Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: OT: Deep fried turkey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: OT: Deep fried turkey

1) Fried turkey is the only way to go. Not greasy, not dry. We haven't had anything else since we moved to the South 13 years ago. Done them at the house, tailgating, etc.

2) Peanut oil is best. It is good the first time you use it. It is better the second, third, fourth and fifth times you use it. After about five fries of full-size birds, it tends to start to go south, quality-wise. Nobody I know goes one-and-done with peanut oil because a) it's too expensive and b) because of what I said before.

3) Fried prime rib is also very good, for a Christmas alternative. I am not making this up.

4) Most important, don't get fancy. Just fry, and let your side dishes be fancy.

Mom: He was very sickly until he started riding around on that bicycle.

Dad: Yeah... well... now his body's fine, but his mind is gone.

-Breaking Away

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We use creamy vegetable shortening available from costco®. It gives the least unwanted flavors and my friend dan is allergic to peanuts.

duck is incredible fried. We still haven't done cornish hen, but I think we will this year. tofurky becomes an inedible block of solid nasty, and I like tofurky.

buffalo turkey-- one part butter. one part franks red hot. mix over heat, inject into every part of teh bird wit big needles.
    I write for daily serving

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    Anybody ever done this? Turkey feast is approaching, I'm very tempted to try this out this year.
    Have you tried doing a turkey imu style? Kalua turkey sounds really good to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do know someone who does a community imu for thanksgiving. I'm not sure that there would be room to get a turkey in. A smaller cut of meat, for sure. As far as doing it myself, I dont have the skill or time to dig one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, it's probably delicious, but are people really ruining the turkey when they roast it in the oven? I've had dry turkey in this world, sure, but it's not that hard to get a fresh bird, brine it, and roast it so that it's not tough or dry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dang View Post
    OK, it's probably delicious, but are people really ruining the turkey when they roast it in the oven? I've had dry turkey in this world, sure, but it's not that hard to get a fresh bird, brine it, and roast it so that it's not tough or dry.
    so easy (forget the brine) and sure to deliver a moist meal ---> Poached and Roasted Turkey in the Style of Bresse

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123