User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: chefs- any butcher block recommendations?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default OT: chefs- any butcher block recommendations?

We go through cutting boards like water around our house, and I want to get my wife a keeper. Her mom has one that’s about 3” high and roughly 21” square that is a true kitchen centerpiece. I’m looking for something similar, ideally made somewhat locally or at least on the East Coast.
    Does anyone have one, recommend one, know someone who makes them?

Below is a representative of what I’m looking for- this is from Sur La Table, but I’d prefer to buy straight from the source, maybe get a monogram burned into the edge or something.

Thanks,
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: OT: chefs- any butcher block recommendations?

County fairs have outstanding crafts and about 10 yrs. ago I got a curly maple block that's been a joy. I think that Sugarloaf is coming up very soon
    Last edited by Too Tall; 11-05-2010 at 01:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes. These guys, hands down:

Soundview Millworks

They are beautiful, handmade (made in his woodshop garage in Darien, CT. I've been there quite a few times). PM me and I can hook you up with the owner, or feel free to contact 'em directly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Try my neighbor! Cutting boards that last forever & look great. Beautiful furniture, too!

Vermont Hand Crafted Furniture Maker Robert Gasperetti

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You go through cutting boards? What the hell are you cutting with, a chain saw? Are you actually wearing out the wood? We've had the same cheap-ass "Bed Bath and Beyond" hardwood cutting board for more than 5 years and it's still fine. And, yes, we do a lot of serious cooking around here and use the board multiple times every day. That said, I'd probably pick a board with as few separate pieces of wood as possible (i.e. not some intricate series of little wooden cubes). I imagine the glued joints are the weak part of something that gets constant cycles of wet and dry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check out those made using bamboo. Suppah tough stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mom gave me a teak cutting board when I "went off" to college. I cook quite a bit (by today's standards) and I'm still using it. (i'm not good enough with trig to calculate the angles of mine age.)

Next I'm getting the big antique block that she renewed many years ago and has been in storage these last few years. Get a handmade I say.

But I also don't get wearing 'em out. Dull knives? A lot of serrated sawing? Putting laminated stuff in the dishwasher?
    Last edited by WadePatton; 11-05-2010 at 05:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

maple on the end grain. all you need. not sure where to directly source but there are tons on the internet for great prices that are going to be american if not canadian. i got one of these. 3"x18"

Last edited by crumpton; 11-05-2010 at 05:36 PM.
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram
    "Tradition is a guide, not a jailer" —Justin Robinson
    "Mastery before Creativity"—Nicholas Crumpton 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crumpton View Post
    maple on the end grain. all you need. not sure where to directly source but there are tons on the internet for great prices that are going to be american if not canadian. i got one of these. 3"x18"

Roger that!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if used for raw meats, the specie needs to me Hard Maple. Others will allow bacteria to grow in the grain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram
    "Tradition is a guide, not a jailer" —Justin Robinson
    "Mastery before Creativity"—Nicholas Crumpton 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I"ll give a shout out to VT Butcher Block and Board Company. I have a Maple board with Walnut stripes. Don't remember the dimensions but it's pretty big. Plenty big enough for me and I cook several times a week. Don't have a pic but any of my dinner posts in the what are you cooking for dinner tonight forum have the block in it. They're top quality and a little less expensive than a Boos, although Boos blocks are pretty darn awesome also. Either one would serve you well.
    "Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride"
    -H.S.T.

"Convenience can take over, it can be distracting, and it can make you lazy."
    -Grant Peterson

Adventures in Food and Eating

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you want custom, unique, find a good cabinet maker in your neighborhood, tell him what you want.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love this place- lots of knowledge.

I've got a handful of phone calls to make. Thanks gang.

PS- w/r/t us killing cutting boards, they all eventually split due to washing- need something solid, or at least bonded together way better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots of nice options here, but what's it for?

I gather that poultry, etc. are not getting cut up on a big wooden board that lives on the counter, right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    I love this place- lots of knowledge.

I've got a handful of phone calls to make. Thanks gang.

PS- w/r/t us killing cutting boards, they all eventually split due to washing- need something solid, or at least bonded together way better.
    the key, as noted above, is end grain--i.e. lots of little blocks glued together, as in the pic's above, but not the long strips glued together--the latter always end up delaminating, no matter how expensive.

I will say also that my sister turned me on to the little plastic sheets (about 12x24 and a couple mm thick)--they are cheap, wash up easily, and can be picked up and curled to drop your chopped goodies right into the pot. not sure if they seem quite as soft on the knives (they deaden the shock less over granite, for example), but a nice addition to the quiver/stable/herd (add your own metaphor in hopes of conjuring the swoopmaster back) of cutting materials.
    we picked up 3 for less than $10 at BBB--you can use one for raw meat, one for veggies, etc , and they are colored so easy to keep separate. not as pretty or sturdy as a nice maple end grain piece, but....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

washing, aha!

scrape and wipe and oil, lastes forevers.

avoid hot water and soaking at all costs. nnnnever dishwasher.

*on the whole cross-contam thing. start your work with a dry-clean board, do all things to serve raw first, then veggies to be cooked, last meat.

no need to clean between, only after.
    Last edited by WadePatton; 11-07-2010 at 01:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dang View Post
    I gather that poultry, etc. are not getting cut up on a big wooden board that lives on the counter, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by giordana93 View Post
    I will say also that my sister turned me on to the little plastic sheets (about 12x24 and a couple mm thick)--they are cheap, wash up easily, and can be picked up and curled to drop your chopped goodies right into the pot. not sure if they seem quite as soft on the knives (they deaden the shock less over granite, for example), but a nice addition to the quiver/stable/herd (add your own metaphor in hopes of conjuring the swoopmaster back) of cutting materials.
    we picked up 3 for less than $10 at BBB--you can use one for raw meat, one for veggies, etc , and they are colored so easy to keep separate. not as pretty or sturdy as a nice maple end grain piece, but....
    I use the Plastic ones when I'm cutting raw meats or poultry etc on my maple board because they're so easy to clean. All veggies etc get cut right on the board which lives on the counter next to the stove. Scrape clean or use a semi-damp sponge but always dry immediately and thoroughly and wipe down with mineral oil and you are good to go.
    "Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride"
    -H.S.T.

"Convenience can take over, it can be distracting, and it can make you lazy."
    -Grant Peterson

Adventures in Food and Eating

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HSTFixed View Post
    I use the Plastic ones when I'm cutting raw meats or poultry etc on my maple board because they're so easy to clean. All veggies etc get cut right on the board which lives on the counter next to the stove. Scrape clean or use a semi-damp sponge but always dry immediately and thoroughly and wipe down with mineral oil and you are good to go.
    This is how my mother in law does things, and she is a primo cook. We have a couple plastic boards for meat. The new cutting block would be for veg etc. only.
    We also have a tin tray that sits next to the boards and collects seeds, skins, stems, etc and get tossed once full, so you're not going back and forth to the trash can constantly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For a long-lasting, durable cutting board end-grain hard maple is the best. The wood is tight grained and consistent, all the squares add up to a lot of glue surface which builds a strong stable board. Bamboo is nice, but not domestic, and contains a lot of silica which dulls blades quickly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast