Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: Deep fried turkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default OT: Deep fried turkey

Anybody ever done this? Turkey feast is approaching, I'm very tempted to try this out this year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: OT: Deep fried turkey

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    Anybody ever done this? Turkey feast is approaching, I'm very tempted to try this out this year.
    Deep Frying should never be OT.

I've only ever consumed the delicious results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plenty of resources online, but a few tips that should not be overlooked.

Do it out in the yard, away from the house.
    Doing one before the big day is advised, just to work out the kinks of the process and make any changes to brining and flavoring that you want.
    Put the bird in the pot, cover it with water, take the bird out, mark the waterline. this is how much oil you put in. Be very wary of too much oil, as it will grow and is highly flammable if it goes over the side of the pot to the burner.
    Marinade isnt all that necessary as most of it will come off in the oil anyway. Brining is a good idea though to infuse the meat with salty sweet goodness.
    Have a checked fire extingusher in reach at all times. In gereral, be very careful about each step.

It sounds dangerous and like a lot of work, because it is. However, the results are totally worth it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had it once. It was pretty tasty. Better than normal turkey tasted at least.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do it every year. Very simple adventure really. The MOST important thing to do is make sure the turkey is dry, if not the oil WILL explode and create a very dangerous situation quickly. Pat it dry and cover the bird with Old Bay seasoning. Then dump the bird ( very slowly) into the oil and it should but not always float when it's done cooking.

Have fun and enjoy,
    Rick
    Friends don't let friends ride clinchers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as ^^^, absolutely make sure the bird is dry. Cannot be overstated.
    We have done this a few times and every time it is awesome. People are very impressed.
    Follow time limits very closely, I want to say like an hour or so and thats it.
    Couple of beers, cocktails whatever, done and done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alton Brown did a very good episode of Good Eats on the subject - lots of good safety info.
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah you won't be disappointed with the results here's a few other pointers and or reiterations:

1) Bird Volume estimation is hard, and overflowing oil is dangerous, use your noodle archimedes.

2) Having some sturdy leather gloves can buy you a few crucial seconds in the likely event that you need to grab something hot.

3) Other things to fry: potatoes, sweet potatoes, biscuits (from a can even), texas-style pies

4) Potatoes can be used to cool your oil down in the event that you overshoot.

5) Peanut oil can be expensive unless you get it in a bulk size, probably CostCo carries it, otherwise look for a restaurant supply

6) When wondering what else you can fry ask yourself, when are you next going to have a giant vat of oil? Then just do it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lemonlaug View Post
    Yeah you won't be disappointed with the results here's a few other pointers and or reiterations:

1) Bird Volume estimation is hard, and overflowing oil is dangerous, use your noodle archimedes.

2) Having some sturdy leather gloves can buy you a few crucial seconds in the likely event that you need to grab something hot.

3) Other things to fry: potatoes, sweet potatoes, biscuits (from a can even), texas-style pies

4) Potatoes can be used to cool your oil down in the event that you overshoot.

5) Peanut oil can be expensive unless you get it in a bulk size, probably CostCo carries it, otherwise look for a restaurant supply

6) When wondering what else you can fry ask yourself, when are you next going to have a giant vat of oil? Then just do it!
    Good advice above.

Only use peanut oil, it has a much higher flash point than vegetable oil. Have a fryathon. Keep the oil away from the house and in the open not under the patio. Use a thermometer.....Although it can be really hilarious ....if it's not at your house and the big pot of vegetable oil ignites on the patio.....have a lid handy..and if it flames it helps if the people standing around drinking beer are firemen... Have fun, it turns out a surprisingly moist and tasty bird.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Screw deep fried.

All of you that are within an hour and a half owe it to yourselves and your family to get one of the smoked turkeys from Holy Smokes in Turners Falls, MA.
    They used to have a full restaurant in an old church with a flying pig motif. Then some nutjob burnt the place down and all of a sudden a Masonic Lodge showed up on the old site.

That digression aside, they cook the best fucking meat I've ever had in my life. I've fed people their food and then watched their giddy and drunken meat high elevate them to the most exquisite levels of bliss.

I took a bunch of british magazine writers to the old place in Hatfield. That place is legendary in South Wales now. They sent a letter of condolence when the place burnt down even!

Fuck it, i'm going there right now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Fryathon is probably going to happen. Birds for us and the neighbors for sure. Other entries in the fried group as well, maybe some Okinawan sweet potato (purple inside) fries, andagi - an Okinawan style donut, taro chips, maybe some fried fish. One of our tday guests is a chef, so I'm sure that he will have ideas as well.

We may not be able to use peanut oil, as one of my friends has a nut allergy. If I had my choice, I would use macadamia nut oil, however it is frighteningly expensive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try it out a week ahead of time to iron out any problems that may arise on the actual Turkey Day. Don't want to end up with a neighborhood disaster on your hands, after all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I deep fry at least one turkey every year (sometimes 2 or 3 if the party is big enough). Here are the things I have learned:

I usually do not cook a turkey over 13lbs. A turkey over 13 lbs can turn out too dry. If you do use a larger turkey make sure that you pull it out of the fridge well before cook time to allow it to warm up.
    Make sure the turkey has been patted down dry - less issue when you put the bird in the oil.
    I usually pull the turkey out about 3 hour before to let it warm up a bit before putting in the oil.
    IF you are VERY careful with your heat control it is possible to use vegetable oil, but if this is your first time I would use the peanut oil (higher flash point).
    Heat the oil slowly so that you can get to 375 deg F. Make sure the temperature is stable before putting the bird in the oil.
    Once the bird is in the oil, the temperature will drop. Do not let the temperature drop below 310 deg F, and make sure that the temperature of the oil comes back up to 325 degF. You will need to play with the burner settings during that process.
    It should take about 3.5-4.0 min per lb to cook your turkey.

If you are feeling adventurous, make a nice brine for the turkey. My favorite is a maple brine, but you can use almost anything.

Kevin Ostrom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boss, I've had several that pals have done and it is very very good however the flattened and marinated turkeys I've been cooking on BBQ are better.
    Here is how I roll. Cut down one side of the backbone than press the the bird into a cutting board and break the breast bones and crack the leg and wing joints.
    Use your hands to make the sucker as flat as you can. Now marinate it in one of those lovely concoctions you've been chefing up and BBQ over indirect heat.
    I've been using oilve oil, your salt and a ton of fresh rosemary that I zing in a spice mill with peppercorns. Lots of salt!!! Comes out crispy and moist.

**Note this is working for 12 lbs birds.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 10-21-2010 at 08:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm also a fan of the fried turkey. The one thing to keep in mind if you prefer dripping gravy, you won't have drippings. I wind up roasting a breast and a pair of wings for drippings in addition to frying the turkey.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TT: that sounds really good, but my grill may have a leg of lamb on it at the time turkey cooking needs to be done. We will be having 20+ people over, so multiple meats are needed. I will save the flattened for another time for sure. Is your salt supply adequate?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only turkey advice I can give is to serve it hot, or at least warm. This applies equally to fried, baked, BBQ'd, smoked, whatever. Every year my aunt takes the turkey out of the oven, then starts everything else, so the turkey is stone cold by the time it gets served. Please, don't do this to your friends and family.

(This is as much me venting the frustrations of 15 years of cold turkey on Turkey day as real advice, thanks for listening)

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

done many times. what everyone says above, plus the following:

4 minutes to a pound is too long, closer to 3.5 (and less for bigger birds). it's hard to adjust your head to the timing, but I've never had one under-cooked, just over (and unlike in the over, where heat has to penetrate from the outside, the oil comes up inside the cavity--unless you got a turducken going).

long sleeved welding gloves (or "fireplace" gloves) help when lowering the bird in to avoid the burning splatter. no flip flops--the oil will splatter several feet around, so choose the cooking surface with that in mind

vegetable oil is fine, (they don't use peanut oil down at the chicken shack)--just keep your eye on temp. we usually go at 350

pretty traditional down here to do the cajun injector thing; don't know if you have access but basically a giant syringe filled with marinade (I don't care for the Italian dressing version, but the buttery hot sauce combos are ok); an ounce or so is poked deeply in each thigh, breast, etc. (the normal "under the skin" or surface marinades boil off instantly so have little effect)

do the oil volume measure trick substituting water and maybe underestimate a little (the ends of the legs that stick out will cook through anyway), and if you have room in your fridge, set the turkey on the hook mechanism upright in a big pan while you wait to get the show on the road--it's more effective than patting down for drying out the bird

you can re-use the oil if it doesn't get too burnt or off-flavor stuff

hush puppies are great as a substitute for a corn bread side if you're into that. try them with a little cayenne or chopped jalapeno in the batter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cp43 View Post
    The only turkey advice I can give is to serve it hot, or at least warm. This applies equally to fried, baked, BBQ'd, smoked, whatever. Every year my aunt takes the turkey out of the oven, then starts everything else, so the turkey is stone cold by the time it gets served. Please, don't do this to your friends and family.

(This is as much me venting the frustrations of 15 years of cold turkey on Turkey day as real advice, thanks for listening)

Chris
    good point, and the fried version goes so fast, that you really only need to start it an hour or so before serving time--45 minutes to cook a 12 pounder plus a 15 minute rest/oil drainage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You my friend clearly have this covered.
    I will add or add to a couple of things.
    youtube up some 'deep fried turkey' vids to scare the crap out of you
    whatever you do, do the donuts.
    If you do the fries or sweet potato fries heres the dips;
    garlic mayo; 1 tablespoon crushed garlic per cup of mayo (more garlic does not make this better)
    spicy frysauce; 1 tablespoon chili garlic paste (clear plastic bottle with green lid and white rooster) 1/2 cup catsup,1/2 cup mayo
    horseradish ketchup; 1 tablespoon per cup of ketchup

we will need a full report with pictures.
    Last edited by bellman; 10-21-2010 at 09:54 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast