User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Anyone have a vector drawing of a frame?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Anyone have a vector drawing of a frame?

I was wondering if anyone here has a vector graphics format image of a frame; .eps, .ai, and .svg are the most common formats; PDF might also work. Road or mountain is fine, both is better, tandem would be a bonus. All I have right now are regular raster images like the one attached, and they look like crap when resized.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Pete
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Anyone have a vector drawing of a frame?

If you PM me your email address I'll send you what ever format you want. I copied the above illustration for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cardinal View Post
    If you PM me your email address I'll send you what ever format you want. I copied the above illustration for you.
    That sounds really cool Matt. I have Illustrator - how do you do that?

I know how to Convert Outlines, etc., for text.

In the past I've created a "new" path by tracing around an object adding anchor points. It works, but it's slow and tedious.

Any tips?

Thanks,

Conor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inkscape does a fairly competent job of tracing that bitmap, but the diagonal lines get pretty faint in some places so it adds some features that aren't really there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I Just did it the slow and tedious way, but because I work with Illustrator a lot it is less slow. The illustration took about 15 minutes.
    I used the pen tool to drop ancor points around the outside of the frame and the outside of the fork (made them separate in case you want to remove one or the other). Then I made new paths (pen tool again) for the interior sections that I remove from the bigger frame outline by selecting them and choosing Object>Path>Divide objects below. Then reselect the area you are removing and hit the delete button. Repeat for all other interior features.

I added lug detail with the pen tool in a line weight of .5

With Illustrator and most other design programs there are multiple ways to skin a cat, this is the way that I came to figure it out. There are several other ways to get the same result. When I figured out the "divide objects below" feature it opened up a lot of possibilities with illustrator. I hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cardinal View Post
    I Just did it the slow and tedious way, but because I work with Illustrator a lot it is less slow. The illustration took about 15 minutes.
    I used the pen tool to drop ancor points around the outside of the frame and the outside of the fork (made them separate in case you want to remove one or the other). Then I made new paths (pen tool again) for the interior sections that I remove from the bigger frame outline by selecting them and choosing Object>Path>Divide objects below. Then reselect the area you are removing and hit the delete button. Repeat for all other interior features.

I added lug detail with the pen tool in a line weight of .5

With Illustrator and most other design programs there are multiple ways to skin a cat, this is the way that I came to figure it out. There are several other ways to get the same result. When I figured out the "divide objects below" feature it opened up a lot of possibilities with illustrator. I hope that helps.
    Thanks Matt. I'm pretty much a neophyte around Illustrator and go through various immersion sessions and then promptly forget how to do everything that I taught myself how to do. Then when I need to do something new I have to go through the learning curve again.

I did know about dropping anchor points, but it's definitely a slow process for me. Dividing objects sounds cool.

</sigh>

Conor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Conor,
    I suppose that is the positive side of having a day job. If you don't have an excuse to use these tools every day, it's hard to remember the best way to use them.
    Last edited by cardinal; 11-30-2010 at 01:05 AM.