Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Hiking Boots (all leather)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default OT: Hiking Boots (all leather)

I will soon need a new pair of 4 season hiking boots. I have had these Montrail Moraine AT's since 1998 but they are starting to wear out where the rivets are.

One of the nicest things about these, they have a plastic cap over the outside of the toes to keep rocks from gouging the leather.

Does anyone know of any boots like these? I took a quick look in the local stores and interrnets, the boots these days... they are all goretex and mesh and other shit like that. I don't need that.

Thanks!
    -Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: OT: Hiking Boots (all leather)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thnk John, those Limmer boots look really nice.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know your boots, as a backpacking buddy of mine swears by them. You might try the La Sportiva Glaciers, as they look somewhat like yours. I use them for hiking, backpacking, and some snow/glacier travel, and am very happy with them. I wouldn't call these or your boots 4 season boots, as you need a really insulated boot like the La Sportiva Nepal Extreme or a double boot to cover winter mountaineering. Yours and the La Sportiva Glaciers are more like three season boots. Of course, it will all come down to what fits your foot the best.

Here is a pic of the La Sportiva Glacier: Buy La Sportiva Men's Glacier Boot - La Sportiva at Moosejaw - Free Shipping on orders over $49

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got a great pair of boots from EMS about 5 years ago that have seen some really hard use in extreme weather conditions and with a little saddle soap, they still even look good. I never bought boots from them before, but a mountain climbing buddy dragged me in and made me try them on. here is the "updated" version SCARPA Men's SL M3 Backpacking Boots, Wide - Eastern Mountain Sports I have been buying boots for this purpose for about 32 years and these are by far the most comfortable cold weather boots I have owned. They seem super durable as well. I have a big fat foot, so some boots don't work at all. With these I just tie them a little differently and they work great.

For slightly warmer conditions I have a pair of insulated RedWings. Boots for a lifetime, those, they are only four years old but have seen a lot of wear and when I put my feet in they still feel like new boots.
    Dovid@dhoffman.consulting

Fundamentally the marksmen aims at himself.
    -Zen in the Art of Archery

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A little under the radar but Italian made Zamberlan's have worked well for me for a number of years. Check out the Civetta which is a pretty close fit for what you are looking for. Zamberlan Hiking Boots | Made in Italy since 1929

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dhoff View Post
    For slightly warmer conditions I have a pair of insulated RedWings. Boots for a lifetime, those, they are only four years old but have seen a lot of wear and when I put my feet in they still feel like new boots.
    My issues with the Red Wing 877s I've been wearing this fall are:

1) They have little to no arch support, so an insole or orthotic is necessary.

2) The sole has very little tread.

Other than those issues, they're solid boots made within biking distance of me. That's cool and maybe asking for more is too much.

IMG_0703.jpg IMG_0705.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been wearing the Merrell Wilderness for many years, and give them a big thumbs up. I do wish they had the toe bumper, though. One hike in Big Bend NP and the cactus chewed up the front like my boots had acne pox. (My next pair of boots will be Zamberlans.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Limmer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Limmer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you are into indestructible old school leather hiking boots those Merrill Wilderness are made the same way as 30 yrs. ago. Beast of a boot. I understand the smart cats are wearing minimal footwear these days and that's not for me. +1

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

limmer. as they can be resoled. i have 2 pair. great boots.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's very hard to find any boots anymore that don't have Gore liners. I went with Asolo's. They have a liner but I have found that good socks keep my feet from swimming even in the desert.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best boots I ever owned were Raichle Mountain Trekkers. They serve precisely the same function as the Moraines (made by OneSport at the time). I don't think Raichle has a US distributor for their backpacking boots any longer though. I've heard great things about the Limmers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm also voting for the Limmers. Probably the best choice around.

I tend to hike in my Russell mocswith a boarhide sole (no tread) or the Vibram Newporter sole , but I'm also one of those barefoot-running whackjobs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Limmer isn't just custom with the long wait, they get some really nice stock sizes that I think are branded Limmer but made in Bavaria somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roman View Post
    Limmer isn't just custom with the long wait, they get some really nice stock sizes that I think are branded Limmer but made in Bavaria somewhere.
    I don't know Limmer (or really any of these brands, though I am watching this thread carefully as I'd like to get into some hiking) but being a Bavarian hiking boot is probably not a bad thing. They do a lot of it in Europe and I think there are some very high quality hiking boots/shoes coming from Germany.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I like the Limmers a lot, but alas there is no toe cap/bumper and that is a deal breaker. But Ben pointed me in the right direction for the Raichle/Mammut. The Mt. Trail XT GTX looks like it fits the bill: Mt. Trail XT GTX Men - Men's Footwear - Mammut

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only thing I'd say, Joe, is that both the Raichles I had and the Moraines (at least back when they were made by OneSport) had full leather liners, which made all the difference in terms of fit and breathability. Lots of GTX boots don't so I'd check that out.

After buying and being unsatisfied with La Sportivas and Vasques, I'm currently pretty satisfied with the Lowa Banff.

No toe cap, but that's something you could add pretty easily with some Shoe Goo, provided you're not overly concerned with the look of your boots. And really, you shouldn't be. Fit is first, and everything else is beyond secondary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Danner.com 50% off Danner boots today 12/4/10. enter goodfriend at checkout.

I got an email and am posting it up. They have some full leather uppers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast