My name is Kevin Ostrom and I have been using Maxwell Cycles to brand a few of my frames. I am most definitely a hobby builder, but would eventually like to build frames for profit. I am not an industry cat - I have never worked in a bicycle shop and I have not had the opportunity to work for any frame builders. Through the old FF, and now VS, I have had the opportunity to learn a great many things from everyone here (thank you very much!!). I would not be at the place I am now without everyone’s help.

In 2007, I decided to pay up and take a UBI frame building course, with the hopes of this jump starting my frame building career. The course was extremely helpful, but after completion it became clear to me that this was just the beginning. Looking back I cannot believe how trouble free that first build was. I took my time, asked a great many questions, watched the skilled demonstrations, and left Oregon with a nice frame and fork. The instructors were mildly impressed – they recommended against an attempt to build a fillet brazed frame and build up a fork. The instructors were concerned that there would not be enough time to develop sufficient skills in 11 days. But the planets aligned and I managed to complete my project. The next 4 years have been spent trying to replicate that first frame building experience. As it turns out, it is easy to perform miracles when an experience person is there guiding you towards success!

That first frame served me very well, but only for a short time. It only survived 3 years and ~15,000 miles before it had to be retired. I attempted a repair, but after seeing a thread on VS about a similar problem that resulted in a catastrophic failure of a head tube, the decision was made to just start over. The two major flaws were poor technique and a thin head tube which resulted in an oval head tube.

To date 4 frames have been completed in my own space – 3 road bikes and one cyclocross. My wife rides one of the road bikes, a friend from work rides another and the last two I ride (a single speed 29er and a cyclocross). I am working on my new road bike and hope to have it completed in the next few weeks, but with my crazy work schedule and trying to keep the home life going, it will probably take longer.

The next 5 years will be spent working on my fabrication skills, building a brand, and striving to build a perfect bicycle. It will be a hard but rewarding journey – having fun will be a happy byproduct.

Kevin Maxwell Ostrom