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Posts
    22,113
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Hampsten Cycles

    Quote Originally Posted by hampco View Post
    Just adding to the Database of Knowledge: if the frame and fork cooperate, a Chorus caliper will clear a 32mm tire, most Shimano and SRAM calipers may, possibly not Red, and definitely NOT Record or Super Record.

    chorus brake specs are not the same as record or super record?

  7. #467
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Hillsdale NY
    Posts
    25,300
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Hampsten Cycles

    Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    chorus brake specs are not the same as record or super record?
    Not with 12s. The Record and Super Record are the same with a flatter lower clearance arch, but Chorus is very similar to if not the same as the 11s caliper design.



    Jorn Ake
    poet

    Flickr
    Books

  8. #468
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Posts
    22,113
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Hampsten Cycles

    but

    are the pads in the same plane when at their lowest point in the caliper slots?




    Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Not with 12s. The Record and Super Record are the same with a flatter lower clearance arch, but Chorus is very similar to if not the same as the 11s caliper design.




  9. #469
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Hillsdale NY
    Posts
    25,300
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Hampsten Cycles

    Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    but

    are the pads in the same plane when at their lowest point in the caliper slots?
    I think distance pivot-to-pad is the same but shape of the caliper arch is different. But I will have to check my bikes to be sure.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

    Flickr
    Books

  10. #470
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    324
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Hampsten Cycles

    Quote Originally Posted by hampco View Post
    Anything in particular? I think we use the numbers from Paul Comp. but we may bump the mounts up 2-3mm to give a little more clearance. Canti studs work well and we remove anything that isn’t needed, we also like to replace the pads and holders with Shimano or similar.
    Aha I see now. I wasn’t paying attention looking at a smallish photo and thought that fine bicycle might have conjured something near 35s under Campagnolo Direct Mount calipers. If they’re Paul Racers that explains everything and perhaps leaves room for 38s even. I’ll see myself out…

  11. #471
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,386
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Hampsten Cycles

    Yep, 38s look like they should fit. The Chorus calipers are made by TRP/Tektro, I believe, interestingly enough...
    Steve Hampsten
    www.hampsten.blogspot.com
    “These are my principles. If you don’t like them, I have others.”

  12. #472
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    2,386
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Hampsten Cycles

    Busy week here at HampCo:

    Levico in Mini Cooper Kite Blue with Record (and Chorus calipers, see above)

    IMG_3056.jpg

    This Anno20/Mondrian thing seems to be catching on:

    IMG_3054.jpg

    IMG_3055 copy.jpg
    Steve Hampsten
    www.hampsten.blogspot.com
    “These are my principles. If you don’t like them, I have others.”

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •