User Tag List

Page 5 of 103 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Richard Sachs Cycles

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Richard Sachs Cycles

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    Fixed it for you.

I understand, and deeply appreciate, your monomaniacal commitment to building the same frame over and over again.
    i've never built the same frame twice.
    if i do, if i could, my focus might shift atmo.
    Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    But do you ever lift your head and think, "I'd like to dive into TIG..." or something even farther afield, either to master a second discipline or merely to dabble?
    i don't want to be the person i might dream about being atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have a website-in-transition and we're trying to get all the articles pasted up.
    here's one from late 2009 that i enjoyed.

new site
    articles
    interviews

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it was Circa 1991 when I noticed some adverts in Velonews that were from a frame builder that got my attention
    they were a of a different approach, more about what he did and why, rather than just the brand name.
    I was into my second year of being an independent bespoke builder (part time)
    I wrote to the builder as if an interested customer, he sent me his order form and two fold brochure (I still have them some where here)
    These events taught me a lot. (he was not aware of this at the time)
    I copied his brochure style, but made mine three fold ( I cannot put my hands to these at the moment) and my order form was similar (look familiar Richie?)
    hey , I was 27 years old, on the other side of the planet and we lived in frame building isolation in Brisbane Australia.
    12 years later I got an email from Richard, I was very surprised and pleased, he expressed encouragement and mentioned I have some "familiar words on my website" I had a good grief moment, as I had plagiarised some of his text. In my defense I said I was doing this www.stufff the first time at night after my full working day (had just gone full time after many years of part time builder) and it was to be rewritten blah blah. I was horrified, terribly embarrassed, the guts fell out of me, I had forgotten all about the text and set about changing it. Richard said he was all cool with it, but I wanted it changed. I hate short cuts and writing text does not come easily for me.
    My sweet heart Mary Ann is working on the new website and soon I will be writing new text, so 10 years later that original revised www text will be replaced.
    So that was my first personal interaction with Richard.
    Richard shares, gives his time to many
    and tells it as it is from his window
    his view
    he has persevered in times when steel tube frame building was up heaved and he has come out the other end of this better than ever
    he has done it all his way, and I respect that.
    Good on ya (as we say down here)
    It has been a pleasure to visit Richard and Deb a few times that I could manage in my OS trips to Cirque, NAHBS and to their home. The sharing of a lot of good frame building knowledge between other builders has been assisted by Richard, this is never to be underestimated. This info works both ways and builders take and use that they need.
    "understanding one's own message" regards the frame builder is what I think is Richard's most important message to other builders.
    Bravo
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers Dazza
    The rock star is dying. And it's a small tragedy. Rock stars have blogs now. I have no use for that kind of rock star.
    Nick Cave

www.llewellynbikes.com
    The usual Facebook page
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/llewellyncustombicycles/
    Darrell Llewellyn McCulloch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Richard,

I don't really have a question, I just wanted to say thanks......

I have said it before, but it warrants repeating here....I think that the legacy that you have created and the visibility that you have brought and continue to bring to the small builder and this nitch is beyond commendable. We have ALL benefited from your efforts in ways that are immeasurable, and I, for one, owe you a debt of gratitude.

Sincerely,

Dave

PS: If you ever do get around to redesigning your lugs for larger tubes...a set for standard oversized tubes and a 36mm HT would be great!
    Dave Anderson
    Anderson Custom Bicycles
    www.andersoncustombicycles.com
    ACB on Facebook
    ACB on flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As Dazza says, we've all appropriated. I can't begin to come up with all the snidbits which have shaped my development. I've even begun taking it into my classes at school; appropriation as a theme and topic for my students producing art. A quote of your's which rings true with me;

"no one here, or at nahbs, or ever before in the history of framebuilding, can do what you
    do or knows what you know. you have a franchise on your own life and its path. you know
    what's in there (finger points to temple) not only more than anyone else - no one else has
    a clue what's there. and that's meant as a compliment. and any name with a torch can be
    subbed in where steve c's is here. what you have is your gift. use it atmo."

I find it interesting that when answering a question anyone might pose about building a frame, or fitting a frame, or whatever, you respond with very few words. And those words are always a notch up from the answer which might have been purely about the building or fitting. Hard to explain, but I'm sure there are a lot of people who know exactly what I mean. As a student it can be very frustrating, because it puts the weight back onto the student and forces them to do the work. Richard, I really think you might have been a great teacher. And I mean that as the highest compliment I could give; I take teaching seriously.
    Last edited by Craig Ryan; 10-06-2010 at 08:10 PM. Reason: sp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Ryan View Post
    o.p. snipped for space saving reasons...
    thanks, craig atmo.
    i needed a refresher so i googled my text and here's the mother lode -

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    thoughts?

only steve c is steve c atmo.

no one here, or at nahbs, or ever before in the history of framebuilding, can do what you
    do or knows what you know. you have a franchise on your own life and its path. you know
    what's in there (finger points to temple) not only more than anyone else - no one else has
    a clue what's there. and that's meant as a compliment. and any name with a torch can be
    subbed in where steve c's is here. what you have is your gift. use it.

you want more? you wanna have the clients who are shopping for and paying big bucks for
    crap from intergalactic two wheeled sports unlimited incorporated? then serve up what you
    have and do it in spades. infect as many people with your enthusiasm as you may need to
    feel comfortable with the demand for your frames. period.

no org, and no campaign, and no us versus them and steel rocks and imported crap sucks
    marketing slogans will be doing anything for you that you can't do for yourself with your own
    tools, experiences, and intellect.
    Last edited by e-RICHIE; 02-17-2017 at 07:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Ryan View Post
    appropriation as a theme and topic for my students producing art.
    ps a gem from the sunday zine at the nyt atmo -

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

richie:

your responses to so many -- like .."i don't want to be the person i might dream abut being" --- carries me back to "airplane 1980" and rex kramer's response to flying a airplane -- "no different than riding a bicycle, just harder to put playing cards in the wheel spokes.."

i ama luvin this, with a gasping / grasping mind ...
    Jehovah forbid, but if i never rode a bike again -- velo/smoked out & all of you -- so many thanks,

ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Riccardo ,
    solo per dirti che sei fantastico , leggerti è un piacere .
    Grazie .
    Dario

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

solo per dirti che sei fantastico , leggerti è un piacere = Just to tell you you're fantastic, reading is a pleasure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

e-R-
    Much love and happiness to you.
    I don't have any questions about frame building- 'cuz I don't want to build 'em, just race 'em. Plus as a (wise) consumer I know once i select a builder that is my cue to set the phone down and walk away.
    With no questions I will just add commentary
    I have appreciated your transparency. Knowledge. Experience. Self adsorbed manner, and friendly email exchanges.
    Continued success to you and the RS Mafia.
    Thank you for exposing us; the unwashed to the inner workings of the effbuilders. Reading everyone's story is insightful and encouraging. Plus it helps me realize by seeing how F'd up you all are, the more normal I feel!
    Roll strong!

-Justin
    "make the break"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chance Legstrong View Post
    e-R-
    Much love and happiness to you.
    I don't have any questions about frame building- 'cuz I don't want to build 'em, just race 'em. Plus as a (wise) consumer I know once i select a builder that is my cue to set the phone down and walk away.
    alas - thanks for that. if it all ended at noon, i'd feel like at least one person got it atmo.
    With no questions I will just add commentary
    I have appreciated your transparency. Knowledge. Experience. Self adsorbed manner, and friendly email exchanges.
    Continued success to you and the RS Mafia.
    providence should be scared, very scared atmo.
    Thank you for exposing us; the unwashed to the inner workings of the effbuilders. Reading everyone's story is insightful and encouraging. Plus it helps me realize by seeing how F'd up you all are, the more normal I feel!
    Roll strong!

-Justin
    thanks.
    i had no intention at all of doing this as i host this board and have been beating trees to get
    cats to man up and follow PCW. weird, but of all the 150 plus names that are registered here
    to post on the frame board, no one would go next. tuesday a.m. i started this thread as as
    bridge to whatever comes next because i also threatened the alums that, without any more
    candidates getting vocal, i'd lock Smoked Out and consider it a mild beta success. these
    guys all know my policy: they can agree to out themselves here and give back a little telai
    love to the community, or i can hassle their asses until the end of time as we now measure it.
    so far, one guy has sent a text atmo. so, Smoked Out has a future. is this clear? crystal clear...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for sharing all your files and filings and file marks and such. I'll be back with a question soon, just wanted to share some RS propaganda that has found it's way to the shop.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tommy Nash; 10-07-2010 at 04:49 PM.
    Baltimore Bicycle Works

FLICKR

Natty Boh and Lonestar Enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That poster is cool, and I pretty much feel that. However, that last paragraph seems kind cold to me. I can't help but feel a bit attached to the frames that have left my shop, I do care what happens to them. I want them to be ridden and enjoyed, not collecting dust or rusting away in a pile. Maybe that'll fade as I put out 20, 40, 100s, but for now I love what I build and want to know that it's appreciated. Did you ever feel that way? Have you ever at some point early on had a useless emotional attachment to your product?
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by edoz View Post
    That poster is cool, and I pretty much feel that. However, that last paragraph seems kind cold to me. I can't help but feel a bit attached to the frames that have left my shop, I do care what happens to them. I want them to be ridden and enjoyed, not collecting dust or rusting away in a pile. Maybe that'll fade as I put out 20, 40, 100s, but for now I love what I build and want to know that it's appreciated. Did you ever feel that way? Have you ever at some point early on had a useless emotional attachment to your product?
    a useless emotional attachment?
    well, i am sure you didn't mean that, but - no, they're just things and the only one that ever drives me is the next one atmo.
    i live with each one for almost a week. and conceptually i live with each one for at least as long as it's been a piece of paper.
    perhaps the clients are attached to them, or maybe they're not. it really wouldn't affect what i do at the bench. once i make
    them, they're gone, and i start from the beginning again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by edoz View Post
    God, grant me the serenity: To accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.

Also, read about the concept of detachment as it applies to Buddhism, as I think that is more akin to where RS is coming from.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

here's a letter i wrote to my mom. as an 18 y.o. in london who sidetracked a college
    entrance for a quick adventure, i realized that there might in fact be something to
    this frame thing atmo. after a half year there, i imagined a life in all this. the note
    is to mom about setting the table for whatever would come next. i was in england
    on my own, working for free, and lived with the witcombs. the other boy i mention
    is peter. i guess i was wrong about his ling term interest in the trade. we've remained
    great pals ever since we met in deptford atmo. ps i wonder if i could get anything for
    this since it does have my autograph. hmmm...

h

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Richard,

I have got to say that Smoked Out has become one of the highlights of the internet bicycle world. The stuff on here lately Craig (jerk), Craig Ryan, Garro, Tom Kellogg, Kirk, etc.... is just great. So many folks coming to this from different backgrounds and pathways, but all seeming to want to build the best bicycle frame possible.

Thanks for making this possible and for putting your atmo stamp on the section. I really have enjoyed this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

all of us there benefited from the ongoing support of walter annenberg. years after i graduated, he and i linked
    via a letter or three exchanged between myself (or is it between me - i should know this...) and bob scott. mister
    scott was a pal of his, a client of mine, and the past president of the philadelphia museum of art. after several rounds
    of correspondence, this (below) arrived in my mail box. it remains the single most important letter i have ever received,
    those from family notwithstanding. at peddie, we learned about community and generosity. note: it wasn't taught, but
    it could be learned atmo. my years at peddie were the catalyst for all that followed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank Richard! Like Alistair said your photos are really important
    a useless emotional attachment?
    well, i am sure you didn't mean that, but - no, they're just things and the only one that ever drives me is the next one atmo.
    i live with each one for almost a week. and conceptually i live with each one for at least as long as it's been a piece of paper.
    perhaps the clients are attached to them, or maybe they're not. it really wouldn't affect what i do at the bench. once i make
    them, they're gone, and i start from the beginning again.
    This really resonates with me! When I first started metalworking I was obsessed with the final product and where it was in the world, then after all these years it slowly dawns on me that the process in my studio is the part I am enjoying and in control of. The furniture and frames and the rest of it go out into the world, but there is no final product because I'm sure the next one will be better!