Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dropout Adjuster removal tricks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dropout Adjuster removal tricks

I've got an old 62 Paramount in the shop I'm repainting for a pal that has very coroded and broken dropout adjusters. They are both broken off flush. Anybody have any tricks to removing these things?

thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Dropout Adjuster removal tricks

I had the same issue, not surprisingly also on an old paramount. I had to drill out and re-tap:

* File broken end flat to the dropout
    * Carefully mark the center with a good hit on a small center punch
    * Even more carefully drill. This took me a good 20 minutes with a new TiN bit.
    * Tap

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I've got an old 62 Paramount in the shop I'm repainting for a pal that has very coroded and broken dropout adjusters. They are both broken off flush. Anybody have any tricks to removing these things?

thanks
    inside the DO too? do you think they are siezed as well? pics? if it's a re-paint can you braze anything to them?- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was recently covered in another internet frame list. The suggestions were to drill and retap, EDM out the screw (and retap?) or weld a rod to the end that sticks into the slot and unthread screw (if not stuck). Thank god I've not had to remove a flushly broken off screw, only sticky stuck ones. When chasing or retapping be REAL careful. Lots of cutting fluid, a new/sharp tap and good technique. Those taps are fragile!
    Andy Stewart
    10%

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    inside the DO too? do you think they are siezed as well? pics? if it's a re-paint can you braze anything to them?- Garro.
    They are flush and seized. I'll see if I can take some pics. It would be nice to get this 40yo lady back on the road.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Use an ezout. Prep. the adjusters with the ezout kit first and go ahead and screw the ezout in than heat the whole mess with a torch and when it gets hot spray with a mist of water and work quick.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 11-07-2010 at 04:10 PM.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah what they said atmo.
    i cut them off with a saw, file the back side down as much as possible, and no. 49 bit drill a hole through, and then another...

after that, i run the 3 x .05 tap through and show it who's boss atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jonathan,

There is a tool designed specifically to remove taps. It has hardened steel "fingers" that slide down the side of the tap into the grooves for chip removal. You have to buy a tool that has the same number of fingers as grooves. These fingers rest in the parent tool - which is a round steel dowel with milled slots for backing the fingers held above the tap. There is a sleeve that slides down to hold the fingers tight on the tool and in the tap. A square head at the top of the tool allows for it to be turned with a wrench. If you are lucky, the fingers won't break off when the tool is turned. I've used it with success a few times. It works easier on larger taps but it will work on a 3 X .5 thread.

Doug

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Fattic View Post
    Jonathan,

There is a tool designed specifically to remove taps. It has hardened steel "fingers" that slide down the side of the tap into the grooves for chip removal. You have to buy a tool that has the same number of fingers as grooves. These fingers rest in the parent tool - which is a round steel dowel with milled slots for backing the fingers held above the tap. There is a sleeve that slides down to hold the fingers tight on the tool and in the tap. A square head at the top of the tool allows for it to be turned with a wrench. If you are lucky, the fingers won't break off when the tool is turned. I've used it with success a few times. It works easier on larger taps but it will work on a 3 X .5 thread.

Doug
    it's the screw, not the tap atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if there is any protruding into the dropout area, you might be able to fiie a small flat on the top and bottom and get it to move with some needlenose pliers by advancing it further into the dropout. most of the time stuff gets tight trying to remove but is fairly easy to move if you are inserting it. Heat the dropout and count to 100 and give it a whirl.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks, all