Quote Originally Posted by rydesteel View Post
Richie, How long do you keep records? All the way back to the beginning? My family has owned a small construction company for 20 years and finally had to start purging files because of changes in manufactures supplies, ie colors and styles have been discontinued do to companies merging folding ect, and the huge volume of paperwork associated with it. We keep the prior 7 years paperwork and purge the rest knowing that a color match for the siding, shingles is not possible. As a sole Owner-Operator it would seem to be a rather daunting task to keep files going back to the beginning. Thanks,

Frank

P.S.
Is the rider of the damaged frame ok? That frame looks like it hit something hard, and it wasn't JRA on a car top was it, someone took a pretty hard spill. Hope all are ok.
i have all the orders and inquiries going back to day one. recently, i jettisoned all of the bank statements, canceled checks, and lots of other baggage that i grew tired of archiving. even the records kept are tiring, and they're boring atmo. i have always felt that i keep them so that, one day in the far off future, i could answer a question someone might have about something i once did, and feel all smug and shit that i had the presence of mind to save everything and have the correct data at hand. the information, the sheer mass of the paper, and the importance placed on the past is a prison, and i don't say stuff like that for effect. all of it is an exercise in self-indulgence, and i certainly don't need help with that atmo.