Thread: Flared/tapered tubes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Flared/tapered tubes?

Hey ya'll,

Noticed that Deda offers these down tubes that are flared or tapered from 28.6 to 31.7 and 31.7 to 35mm. Anyone ever use these? If so, any comments on how the bike feels? I was also wondering if the 28.6/31.7 one could be used as a seat tube to help keep things light but make it a little beefier in the BB. Would the shape affect one's ability to clamp a front derailleur on? Stuff like that...

Thanks,
    Hansen

the freezing plains hard by lake michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Flared/tapered tubes?

I've used one as a downtube - not sure if most folks would notice the difference either visually or ridewise.
    To old to know better

www.cyclesnoir.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been using the Deda Pear to Penta down tube. I like it, but I am not a small guy at 210lbs and it seems to make a difference. I also like to use shaped tubes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Second best tubeset ever (after Columbus Max) is the Columbus EL/OS set with the 1.25 to 1.375 long tapered downtube (commonly known as the baseball bat). If you think Max is too stiff, EL/OS is your baby!

All the new tubesets try to mimic the ride qualities of these two and they generally fail. Just my opinion. I have others.
    "It's better to not know so much than to know so many things that ain't so." -- Josh Billings, 1885

A man with any character at all must have enemies and places he is not welcome—in the end we are not only defined by our friends, but also those aligned against us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Archibald View Post
    Just my opinion. I have others.
    Speaking of which...any news on your website?

I miss the days when I would (waste) kill hours in my cubicle on the old anvilbikes.com
    Anthony Maietta
    Web Site | Blog | Flickr
    "The person who says it can not be done, should not interrupt the person doing it."

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suhacycles View Post
    Hey ya'll,

Noticed that Deda offers these down tubes that are flared or tapered from 28.6 to 31.7 and 31.7 to 35mm. Anyone ever use these? If so, any comments on how the bike feels? I was also wondering if the 28.6/31.7 one could be used as a seat tube to help keep things light but make it a little beefier in the BB.
    i used these on every frame here for about an 8 year stretch and couldn't tell the difference.
    but they looked cool atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anthonymaietta View Post
    Speaking of which...any news on your website?

I miss the days when I would (waste) kill hours in my cubicle on the old anvilbikes.com
    Ah, the website. At this point I'm just about ready to hire somebody to do the whole thing. Pictures, words, layout, the works. My current goal is to have it done before the first of the year. My second goal is to have it done before NAHBS. I have others.
    "It's better to not know so much than to know so many things that ain't so." -- Josh Billings, 1885

A man with any character at all must have enemies and places he is not welcome—in the end we are not only defined by our friends, but also those aligned against us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    i used these on every frame here for about an 8 year stretch and couldn't tell the difference.
    but they looked cool atmo.
    Was that when you were using the Walter shells? I don't recall seeing any of your bikes with tapered DTs & STs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What E-Ritchie says. I have about four Prestige Helical tubes left from a few cases - just used one, they taper from a flattened 34/28mm down to around a 28/30mm ish ovalised cone. Great tube! Quad butted. no blems. Nobody ever noticed until I pointed out. I'll post it next week on FNL. - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Archibald View Post
    Was that when you were using the Walter shells? I don't recall seeing any of your bikes with tapered DTs & STs.
    yes - they all had tapered down tubes atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    yes - they all had tapered down tubes atmo.
    Rawesome!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the input gentlemen... sounds like if I want the beef I might as well just go with a full 35mm tube for the DT and/or 31.7 for the ST. BTW, for those who like using a 31.7 ST but don't like the limited options a Thomson rep recently informed me that they're shipping out the 30.6 seatposts in a couple months.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the input gentlemen... sounds like if I want the beef I might as well just go with a full 35mm tube for the DT and/or 31.7 for the ST. BTW, for those who like using a 31.7 ST but don't like the limited options a Thomson rep recently informed me that they're shipping out the 30.6 seatposts in a couple months.
    I read this on their blog a bit ago. 30.6 seatpost dia to for a 31.7 seat tube at 0.5 wall thickness. Way cool.
    Anthony Maietta
    Web Site | Blog | Flickr
    "The person who says it can not be done, should not interrupt the person doing it."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and if you are using lugs for sloping or level top tube you know where to get them
    Cheers Dazza
    The rock star is dying. And it's a small tragedy. Rock stars have blogs now. I have no use for that kind of rock star.
    Nick Cave

www.llewellynbikes.com
    The usual Facebook page
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/llewellyncustombicycles/
    Darrell Llewellyn McCulloch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by anthonymaietta View Post
    I read this on their blog a bit ago. 30.6 seatpost dia to for a 31.7 seat tube at 0.5 wall thickness. Way cool.
    the trouble is one has to allow for the more forward seat position these posts create, maybe 1 -1.5 degrees slacker seat angle compared to Campy/Shimano posts, I find that annoying and the cranked post version looks nasty to my eyes, just saying

there is a rumour about another manufacturer making 30.60 posts

besides the 30.6 Wound up and Kally 30.6 post I have here
    Cheers Dazza
    The rock star is dying. And it's a small tragedy. Rock stars have blogs now. I have no use for that kind of rock star.
    Nick Cave

www.llewellynbikes.com
    The usual Facebook page
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/llewellyncustombicycles/
    Darrell Llewellyn McCulloch