User Tag List

Page 87 of 103 FirstFirst ... 777879808182838485868788899091929394959697 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,740 of 2051

Thread: Richard Sachs Cycles

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Richard Sachs Cycles

All of it revolves around elegance. You want the lugs thinned a bit. Eliminate high and low spots. Make sure the flow is complete from top to bottom from side to side from front to back and that the same intention spreads to each lug so the job is the sum rather than the parts.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To a pile of tube and lugs, this is what content looks like. No hyperbole. No self-adoration. Or links to other links with links.

Real content has meaning. Just enough to fill the empty spaces. And not a word or a phrase extra. And certainly no hashtags.

All This By Hand

A5E6E4A1-3160-491F-B828-285DB0DB84EA.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2020 Vision
    A four hour day. Most of it within the quiet of Cockeponsett. Where I disappear on roads yet still see myself. But not what I’m riding towards. What a year (so far.)

2020 Hindsight
    A four hour day. Most of it within the quiet of Cockeponsett. Where I disappear on roads yet still see myself. But not what I’m riding from. What a year (so far.)

2020 Juggling
    A four hour day. Paying attention to what's ahead. Aware of what's behind. To balance with such ease. Yet to realize balance is what's missing. What a year (so far.)

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Pins

‘Cross is coming. But the Richard Sachs Cyclocross Team is sitting this season out.

In light of the health risks related to COVID-19, RSCX will stay off the parcours in 2020. Even if racing does return this autumn, we won’t. This was a difficult decision to make, and I deliberated on it for most of the spring. It’s the right choice.

We’ve been looking forward to what was going to be a rebuilding season. Several new riders. A change in management. And of course, new colors, kits, and bicycles.

Since February, House Industries has been working on our annual style changes for graphics and apparel. I have a motherlode of garments in the process of being printed and sewn. And there are 15 team frames at the paint shop. I‘ll figure out what to do with these later. In the wide picture, none of it matters.

Many things do matter in 2020 but cyclocross isn’t on the list. As a team, we’ll do our best to be good citizens of the world, and continue as ambassadors for cycling. Competition, and pinning on numbers, can wait.

I want to thank the folks at House Industries, as well as simplehuman, RADIX, The Chiu Family, Rajanaka Yoga, and TEXmarket USA for their support. These thanks are extended to industry partners Cole Wheels, Challenge Tires, Stages Cycling, Giro Sport Design, Connex Chain, and Crankbrothers.

RSCX is a direct descendant of the club system that defined bicycle racing when it found me. Started as CYBC (Connecticut Yankee Bicycle Club) in the late 1960s, I entered the fold in 1973. In 1981 my business became the title sponsor. A road-centric group for many decades, I made the decision to veer over to cyclocross in the middle 1990s. As a family of brands we’ve been on the playing field for the last 39 years. The streak ends now.

Stay healthy. Look after others. Be kind. Vote. And never fucking relent.

See you next year.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    Vote.
    For the love of whatever you stand for, please vote.
    Rick

If the process is more important than the result, you play. If the result is more important than the process, you work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was an idea that percolated and taunted me for years. And then one day I just walked up to the bench and did it.

In my forth quarter I’m deconstructing as much as I can in an effort to pare down everything that isn’t essential.

The B.I.F.I.™ rears became a thing in 2018, but only after years of study. Now the matching fronts are a thing too.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New nickname for your XC team, e-R... Les Bleus.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saturday. Five hours. My first two bottle day. And one pack of Clif Bar Bloks In strawberry. Love these. They’re like Chuckles but without the colors. I think Chuckles would be a better snack to grab but with the plague, social distancing, and shopping with masks, it’s easier for me to stock up using my QBP account.

Rode up to Haddam and across the river. Did some climbing in Moodus and environs. I love that word, environs. It’s not used enough in daily conversation. I just used it twice. Environs. Three times. Some of the backcountry around Moodus is a bit spooky. It reminds me of the death marches I did in Franklin County.

There are pockets of wilderness east and north of here that take me away. Abandoned summer camps. Hard scrabble farms in abundance. That’s also a word (abundance) that needs more airtime. An hour of pedaling from my driveway and I’m in another world. By car it could be a third the time. And I wouldn’t need the bottles.

These are the days I come home drained. Empty. Feeling alive as well as dead, but more alive than dead. That much pleases me. Riding this year, especially since the plague thing, but particularly because I decided to leave racing after 2019 - riding this year is like my own personal Summer of ‘42. Each time feels like my very first.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What were you doing in 1979?
    I was getting ready to make this.
    The 394th RS branded frame.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And when they’re not in my hand, pushing and pulling metal into different shapes, or playing hide and seek (especially the small sinewy ones), the little tools sit on my bench, wait patiently for their next moment, and watch my life go by.

And just like the people who make and sell, and even use these, they come and they go. They arrive with an edge, but eventually get old and become dull. It’s not much different for us. We want to stay sharp and useful, and not be replaced.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another five yesterday. And for most of the summer my fascination with the back (way, WAY back) roads across the river continues. Moodus and parts of East Haddam call my name. I open up Google Maps before I leave the driveway, and look for places to get lost in.

For those following, I’m trying to connect loops I know but stay off any state roads. If it has a number, I avoid it. If the word “hill” is in the name, I’m there. Lack of pavement? Yes, come to papa. And I’m sure many of these places lack cell service.

Here are some new gems to consider. And they’re all within the two towns mentioned above. Stockburger Road. Desmond Road. Bogue Lane. Juda Lane. Old Orchard Road. Sims Road. Silas Holmes Road. Bone Mill Road. Okay - go out and get some.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What size tires you running there Richard?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Moke View Post
    What size tires you running there Richard?
    Back and forth between Paris Roubaix (28mm) and Strada Bianca (30mm).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And in a heartbeat, we’re done. My last ‘cross bicycle, off to a new home half a globe away. With it goes my two sets of racing wheels along with a metric shit ton of Force 10 new and used spares I hoarded so I’d never be without. Alas.

My first CX season was 2002. I’m a roadie by practice. Everything that ever pulled me further into the trade came from the road side. By the middle nineties my head was straying. That’s when my sponsorship dollars were still evenly split.

It took me a few years to draw the shades, but by Y2K they were down. All my efforts would be thrown at the fall season. And eventually I’d pin on numbers too. It didn’t come easy. At times it was ugly. But I found my lines by 2005.

I raced a lot of cyclocross. But really, I raced because that’s what RSCX does. There’s a direct link back to my time in London where and when the sport was real. My heart stopped when I saw EDV win his seventh W.C. at Crystal Palace.

My last start was DCCX in October 2019. I knew the tank wasn’t just empty, it wasn’t even attached. I don’t and can’t race “just for fun.” When I was no longer able to start on the first row, or near it, or make an impact, it was time.

‘Cross was always a mistress. The woman who stands three feet away. The one I’ll never figure out much less know as intimately as I do in my fantasies. It’s a part of cycling I never mastered. I leave wondering if I tried hard enough.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

May the Campy be with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pal, it's time to find your inner Rene. Just enjoy the simple and profound pleasure of leveraging your body forward, and be pleasantly gob-struck when you find yourself very far from home, but yet always at home.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It can be hard to see one's reality, or to move on. Good job on both the participation and the decision. Andy
    Andy Stewart
    10%

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m riding a lot this year. So much so that anything less than three hours almost seems like a mail run. That sounds terrible, and it’s so wrong. But most of my days on the bicycle in 2020 have been long ones.

I’m mixing up the routine. Some days it’s across the river and north. Some days I stay closer to the Sound. Today I connected some of my ‘90s loops around Lyme and Salem. I have to ride an hour from my driveway to get there.

Roads like Grassy Hill, Beaver Brook, Gungy, and Blood Street after I’ve already pedaled some to get across the Baldwin Bridge - it’s quite the hike. But once the second hour kicks in, I’m at the front steps of the endorphinage.

I’ve joined The Slow Bicycle Movement™. I haven’t completely let go of the fact that riding and fitness can commingle at times. My interests now include looking around (and forward) rather than caring about what cog I’m in.

All This By Hand

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a nice fella down there in your orbit who can build a smart machine for you if you ask nicely and then kick him in the chestnuts. His machine will allow you to expand your saddle time beyond your five hour window, and not have to put a foot down. The only downside will be an indiscriminate, and uncontrollable urge to speak French. You will begin to cross-pollinate with other like minded individuals who wear French berets on a Saturday in October and discuss such esoteric topics like low trail, riding through rainstorms for five days straight as you marvel at the water cascading from beneath your Honjo fenders. You will become fascinated by generators, wires and lights, scrum with neophytes over front loads versus rear loads, and you will engage in these discussions with a straight face. I've seen this happen to others. It has happened to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WFSTEKL View Post
    There is a nice fella down there in your orbit who can build a smart machine for you if you ask nicely and then kick him in the chestnuts. His machine will allow you to expand your saddle time beyond your five hour window, and not have to put a foot down. The only downside will be an indiscriminate, and uncontrollable urge to speak French. You will begin to cross-pollinate with other like minded individuals who wear French berets on a Saturday in October and discuss such esoteric topics like low trail, riding through rainstorms for five days straight as you marvel at the water cascading from beneath your Honjo fenders. You will become fascinated by generators, wires and lights, scrum with neophytes over front loads versus rear loads, and you will engage in these discussions with a straight face. I've seen this happen to others. It has happened to me.

Plane and Simple