Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Llewellyn Bikes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Wayne's Llewellyn Lucentezza Cadenzia frame set

How I do the internal rear cable. Because this way the tube's durability is not sacrificed. I have seen others have problems

Cheers Dazza
    The rock star is dying. And it's a small tragedy. Rock stars have blogs now. I have no use for that kind of rock star.
    Nick Cave

www.llewellynbikes.com
    The usual Facebook page
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/llewellyncustombicycles/
    Darrell Llewellyn McCulloch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pondering some shoreline alterations

All fits eased, no stress

whizzzzzz file file file

Some prep work to some areas of the seat lug to make life easier post brazing

I was most pleased that the difficult 3D CAD design work I did using surfaces and fills (hard for me as I am self taught via the text books and do all the drafting myself!) resulted in a pleasing flow to the surfaces to the M6 Cap head seat post binder. As I sanded with 1500 grit under the balsa wood sticks I had a wee smile.

Cheers Dazza
    The rock star is dying. And it's a small tragedy. Rock stars have blogs now. I have no use for that kind of rock star.
    Nick Cave

www.llewellynbikes.com
    The usual Facebook page

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Johno collects his Llewellyn Rando

John is going on adventures

Cheers Dazza
    Nick Cave

www.llewellynbikes.com
    The usual Facebook page

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Johno collects his Llewellyn Rando

The workshop staff are pondering.
    "How are we going to do this EPS stuff Shaun?"

Cheers Dazza
    Nick Cave

www.llewellynbikes.com
    The usual Facebook page

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Wayne's Llewellyn Lucentezza Cadenzia frame set

Campy EPS cables. Ensuring that the chainstay port allows the cable plugs to pass in the restricted space, proper reinforcement of the tube piecing and to enure the grommet sits snug on flat surfaces so all is well sealed required a bit of work to achieve satisfaction to my mind and eye. I am not a fan of curved plates over large holes with the resultant badly fitting grommets that not always cover the elongated slot........

Cheers Dazza
    Nick Cave

www.llewellynbikes.com
    The usual Facebook page

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A detail that is often overlooked is the EPS- Di2 down tube cable entry point.
    This is a Lucentezza model, it demands attention to this.
    I ponder, gears churn inside my cranium
    then
    I get a piece of rare Columbus stainless tubing that I keep in stock squirreled away for special jobs, for who knows what or when.
    I turn some stainless on the lathe for the grommet facet. I drill the DT, I make a template to give me better visual guide to give more clarity of the aesthetic direction.
    Wrrrrrrrr, Wizzzzz, file file Whrrrrrrrr, file file, Vroommmmmmm, to the stainless tube. The result pleases me.
    I braze to the tube and give it the first stage sand and polish, did not even bother to wipe the dust off before knocking off after a long day in the workshop.

Cheers Dazza
    Nick Cave

www.llewellynbikes.com
    The usual Facebook page

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EPS FD

New stainless steel FD braze on part gets the treatment

Stem spacer turned from 306 stainless, will be painted with the frame.

Done at the end of the day, bridges tomorrow

Cheers Dazza
    Nick Cave

www.llewellynbikes.com
    The usual Facebook page

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No chrome here

Cheers Dazza
    Nick Cave

www.llewellynbikes.com
    The usual Facebook page

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I make stuff, keep making stuff, I need to make stuff, making is the substance and validation

Cheers Dazza
    Nick Cave

www.llewellynbikes.com
    The usual Facebook page

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did not get a lot done at the workbench yesterday, other stuff to sort through, but before knock off time I got the stainless steel rear drops polished off. I am pleased to say, I am pleased with the shaping. It is a bit different than what I have done on previous Lucentezza frame sets. Thinking back, I remember seeing some of Bruce Gordon's lug work, 8-10 years ago and these dropouts have a similar appearance. Maybe it was stored away in my sub conscience to be called upon later, but as I scribbled on the bare surface of the dropout I was not conscience of such. Who knows what is rattling inside of cranium?

Cheers Dazza
    Nick Cave

www.llewellynbikes.com
    The usual Facebook page

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default A bicycle that gives them many years of enjoyable riding.

My elaborated use of stainless steel to replace chrome came about after 1997 which was when I last made a frame that had Chrome plating. That bike won an Aussie Vet road title in 97 or was it 98? Any how I was not pleased with the chrome quality. I was prompted in 2001 to visit stainless lug use deeper for aesthetic desires and to refine my use and work with Joe regards to the paint technique, In the long term stainless has many advantages over chrome plating, but it hugely labourious compared to chrome plating. It was all part of one aspect and or direction with regards to my urge to keep refining my work. The Lucentezza frame set using stainless lugs is just one aspect of my bicycle making. It was in 2001 that I returned home to Queensland and went full time making steel bicycles. Up until then I was a part time builder, working at the LBS and spending 6-8 months in Europe as a mechanic with the Aussie teams. I was told by many I was silly to want to make fine steel bicycles in the then age of TIG welding aluminium frames. I was told by some frame making luminaries that I should not make stainless lugged bike frames. ”it is not what we do” was one quote! OK, it is fine if these builders have no desire to make stainless lugged frames. Now that is all sweet and cool, but this potato likes to make a couple of them each year, many are exported to the US, UK and Europe. I do really only like to make a couple of these each year because they are just simply very big jobs. I have a commitment to another Lucentezza frame set build later this year and there is talk of a few more next year.
    I do not want to be all things to all people in regards to bicycles. I do not have to chase the market trends to ensure sales are buoyant and thus containers from the wharf keep rolling in.
    Making bicycles is my chosen path of professional expression. My flavour is steel tubes, lugged construction and some lugless. If I was young lad today, maybe I would have a different flavour but until retirement I am happy to make Llewellyn bikes for clients to take them on adventures.
    A bicycle that gives them many years of enjoyable riding. So with each passing year, their Llewellyn bicycle gives them greater value. Thus they Cherish their Llewellyn. That pleases me.

Cheers Dazza
    Nick Cave

www.llewellynbikes.com
    The usual Facebook page

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dazza,

I realize you like things to stand out like those fancy hearts, twirly things, and cutouts on your frames but you should post in default font and use black. It's easier on the eyes.

DCT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sigh.
    Cheers Dazza
    Nick Cave

www.llewellynbikes.com
    The usual Facebook page

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DCT View Post
    Dazza,

I realize you like things to stand out like those fancy hearts, twirly things, and cutouts on your frames but you should post in default font and use black. It's easier on the eyes.

DCT
    Sigh. Do I want things to stand out? I am not so sure that is it, rather, I don't march in step, in step with the norm is some times hard to digest, however, as a concession to your discomfort
    Cheers Dazza
    Nick Cave

www.llewellynbikes.com
    The usual Facebook page

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Wayne's Llewellyn Lucentezza Cadenzia frame set

default lifestyle
    meets
    public default life style request

Cheers Dazza
    Nick Cave

www.llewellynbikes.com
    The usual Facebook page

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
    Sigh.
    I'm just recommending that you leave the font as default.
    No one wants to read

blue large text

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dazza,

DCT
    The realization that I want my "things to stand out" is incorrect. The purpose is that this is my income, a chosen path of professional expression. These particular frame sets are a pile of toil that the client commissions me to do, they pass their hard earned gold coin to me for this. I will only do 1 or 2 of these each year because they are draining and difficult. If I was to never make another "Lucentezza" frame set ever again, I will not be disappointed. However I rise to the challenge within myself to execute the best possible work when a client desires me to do so.
    I am rather resistant to marching in step with the norm, or I would be just another black with a bit of red and white Carbon importer.
    Maybe it is my resistance to default fonts and form that is difficult. I was unaware that it was hard on your eyes. Maybe I am guilty of this ignorance because I do not use a hand held device. I use a big screen PC only. However, I am happy to concede to your request and perhaps others may find it more pleasing that I am defaulted.

My elaborated use of stainless steel to replace chrome came about after 1997 which was when I last made a frame that had Chrome plating. That bike won an Aussie Vet road title in 97 or was it 98? Any how I was not pleased with the chrome quality. I was prompted in 2001 to visit stainless lug use deeper for aesthetic desires and to refine my use and work with Joe regards to the paint technique, In the long term stainless has many advantages over chrome plating, but it hugely labourious compared to chrome plating. It was all part of one aspect and or direction with regards to my urge to keep refining my work. The Lucentezza frame set using stainless lugs is just one aspect of my bicycle making. It was in 2001 that I returned home to Queensland and went full time making steel bicycles. Up until then I was a part time builder, working at the LBS and spending 6-8 months in Europe as a mechanic with the Aussie teams. I was told by many I was silly to want to make fine steel bicycles in the then age of TIG welding aluminium frames. I was told by some frame making luminaries that I should not make stainless lugged bike frames. ”it is not what we do” was one quote! OK, it is fine if these builders have no desire to make stainless lugged frames. Now that is all sweet and cool, but this potato likes to make a couple of them each year, many are exported to the US, UK and Europe. I do really only like to make a couple of these each year because they are just simply very big jobs. I have a commitment to another Lucentezza frame set build later this year and there is talk of a few more next year.
    I do not want to be all things to all people in regards to bicycles. I do not have to chase the market trends to ensure sales are buoyant and thus containers from the wharf keep rolling in.
    Making bicycles is my chosen path of professional expression. My flavour is steel tubes, lugged construction and some lugless. If I was young lad today, maybe I would have a different flavour but until retirement I am happy to make Llewellyn bikes for clients to take them on adventures.
    A bicycle that gives them many years of enjoyable riding. So with each passing year, their Llewellyn bicycle gives them greater value. Thus they Cherish their Llewellyn. That pleases me.

Cheers Dazza
    Nick Cave

www.llewellynbikes.com
    The usual Facebook page

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No one wants to read

blue large text
    I respectfully disagree. But I only speak for myself.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No one wants to read

blue large text
    Happy to default, but you are the first to make such a comment to me.

Message box is a useful tool accessory for an administrator.

End of it all.
    I am happy to concede
    I am defaulted
    Cheers Dazza
    Nick Cave

www.llewellynbikes.com
    The usual Facebook page

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So long as he continues to send the pictures of the bikes, I don't care what font he uses.

Keep them coming.

Thanks.

Greg.