Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Anvil Bikes

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    Mr. Ferris,

Among all the great Smoked Out stories, yours might be the bestest. If I’m following your story right, after one successful and singular career you start a 2nd building frames. And it turns out that not only do the fixtures you developed to build them draw their own market, but that creating and producing those clever, substantial tools is where your passion and talent lies.

So you’ve come, rightfully, to dominate that market. Maybe your character can only be satisfied when creating something new, as opposed to chasing the perfection of something already established? I’m pushing this long-distance psychology way too far, so I’ll drop it. Especially because I’ve really got no questions for you.

I just wanted to say that:

1. Reading this thread has been way entertaining;
    2. Your whiskey recommendations, and your whiskey, have made my life better; and
    3. I’m sorry I ever said your posts were narcissistic and petty, and even hostile.

I’m glad I know you. Maybe you'll get me on one of those Nancys someday. For now I’m going to throw my 26” dual-suspension Taiwan bike in the back of my bone-stock Honda Fit and go for a ride.
    Dooooood.....you go too far....and that's just the way I like it. Thanks. Really.

And I still think it's funny how you used to hate on me before you figured out I'm just in it for the LOL's!
    "It's better to not know so much than to know so many things that ain't so." -- Josh Billings, 1885

A man with any character at all must have enemies and places he is not welcome—in the end we are not only defined by our friends, but also those aligned against us.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Archibald View Post
    Dooooood.....you go too far....and that's just the way I like it. Thanks. Really.

And I still think it's funny how you used to hate on me before you figured out I'm just in it for the LOL's!
    davids actually had a near death experience at the nahbs dinner when you walked away from the table.
    he faked choking, but the truth is his heart was broken because we didn't have a seat left for you atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I assume that those bikes in the VW van are your mountain bikes that you use for those crazy jumping pics you've posted. It may be a stupid question, but do you build your own mountain bikes? Of what? My Anvil was steel but did you ever build of aluminum or titanium?
    I build my own and I ride others. I'm a huge fan of Noel Buckley of Knolly Bikes and we're sushi & drinking buddies so I have/had a number of his bikes. I also have a Brooklyn Race Link which is my DH race bike. Brooklyn is a customer of mine and I always loved the design of that bike; it was prescient in so many ways and still one of the best performing rear suspension designs I've ever used. I also have a McClung that is a beaut, and a Jeff Lindsey Mountain Goat Deluxe. It's all good.

I've built bikes out of all materials...well, not CF unless you count rear ends and seat tubes/top tubes as I've never built a full CF bike...but I really, really, really, like steel and it's what I always choose for myself. I like paint and I like how tough & pragmatic steel is.
    "It's better to not know so much than to know so many things that ain't so." -- Josh Billings, 1885

A man with any character at all must have enemies and places he is not welcome—in the end we are not only defined by our friends, but also those aligned against us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anthonymaietta View Post
    Don,

When is this going to be available?

As you know I am a huge fan and customer of your products. I don't really have a question right now, but wanted to just say thanks for everything.

Tony
    Thanks Tony. Very soon now, pre-Austin. Mike Z. has been kicking me in the nuts for it since Richmond and I never felt my previous efforts were worthwhile. The new one is completely adjustable from 19mm to almost 5 frikken inches (can't forget about the snow bikes, ya'll!) and works in the fixture (our fixtures anyway) and off. It's really titties and goes to a whole new level with some design features that will eventually transfer to other Anvil tools.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    davids actually had a near death experience at the nahbs dinner when you walked away from the table.
    he faked choking, but the truth is his heart was broken because we didn't have a seat left for you atmo.
    Ha!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Arch, thanks for getting smoked out. You're a stud and it's amazing how much you've done in such a short time. I Remember when you came on the scenes and quickly became one of the best TIG framebuilder back in the day, you really drove me crazy because you were so damn good. I'm glad you only build tools now :) That being said, as you know I'm a big Anvil fan. I have a couple of your pieces and I love them. You do a great job of balancing flexibility of application while limiting the flexibility of the tool itself.

Before Anvil builders had Marchetti and Bicycle Machinery which are both out of reach and overbuilt for most custom builders and of course there was the Hank frame fixture. You created a new product that allowed small builders to mechanize their process without having to make their own tools. Finally there was something that most could afford that allowed the flexibility to build a broad range of custom frames using a variety of material and specifications (I know that sounds like a sales pitch, sorry). Surprisingly at the same time there was an onslaught of new builders. Coincidental?
    Carl Strong
    Strong Frames Inc.
    www.strongframes.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Carl S View Post
    Hey Arch, thanks for getting smoked out. You're a stud and it's amazing how much you've done in such a short time. I Remember when you came on the scenes and quickly became one of the best TIG framebuilder back in the day, you really drove me crazy because you were so damn good. I'm glad you only build tools now :) That being said, as you know I'm a big Anvil fan. I have a couple of your pieces and I love them. You do a great job of balancing flexibility of application while limiting the flexibility of the tool itself.

Before Anvil builders had Marchetti and Bicycle Machinery which are both out of reach and overbuilt for most custom builders and of course there was the Hank frame fixture. You created a new product that allowed small builders to mechanize their process without having to make their own tools. Finally there was something that most could afford that allowed the flexibility to build a broad range of custom frames using a variety of material and specifications (I know that sounds like a sales pitch, sorry). Surprisingly at the same time there was an onslaught of new builders. Coincidental?
    Carl. Man. Thanks. Damn. Are you trying to make me cry?

Ditto. I always said you were so Pro it hurts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yo Don!

Enjoy the smoke...a longer post is coming, but must go do some work whilst the sun shines.

WP

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm just in it for the LOL's!
    I'm glad I wasn't the only one. Hey, are you a proponent of 29ers? That Tomac thread took me back to high school and my old trek 950.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don,
    We wish we could have a shop full of your tools. The fork jig is awesome.
    Thanks,
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm proud to say that I was an Anvil frame customer back-in-the-day. Unfortunately for Don, it was my first custom frame purchase, and I'm sure I was the typical newb pain-in-the-ass: too much excitement and not enough real knowledge/wisdom to just let him do his job without all my obsessing & pestering. But in spite of my "help", it turned out spectacularly. So much so that I immediately placed another order. Those two frames have served me extremely well over the years - many miles & even more smiles. I consider myself fortunate to have them, and they're not going anywhere, ever. And the knowledge & entertainment I've gotten from his forum contributions over the years - priceless.

So, Don, "Thanks!" I hope I can rearrange some work commitments & make it to Austin this year - I owe you a rye, or two, or several.

Oh yeah, a question. . . Can you make me a custom Anvil headbadge for that fixee of mine? (insert smiley)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm still not convinced you and Mewkill aren't the same person. I've never seen the two of you together.

Oh wait, I have. But there was enough liquor involved at that point that it's possible I was just seeing double.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    Hey, spare me a little dignity. It could have been for other members of the Don-er party.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shinomaster View Post
    I'm glad I wasn't the only one. Hey, are you a proponent of 29ers? That Tomac thread took me back to high school and my old trek 950.
    Don't get me started on 29ers. I like 'em ok, I ride them, but I'm no 29er evangelist. You want full rigid, then yeah, a 29er might work a hair better than a 26 tire w/ tire cross section being the same. I draw the line right about there. Once you start including suspension, I like the look but that's where it all just stops for me. IMHO, the biggest difference between a 29er and a 26, and why people like to rave about them is the geometry forced by them. 29er geo is long TT, short stem, usually to avoid TCO which puts that front tire further out in front of you. Use that same setup on a 26er (think DH/FR bike) and things like endo's go away for them two. The BB being below the axles helps stability too but again, it makes the front heavier and that hurts tech riding. 29ers also use longer stays and as any builder with a few years of experience knows, longer stays put a rider further in front of the rear bump center which equals smoother ride. Like I said, it's more about the geometry than the tire diameter. 29ers really have their place with the tall folks where the industry norms of 26" MTB fit are out of whack. I'll stop here.

Don't anybody get too butthurt over what I've written, it's just my opinion. I have others. :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cardinal View Post
    Don,
    We wish we could have a shop full of your tools. The fork jig is awesome.
    Thanks,
    Matt
    Hey Matt - I wish you had a shop full of Anvil tools, too! Glad you like for the fork fixture & thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by woolly View Post
    I'm proud to say that I was an Anvil frame customer back-in-the-day. Unfortunately for Don, it was my first custom frame purchase, and I'm sure I was the typical newb pain-in-the-ass: too much excitement and not enough real knowledge/wisdom to just let him do his job without all my obsessing & pestering. But in spite of my "help", it turned out spectacularly. So much so that I immediately placed another order. Those two frames have served me extremely well over the years - many miles & even more smiles. I consider myself fortunate to have them, and they're not going anywhere, ever. And the knowledge & entertainment I've gotten from his forum contributions over the years - priceless.

So, Don, "Thanks!" I hope I can rearrange some work commitments & make it to Austin this year - I owe you a rye, or two, or several.

Oh yeah, a question. . . Can you make me a custom Anvil headbadge for that fixee of mine? (insert smiley)
    Thanks Woolly, that means a lot. Those were both cool bikes. Custom headbadge? Ya' never know!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    I'm still not convinced you and Mewkill aren't the same person. I've never seen the two of you together.

Oh wait, I have. But there was enough liquor involved at that point that it's possible I was just seeing double.
    Here you go, proof that Mewkill & I aren't the same person. I'm the good looking one. He's the one that dresses like he's from Australia! :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Archie, thanks for letting me know about Binny's. I can get this stuff shipped to VT:

Old Rip Van Winkle

This man knows his tooling and bourbon or rye!
    Start slow, then taper off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don,

a couple of things..... There are so many ways to join tubes but using your fixtures and tools is part of the pleasure for me. I'll be getting that frame fixture I keep threatening you about soon.

Where does the tool business go from here? Can sales keep expanding for you frame and fork fixtures here in the US? Is the international market open to you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don, thats awsome that you included your workmates in this.
    I'm sure i'll have a question for you at some point but for now I'll leave it at this; I can't think of a better read than the story of someone who has no need to explain himself. Thanks.
    Jake