User Tag List

Page 47 of 103 FirstFirst ... 373839404142434445464748495051525354555657 ... LastLast

Thread: Richard Sachs Cycles

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Richard Sachs Cycles

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    Richard, have you been building some UOS bikes besides the one you did a while back ?
    Yes -

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    Yes -
    How do you pick between UOS and OS ? Or the customer picks ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    How do you pick between UOS and OS ? Or the customer picks ?
    That's too personal (business-wise) for me to answer here. It's a conversation left between me and a client.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

richard,

when you build smaller frames nowadays, do you ever consider using standard tubing diameters at all, or do you feel that such diameters are unsuitable for a modern bicycle ?

also when you build frames with the head lugs so close together, do you find yourself lessening the bottom bracket drop dimensions at all ?

thanks

nathan
    Nathan B Colman

cyclist, amateur framebuilder, campanologist, and general lover of old trains, planes, bikes, cars etc !

Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, England :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NBC View Post
    richard,

when you build smaller frames nowadays, do you ever consider using standard tubing diameters at all, or do you feel that such diameters are unsuitable for a modern bicycle ?
    No, I don't. I have a lighter version of the PegoRichie tubing.

Quote Originally Posted by NBC View Post
    also when you build frames with the head lugs so close together, do you find yourself lessening the bottom bracket drop dimensions at all ?
    Negative.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

--- hey, wade patton --- i believe e-richie has you trumped on the clovers, bet a mega bundle of 4's and a few 5 & 6'ers..
    & the "saffron's bottom" is rest on er' bed..

ronnie with a smile & yard memories..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atmocad,..... I like that. Do you ever use the TLAR* process?
    * TLAR = that looks about right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got news for you atmo, any road bicycle should be equally at home on pavement or gravel.
    #endthefalsezeitgeisthuh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got news for you atmo, any road bicycle should be equally at home on pavement or gravel.
    #endthefalsezeitgeisthuh
    Richard-

I wonder if you'd be willing to explain that a bit? Is this more "a race bike is the best bike for everything" stuff? Or do you have something else in mind?

I’ll start by saying that I find the whole adventure bike, gravel grinder segment more than a little tedious. It smacks of bicycles companies who haven’t produced a significant innovation with any relevance to non-racers in a pretty long time, being eager to sell us brand new bikes with hydraulic disc brakes. All reports indicate that they are fine brakes, if you’re willing to ignore the fact that they’re complicated, heavy, and ugly. That’s just one man’s opinion of course.

I ask because although I have nowhere near the experience with cycling that you do, it seems to me that gravel riding is a bit more fun and probably a bit safer (better handling, braking, and fewer flats) on tires wider than the 28mm which sorta max out the clearance on the vast majority of road bikes. Obviously, you can ride almost anything on a 22mm tire, but my experience has been that it’s a lot less harrowing on 30-36mms. So, I hope you’re willing to expand on your opinion a little.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're conflating tire size and width with bicycles. A road bicycle that has the wheels you want is a bicycle, whether on pavement or gravel. Many of us who have been riding and racing before the term "Brand Manager" was coined have been taking our road (race) bicycles on dirt and pavement for a long (long...) time. If you have any trepidation, get a wider tire. But you do not need a special use, dedicated-for-gravel unit to be part of this new pastime. Short of camping and/or carrying a load, any road bicycle should, and will, fill this gravel fetish that many are going through now atmo. Just get some 25mms, or if you're of the faint of heart, some 28mms.

Quote Originally Posted by Jklash View Post
    Richard-

I wonder if you'd be willing to explain that a bit? Is this more "a race bike is the best bike for everything" stuff? Or do you have something else in mind?

I’ll start by saying that I find the whole adventure bike, gravel grinder segment more than a little tedious. It smacks of bicycles companies who haven’t produced a significant innovation with any relevance to non-racers in a pretty long time, being eager to sell us brand new bikes with hydraulic disc brakes. All reports indicate that they are fine brakes, if you’re willing to ignore the fact that they’re complicated, heavy, and ugly. That’s just one man’s opinion of course.

I ask because although I have nowhere near the experience with cycling that you do, it seems to me that gravel riding is a bit more fun and probably a bit safer (better handling, braking, and fewer flats) on tires wider than the 28mm which sorta max out the clearance on the vast majority of road bikes. Obviously, you can ride almost anything on a 22mm tire, but my experience has been that it’s a lot less harrowing on 30-36mms. So, I hope you’re willing to expand on your opinion a little.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, the tire size is not the bike. I acknowledged that with my comment about the ability to use 22mm for anything. This forum seems to cater to a pretty unique group of people. Very few of us dealing in the realm of need when it comes to our bikes, as no one needs a $5k custom frame.

You seem to recognize that cyclocross is a specialized discipline that justifies a special bike. Meaning that while it’s possible to race cross on a road or mountain bike, it wouldn’t work nearly as well (or be as fun, or competitive) as a dedicated cross bike. Most people who have a sustained interest in racing cross will eventually find a way to get a bike designed for it.

It seems that if you want to make gravel riding a significant portion of your riding, it’s not totally ridiculous to have a bike that is designed with it in mind. The same capability that allows you to ride 22s on gravel will also let you ride 32s on pavement. Try it on your road bike and if you like it and wanna do it a bunch, maybe consider getting a bike built for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jklash View Post
    I agree, the tire size is not the bike. I acknowledged that with my comment about the ability to use 22mm for anything. This forum seems to cater to a pretty unique group of people. Very few of us dealing in the realm of need when it comes to our bikes, as no one needs a $5k custom frame.

You seem to recognize that cyclocross is a specialized discipline that justifies a special bike. Meaning that while it’s possible to race cross on a road or mountain bike, it wouldn’t work nearly as well (or be as fun, or competitive) as a dedicated cross bike. Most people who have a sustained interest in racing cross will eventually find a way to get a bike designed for it.

It seems that if you want to make gravel riding a significant portion of your riding, it’s not totally ridiculous to have a bike that is designed with it in mind. The same capability that allows you to ride 22s on gravel will also let you ride 32s on pavement. Try it on your road bike and if you like it and wanna do it a bunch, maybe consider getting a bike built for it.
    Cyclocross is a sport, with rules and shit, so it's not part of the conversation. At the end of the day, this gravel bike thing is just another SKU for the industry. For those of us who ride and actually make things, a road bicycle with tires that work (for you) is a gravel bike. Past the tires, there are no special changes to make it useful. Like I wrote, camping and extended hours away from the nearest strip mall or WiFi zone is another story.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cyclocross is a sport, with rules and shit, so it's not part of the conversation. At the end of the day, this gravel bike thing is just another SKU for the industry. For those of us who ride and actually make things, a road bicycle with tires that work (for you) is a gravel bike. Past the tires, there are no special changes to make it useful. Like I wrote, camping and extended hours away from the nearest strip mall or WiFi zone is another story.
    Once we clarified the tire thing, I agree with you. The industry is falling all over itself to sell us something we don't need (but some folks obviously want). I think I like my tires (on road or off) a bit wider than most, but this was something Steve Hampsten was easily able to accommodate five years ago now, on what I've always just thought of as a road bike with a little bit of additional clearance. For me, a road bike with room for 28-32mm tires is it. It's not magic or anything, but it'll handle a gravel path, no problem. Thank you for taking the time to explain yourself. I appreciate the ability to have a respectful conversation with on the subject.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too don't see the need for "gravel" bikes.
    There's been "road" bikes for more than a century, and "CX" bikes from a few decades. The latter have higher BB and better clearance for the tyres, together with Cantiliver brake studs it's pretty much all.
    I don't see the need for 36mm tyres, you better use a 29er Mtb then; while a shallow-knobbly 30-32mm tyre on a CX bike makes you blast trough certain sections where a 25mm road tyre would slow you down. It adds a lot of fun, tho
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Practicing for sub-dermal implants??
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gattonero View Post
    Practicing for sub-dermal implants??
    No. We're reenacting The Hunger Games, but using IPAs rather than food atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, I can't believe you called out Mark Campellone! Back in 1979 I had an opportunity to buy a second-hand Mark Campellone fretless basses -- my guitar professor at Berklee Jim Kelly was selling his -- and like an idiot I passed on the opportunity because I couldn't scrounge together the $400 Jim was asking for it (...even though it was probably a $2,000 bass in 1979 dollars). To this day I still kick myself for that.

I've never seen one of his guitars in the flesh, but I understand they're pretty kick-ass too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    Wow, I can't believe you called out Mark Campellone! Back in 1979 I had an opportunity to buy a second-hand Mark Campellone fretless basses -- my guitar professor at Berklee Jim Kelly was selling his -- and like an idiot I passed on the opportunity because I couldn't scrounge together the $400 Jim was asking for it (...even though it was probably a $2,000 bass in 1979 dollars). To this day I still kick myself for that.

I've never seen one of his guitars in the flesh, but I understand they're pretty kick-ass too.
    Ya he's been on the list/page since I began it over a decade ago.