Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magnolia Cycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Magnolia Cycles

Thanks for the opportunity to be Smoked Out. I love Velocipede Salon. Here is my story:

Thanks to Richard for smoking me out. I am Michael Crum of Magnolia Cycles in Memphis, TN. I am a bit of a "lurker" here but please forgive me as I feel those regulars contributing to the conversation do an amazing job and I've always been a bit of a wallflower.

As many of us did, I fell in love with bicycles as a kid and got my first bike shop quality mountain bike in junior high. Soon I was repairing my own bike with the help of a neighbor and being a shop rat at the l.b.s. By the end of high school, I had decided all I wanted to do was ride trials, be a bike mechanic, and build custom bikes. I attended UBI in 1997 and after bouncing around for about twelve years, I was presented the opportunity to start Magnolia Cycles.

I've never been much of a racer, though I gave xc a shot in high school and competed in the few trials events in Arkansas where I grew up. We actually had a pretty strong group of riders in the mid-nineties with a few junior national champs and one UCI junior team member. In 2000 I had a surgery which, along with a herniated disc, pretty much ended my trials riding. In 2003 I moved to Memphis and discovered I actually enjoyed road cycling.

I moved to Memphis to attend art school and while there discovered metalsmithing. I learned a lot about brazing and enjoyed it and realized I was pretty good at working with metal. For reasons I'll never know, it didn't occur to me to build a bike while in metals class; I guess I was too focused on building outlandish tea pots I would never finish, and in some cases, never start.

As a builder I strive for quality, of course, and want to build bikes that are functional, practical and lightweight. To me a great road bike, for example, is one that can be ridden on the weekend group rides but is also able to handle a dirt road epic or daily commutes. Although I love the process of building a classic lugged bike, I also would like to build bikes with a more modern feel.

I'm sure I could elaborate more but I'd rather hear what everyone else wants to know than to bore with uninteresting details.

Thanks for reading.

Michael Crum
    Magnolia Cycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Magnolia Cycles

Hey Michael, good to see you here. I checked out your flickr stuff and saw some nice bi-lam work and a bit of fillet brazing along with lugs. So how long have you been building and what's the cycling community like in Memphis?
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Michael,
    Thanks for adding to Smoked Out. I like the straightforwardness of your site and was concerned to read about the fire you guys had, glad you are getting it under control.
    As a new(er) builder how have you been dealing with odd requests or more specificly, requests for a frame style that you either haven't built yet or aren't paticularly fond of?
    Also, what has been your biggest hurdle to getting Magnolia up and running? (great name by the way)
    Thanks,
    Jake

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by edoz View Post
    Hey Michael, good to see you here. I checked out your flickr stuff and saw some nice bi-lam work and a bit of fillet brazing along with lugs. So how long have you been building and what's the cycling community like in Memphis?
    Thanks edoz. I've been building around two years now. The cycling community in Memphis has grown a lot since I moved here. We have a huge triathlon scene and as a whole we are pretty tight knit. Memphis is a big small town and chances are in the cycling community there are only two degrees of separation between any two cyclists.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bellman View Post
    Hey Michael,
    Thanks for adding to Smoked Out. I like the straightforwardness of your site and was concerned to read about the fire you guys had, glad you are getting it under control.
    As a new(er) builder how have you been dealing with odd requests or more specificly, requests for a frame style that you either haven't built yet or aren't paticularly fond of?
    Also, what has been your biggest hurdle to getting Magnolia up and running? (great name by the way)
    Thanks,
    Jake
    I actually haven't been approached with any styles I'm not fond of but if I were it would depend on the degree to which I was not fond of the style. I'm not one to sacrifice my ideals to make a buck so if I didn't want to do it I would probably turn it down. As for a style I haven't built yet, I love to expand my knowledge and test myself whenever possible. I would never do anything I don't feel confident with or experiment on anyone other than myself.

As for the biggest hurdle I would have to say the lack of sales locally. I get a lot of enthusiasm from the cycling community and everyone wishes me the best but Memphis just doesn't have a large enough pool of cyclists to have a steady stream of business. Most of the guys are into carbon which I can understand since they are racing but they are slowly catching on and two guys have Speedvagens on the way so maybe that will get the ball rolling.

Thanks for the questions Jake

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey michael - if you could rub your stomach and create the model you'd like to be in five years from now, what would it be atmo?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a few decades back, when working with the advance/discount auto marriage --- spent nights at the peabody .... remember the duck walk, prior to the cold foamy tappers...
    i always thought what a neat town to ride a bike, bike commute, and eat the best bbq -- listen to jazz & blues..
    your logo name -- magnolia, a tree of the southern culture / very tasteful (head badge coat of arms tell me alot) ----
    have you considered tapin into the jazz/blues festival, elvis - the king at grayson or the bbq capital usa...

it just takes a "right place / right time," 1 time to go from "taxi the runway to fly in the sky.."

i might be seein a "magnolia jazz" someday,

ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    hey michael - if you could rub your stomach and create the model you'd like to be in five years from now, what would it be atmo?
    The model I'd like to be in five years? That's a good question. I would really like to earn the same reputation I have here in Memphis as a mechanic. A reputation for high quality and craftsmanship as well as great customer service. Anything beyond that would be icing on the cake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ron l edmiston View Post
    your logo name -- magnolia, a tree of the southern culture / very tasteful (head badge coat of arms tell me alot) ----
    have you considered tapin into the jazz/blues festival, elvis - the king at grayson or the bbq capital usa...
    ronnie
    Memphis has a rich heritage that brings people from all over the world but I don't feel the need to tap into that in any way to distinguish myself, if that's what you mean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by magnoliacycles View Post
    Memphis has a rich heritage that brings people from all over the world but I don't feel the need to tap into that in any way to distinguish myself, if that's what you mean.
    just some marketing concepts/ideas that might coinside ... that's all..
    "distinguish" was never a thought interjection..

my best,

ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ron l edmiston View Post
    just some marketing concepts/ideas that might coinside ... that's all..
    "distinguish" was never a thought interjection..

my best,

ronnie
    I gotcha now. I hadn't really thought about it but I'm open to it.

mc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm curious about the lugged black 29er on your Flickr page. Were you able to use any off the shelf lugs, or did you make them all? How are your lugs made, are they tig'ed or fillet brazed?
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by edoz View Post
    I'm curious about the lugged black 29er on your Flickr page. Were you able to use any off the shelf lugs, or did you make them all? How are your lugs made, are they tig'ed or fillet brazed?
    Those are actually Llewellyn lugs. The geometry worked out pretty well. If I do another lugged 29er I will probably make the lugs and for that I would fillet braze them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK - question time. Awnser as you see fit. "what do you bring to the collective framebuilding table" - why would someone buy one of your bikes & not one of the offerings from others out there? Your frame price is pretty average for a high quality experienced builder, so what makes a client drop the deposit in your court? Since this is the WWW I will add that this is not asked in a negative way but as more of a segue to more content. - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    OK - question time. Awnser as you see fit. "what do you bring to the collective framebuilding table" - why would someone buy one of your bikes & not one of the offerings from others out there? Your frame price is pretty average for a high quality experienced builder, so what makes a client drop the deposit in your court? Since this is the WWW I will add that this is not asked in a negative way but as more of a segue to more content. - Garro.
    I feel what I bring to the table is another perspective. What that perspective is may still, and always be under development but it will be worthy. I come from an art background and am very process oriented. I do nearly everything by hand and only have a few electric tools. I think this process connects me to the work on a very intimate level. I have nothing against those who use machinery and really would love to have a lathe or a mill but I do love my process. This lends itself well to more traditional frames but I also have a desire to use this process to build frames with a more modern feel. Purchasing a bike from me may be a leap of faith for some since I don't have the reputation or notoriety as someone such as yourself (Big fan of your work btw) but I can offer them a quality product. As with most builders my prices reflect my personal value of my work and allow a reasonable margin to enable me to continue. I have done frames in trade and for cost plus deals but I don't do that often lest people come to expect it. As a new builder it is daunting to look at the sheer number of great builders out there and say "There's room for me too" but I do feel I have a place and hope everyone agrees. To date most of my work has been pretty straight forward lugged or fillet brazed but I do have some bikes in the pipeline with which I hope to distinguish myself. Nothing groundbreaking but I think it will be nice. In the beginning all I wanted to do was build bikes. Now that I have proven to myself I can do that I want to create an aesthetic that is Magnolia Cycles. I have an idea of that aesthetic and will be working toward it in the coming months and years.

Thanks for the questions Steve. I feel honored to be a part of this list.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by magnoliacycles View Post
    I feel what I bring to the table is another perspective. What that perspective is may still, and always be under development but it will be worthy. I come from an art background and am very process oriented. I do nearly everything by hand and only have a few electric tools. I think this process connects me to the work on a very intimate level. I have nothing against those who use machinery and really would love to have a lathe or a mill but I do love my process. This lends itself well to more traditional frames but I also have a desire to use this process to build frames with a more modern feel. Purchasing a bike from me may be a leap of faith for some since I don't have the reputation or notoriety as someone such as yourself (Big fan of your work btw) but I can offer them a quality product. As with most builders my prices reflect my personal value of my work and allow a reasonable margin to enable me to continue. I have done frames in trade and for cost plus deals but I don't do that often lest people come to expect it. As a new builder it is daunting to look at the sheer number of great builders out there and say "There's room for me too" but I do feel I have a place and hope everyone agrees. To date most of my work has been pretty straight forward lugged or fillet brazed but I do have some bikes in the pipeline with which I hope to distinguish myself. Nothing groundbreaking but I think it will be nice. In the beginning all I wanted to do was build bikes. Now that I have proven to myself I can do that I want to create an aesthetic that is Magnolia Cycles. I have an idea of that aesthetic and will be working toward it in the coming months and years.

Thanks for the questions Steve. I feel honored to be a part of this list.
    Nice, is there a chance I could hire you to ghost write all my answers from here on out?.........please :)
    Last edited by bellman; 12-03-2010 at 02:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bellman View Post
    Nice, is there a chance I could hire you to ghost right all my answers from here on out?.........please :)
    Thanks, from time to time I'm able to assemble my thoughts and get them out for everyone to read.

My ghost writing fees reflect my ego's value of my work and you probably don't want to know the price. :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks to everyone who came out to NAHBS. I had a great time showing my bike and talking shop with everyone. It was also great to meet some of you in person for the first time. Here are some links to photos I have found or have been sent to me of my bike.

Flickr: bensondoc's Photostream

NAHBS | 2011 | North American Handmade Bicycle Show | Magnolia Cycles | #NAHBS

If you see any more photos I'd love to have the link.

--mc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just wanted to say thanks for all the help you provided to me and the Oregon guys at NAHBS. It was great to have an extra set of helping hands!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Estlund View Post
    I just wanted to say thanks for all the help you provided to me and the Oregon guys at NAHBS. It was great to have an extra set of helping hands!
    +1 on that. Mike was the best. Thanks again.

Conor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast