Thread: Dornbox Bicycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Dornbox Bicycles

Quote Originally Posted by edoz View Post
    Hey Chris, it was cool finally meeting you (even briefly) in Austin. That is a nice looking bike you had there and hopefully I will have more time to chat with you next year.
    Edoz! Sorry that we didn't get a chance to grab a beer or a taco. It was cool to finally meet though and I was glad to see you sorted out your electrical issues with that war wagon. Thanks for the kind words and If I don't see you before then, NAHBS 2012!

Quote Originally Posted by EddieBirdsell View Post
    Dude, that is one heavy beer!

I'm ready. Let me get my stuff in order and I might try to execute this one, or something similar.

Your brew knowledge is impressive.
    Like I said it was a little off the cuff but I can throw down a hop schedule and yeast strain too if you'd like...? I do tend to error on the big side as there's just to many great beers that are hovering between 8% and 10%. If I'm going to brew I usually shoot for the moon and let them quell in my basement for a year or two, much like wine. I do have a stellar 5% stout that I call a seven layer chocolate cake (show winner) and a decent Belgian Farm House if you're looking for something a little more tame. OH! and if you use the bugs... use some oak. I think it's mandated by the box's purity law or something like that. I'll be having a kegger in the new shop this summer once she's up and running. When are you coming up to Maine?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by edoz View Post
    Hey Chris, it was cool finally meeting you (even briefly) in Austin. That is a nice looking bike you had there and hopefully I will have more time to chat with you next year.
    Edoz! Sorry that we didn't get a chance to grab a beer or a taco. It was cool to finally meet though and I was glad to see you sorted out your electrical issues with that war wagon. Thanks for the kind words and If I don't see you before then, NAHBS 2012!

Dude, that is one heavy beer!

I'm ready. Let me get my stuff in order and I might try to execute this one, or something similar.

Your brew knowledge is impressive.
    Like I said it was a little off the cuff but I can throw down a hop schedule and yeast strain too if you'd like...? I do tend to error on the big side as there's just to many great beers that are hovering between 8% and 10%. If I'm going to brew I usually shoot for the moon and let them quell in my basement for a year or two, much like wine. I do have a stellar 5% stout that I call a seven layer chocolate cake (show winner) and a decent Belgian Farm House if you're looking for something a little more tame. OH! and if you use the bugs... use some oak. I think it's mandated by the box's purity law or something like that. I'll be having a kegger in the new shop this summer once she's up and running. When are you coming up to Maine?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chris, great to meet you. I hope we can go for a shred together someday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WTF this beer? Why wasn't there any of this recipe at Austin? Not like yall flew in! That effing does it. I'm going to take advantage of my buddies' brew equipment and run a batch or two this year. It's been a long long time and home brewing has really matured since then-and now I have two well-equipped bros to lean on. One of them was my original brewing partner-he's a stainless steel hoarder (and of course I'll jump at the opportunity to modify some ss with the torch-for the common good yo). Chris, you make #3 and my first online reference point, all due respect and honorable mention to EddieB (who has been to shows with bottles he filled).

Super meeting ya, seeing your stuff, and thanks to you and Wade2 for the ride Sunday night...the night went much longer.

WP
    Last edited by WadePatton; 03-05-2011 at 11:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dornbox View Post
    Go big or stay at home man. I did an imperial two weeks ago (based in part on a recipe from Cookietruck) that hit 1.080 OG and is still burping at 15 second intervals two weeks later.

The farm house would really thrill the lady.

Maine might happen in early June. We'll be over in Gary Smith territory and it should only be a couple of hours. Plus, I don't really like working anyway.

Please keep us posted on the kegger. You find a house yet? Which state? :)

Quote Originally Posted by WadePatton View Post
    WTF this beer? Why wasn't there any of this recipe at Austin? Not like yall flew in! That effing does it. I'm going to take advantage of my buddies' brew equipment and run a batch or two this year. It's been a long long time and home brewing has really matured since then-and now I have two well-equipped bros to lean on. One of them was my original brewing partner-he's a stainless steel hoarder (and of course I'll jump at the opportunity to modify some ss with the torch-for the common good yo). Chris, you make #3 and my first online reference point, all due respect and honorable mention to EddieB (who has been to shows with bottles he filled).

Super meeting ya, seeing your stuff, and thanks to you and Wade2 for the ride Sunday night...the night went much longer.

WP
    Yo Wade - sorry we didn't get to hang more in Austin. We need to catch up again soon. On Thurs. night I bottled a reenactment (har har) of that Grapefruit Pale Ale I had in Richmond, although I went with a bit more hop and grapefruit this time.

I plan to live out of car and drive around aimlessly for at least part of the summer. Maybe we can sneak a brew in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WadePatton View Post

WP
    Beer is in my veins... literally, I'm drinking some Russian River supplication as we speak! You guy were on fire Sunday night and really made me wish we had stayed the night with ya'll. I see round two in our future. Thanks again buddy!

Go big or stay at home man. I did an imperial two weeks ago (based in part on a recipe from Cookietruck) that hit 1.080 OG and is still burping at 15 second intervals two weeks later.

The farm house would really thrill the lady.

Maine might happen in early June. We'll be over in Gary Smith territory and it should only be a couple of hours. Plus, I don't really like working anyway.

Please keep us posted on the kegger. You find a house yet? Which state? :)
    Just put an offer in on our new house with a big ol shop (around 28 x 24 or larger with 12ft ceilings). It abuts a gas line easement so we have a xc ski highway in the winter and a dirt highway to Bradbury Mountain and Pineland in the summer. Plus it's off of some of my favorite road loops, HEAVEN! If we get'er you're more than welcome to drop in. We should be in at some point in May if all goes well.
    Last edited by Dornbox; 03-06-2011 at 06:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First time grabbing the torch in three weeks. Not too bad. Now I've got to catch up from Austin.

IMG_2582 by DORNBOX, on Flickr

Hand bent love with well over 3" of muddylicious clearance.

IMG_2632 by DORNBOX, on Flickr

Somethings are just way faster and often more accurate than doing them on a computer. Even with years of education and experience.

IMG_2636 by DORNBOX, on Flickr

The mornings tasks accomplished.

IMG_2642 by DORNBOX, on Flickr
    Last edited by Dornbox; 03-06-2011 at 06:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check it out! bikeradar interview:

Last edited by Dornbox; 03-09-2011 at 08:57 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice job with your interview Chris! Here's a question. I was a stay home dad at one time, and trying to run an art business. How do you structure your time? You have nap time, but then you're full on with the little one until mom comes home right? Do you have to take time away from the wife to go build in the evening? It's a tough way to go, and I admire any dad who stays home with the little ones.
    Craig

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Ryan View Post
    Nice job with your interview Chris! Here's a question. I was a stay home dad at one time, and trying to run an art business. How do you structure your time? You have nap time, but then you're full on with the little one until mom comes home right? Do you have to take time away from the wife to go build in the evening? It's a tough way to go, and I admire any dad who stays home with the little ones.
    Craig
    Craig,

Thanks for the query and thanks for the admiration as I share your sentiments. For a while it was really easy, my son slept... a lot and I was able to spend a ton of time in the shop. Over the past few months however, he's been sleeping less and less which really pushed me into nights and weekends in the shop. I wouldn't trade the opportunity as I really do feel fortunate to have the have it. With that said, we are currently in the middle of purchasing a new place back in Maine near grandma and grandpa so that I can have a little more time in my shop and a little more quality time with the wife. I'll probably go down to two to three days a week with the lad. Nights and weekends will still be the norm but on a much less demanding frequency. We've moved around the US a bunch looking for the perfect place but I think in the end we've come to the conclusion that family really helps to make a place "perfect" more so than the climate especially when you have little ones.

You said you were a stay at home dad, what was the verdict with that? New venture, your child grow up, or did you have to compromise much like myself?

Sorry for the lag in response time but as of late, I've been shopping for houses and shop space in Maine. The good news is that it looks like we'll be back in a few weeks and the new home and shop are killer!!!! Very excited on both fronts.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Last edited by Dornbox; 03-14-2011 at 01:12 PM. Reason: typo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I feel for you, it is tough structuring time. Being near family will really help you, and your wife, out. My best advise is to not push it, go with the flow and do what you can. You want to keep the little one safe, and you also want some quality time with your wife. It's tough on her if you go work every evening. When I did it, it was 1986, so I'm long past those considerations. Hang in there and remember these times, they are the good ones.
    Craig

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Ryan View Post
    Hang in there and remember these times, they are the good ones.
    Craig
    Thanks Craig! A Positive vibe is always welcome especially coming from someone whose been there.-Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speed McQueen, more than just another pretty face!

The verdict:

Hi Chris,

Wow, what a day for a nice leisurely glide through rolling horse farm country. EVERYBODY should be on two wheels today, and I'm glad I could be out there!

I love it, no question this bike was made for me. It seems to propel itself on all but the steepest hills. Here are my observations:
    I use far less pushing power to get moving, I continuously found myself double-checking my cogs and chain rings because I kept thinking I was in too light a gear.
    The bike accelerates very quickly when I stand up for a quick burst of speed. I recall one intersection where an oncoming driver waived me through. Two pedal strokes and I was out of sight.
    The SRAM drive train jumps into gear with an authoritative "snap". Yeah, it's a tiny bit more finger effort than the Shimano, but it's shifts are precise.
    There is a clearly different feel when corning compared to my Giant TCR. While I can dive tightly into corners with my twitchy Giant, the Speed McQeen glides in a graceful arc. The slightly longer wheelbase causes far less "wandering" during long straight-aways on my part.
    Roads that I recall as rough and rumbly on the Giant offer far less vibration on the McQueen. The steel is buttery, and absorbs much of the road imperfections.
    I spend much more time down in the drops than I am used to doing on the Giant (when I'm not riding hard that is). The McQueen is more comfortable due to its less aggressive geometry, and when I was up on the hoods I felt like I was sitting up nice and high with a clear view of the landscape. This is where I can feel the big difference with custom fitting.
    The jury is still out with the saddle and seat post. The Brooks is like sitting on polished marble right now, but I know that will change in time. No big deal. It's just that it is SO smooth, that my butt tends to slide back and forth with every pedal stroke. It will take a while to decide whether the seat's forward positioning is correct or not. It did not feel uncomfortable, but I have yet to settle into a "sweet spot".
    I don't think I used the biggest cog at all today. There were two short, but steep hills that I normally shift way down. Today, I looked down only to find myself about three gears from the top. Plenty on room for easier going on the big mountains!
    This bike is damn light.
    Well, I hope I can get in another ride this weekend to help me dial in a few minor adjustments. I have yet to mount my Garmin or my red blinky light. Also, I donated a pint of blood yesterday so my ability to push hard will be compromised for a couple more days. In any case, I'm hoping to try another route that takes me up a couple longer hills, to help me get the feel of downshifting the Force drive train. So, the verdict right now, is the bike is great. I love it, and I definitely made the right choice.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks Chris.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Running test welds today (one on the left) next to older (one on the right) welds so I can compare their aesthetics. I'm constantly striving to get my welds flatter and flatter while maintaining structural integrity.

Old / New 2 by DORNBOX, on Flickr

In this light you can see how flat the newer weld really is as the colors of the weld are washed visually out.

Old / New 3 by DORNBOX, on Flickr

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

these exercises will pay dividends down the road atmo. i can't begin to count the number of mock
    sub assemblies i'd burn through trying to dial a procedure. and i continue the practice to this very day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    these exercises will pay dividends down the road atmo. i can't begin to count the number of mock
    sub assemblies i'd burn through trying to dial a procedure. and i continue the practice to this very day.

Thanks ATMO! I do find it surprising... how much effort it takes to actually make myself practice when I just want to go out to the shop and build bikes. In the end though, It's certainly paying off and judging by your success it's worked out well for you too!

Thanks again for the great words!
    C

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So Sexy! I've got a few bikes off to paint now and can't wait to get them back. This bad boy is an XC racer and will be sporting an angry version the Team BlackBOX livery. We've currently call her RYFO which translates to RIP Yo Face Off!

So Sexy by DORNBOX, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's official! As of 4-23-2011 DORNBOX will be back to Cumberland Maine in a nice shinny new big shop... well big to me! Trails and road riding right from the property! Very exciting times, keep an eye out for our house warming party with free beer sure to be coming soon!

Also a big thanks to my wonderful wife for her role in all of this as well as for carrying our baby girl due later this summer (no 2011 CX season for the wife, sorry dear) ! I love you B and thanks for being my uber partner and wife!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats all around man! Best to you, B, F, and the to-be-named.

Exciting stuff - see you in Maine. Keep us posted on the party.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dornbox View Post
    So Sexy! I've got a few bikes off to paint now and can't wait to get them back. This bad boy is an XC racer and will be sporting an angry version the Team BlackBOX livery. We've currently call her RYFO which translates to RIP Yo Face Off!

So Sexy by DORNBOX, on Flickr
    Is this the frame that Wade had at the Cycle Design booth?
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast