User Tag List

Page 42 of 103 FirstFirst ... 323334353637383940414243444546474849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: Richard Sachs Cycles

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Richard Sachs Cycles

Sacratomato, California..the capital city
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dear e-Richie:

I would appreciate some guidance in dealing with what is said to be one of your
    early 80's frames which recently showed up as in need of a new home and in my
    size here in Sacramento, California. If this is not the proper venue, just delete
    this and please forgive my transgression. I am new to this forum, thus a little lost.

It is stamped along the BB margin (impossible to photograph under the current paint): 745 82 (at least i think it's a 2)

001 copy.jpg003 copy.jpg005 copy.jpg006 copy.jpg

Anyway, it's swell bike, and if it's yours, I thought you'd enjoy seeing it.
    If not, it's still a swell bike, I just need to rework it a little, because the
    rear drops are currently spaced at about 123, which I think is why the
    rear axle was busted. The guy I bought it from said he raced it Cat 1
    here for several years.......which i also thought you'd enjoy if it's yours.

Thanks for any help or information you might choose to provide.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the 74th branded RS frame made. It has the original Behringer I.C. crown that, in the day, was quite revolutionary
    atmo. The shell is likely stamped 62 for the size. I made it for a client of Toga Bike Shop and delivered it in August 1976.

Quote Originally Posted by 3alarmer View Post
    Dear e-Richie:

I would appreciate some guidance in dealing with what is said to be one of your
    early 80's frames which recently showed up as in need of a new home and in my
    size here in Sacramento, California. If this is not the proper venue, just delete
    this and please forgive my transgression. I am new to this forum, thus a little lost.

It is stamped along the BB margin (impossible to photograph under the current paint): 745 82 (at least i think it's a 2)

Anyway, it's swell bike, and if it's yours, I thought you'd enjoy seeing it.
    If not, it's still a swell bike, I just need to rework it a little, because the
    rear drops are currently spaced at about 123, which I think is why the
    rear axle was busted. The guy I bought it from said he raced it Cat 1
    here for several years.......which i also thought you'd enjoy if it's yours.

Thanks for any help or information you might choose to provide.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    This is the 74th branded RS frame made. It has the original Behringer I.C. crown that, in the day, was quite revolutionary
    atmo. The shell is likely stamped 62 for the size. I made it for a client of Toga Bike Shop and delivered it in August 1976.
    .......thank you very much. So is this from the period when you still didn't
    really know what you wanted to do ?

Still a swell bike, no matter how much you've improved over the years.
    62 sounds right, I must have misread the 6.

Do you think it started out spaced at 120, 124, or 126 in the back ?

I guess I can cold set and align it at any of those, but I might as well go original.
    And thanks, really.............if I ever want to decal it again, is that possible ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was 120mm and I do have original decals.
    Thanks atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A full restoration seems to be in order on this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blue boy View Post
    A full restoration seems to be in order on this one.
    .....no offense, but what does that mean exactly ? Whoever had it last had someone put
    what appears to be decent paint on it, I just sprayed a kinda framesaver oil into the interior
    that is the stuff that Steve Rex uses here and recommends, and I'll align it and set the
    spacing and alignment on the drops and fork ends.

Otherwise, I guess decals and whatever componentry I decide to hang on it that is in keeping
    with its general age and time of original glory.......that's about as far as I've ever gone in terms
    of restoring a bike that I plan to ride.....so is that it ? It did have quite a collection of stuff
    on it from various time periods and manufacturers....looked exactly like I remember a racer's bike
    who has no sponsor or team support looking: functional. Well, except for the aforementioned
    busted axle, which was way too long for the frame spacing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    It was 120mm and I do have original decals.
    Thanks atmo.
    Thanks. Let me know where to and how much to send when you get a chance.

Meanwhile, i shall turn my energies to returning it to the road.. thanks for the help,
    as I am not the original buyer and you certainly have other things to attend.

I owe you.........

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Updated atmo -

Richard Sachs Cross Reference

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi. I always like seeing your pictures of CMYK ink registrations you cut from printed boxes, magazines, etc. Would you care to elaborate on this? Just curious, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bryand View Post
    Hi. I always like seeing your pictures of CMYK ink registrations you cut from printed boxes, magazines, etc. Would you care to elaborate on this? Just curious, thanks!

SHOW AND TELL

Printer Tabs atmo - - a set on Flickr

Going back to the early 1980s I began to notice these very interesting color patterns on the back side of box flaps that contain normal household item such as soap, plastic bags, some packaged foods, etcetera. It took a few go-rounds in my head before these ubiquitous color tabs sunk in to my empty head and took root. Before too long, I'd see them everyplace, and when I didn't see them, I searched them out. I'd go through the pantry. I'd go through the pantry at home when I visited my mom in Bayonne, as well as my aunt and uncle in Little Silver. Ya' know that scene in Close Encounters when the peeps are making little mountains with dirt and with their mash potatoes at dinner? Well, that was me with these curious (atmo) pieces of cardboard.

Eventually I started to rip them off the boxes before they were discarded. Then, I decided they all were fair game and I'd rip them off well before the contents were empty. Often, a missing box flap would spell the end of the container's ability to either close or maintain its shape. When the hunt got to that part of the time line, I was a wanted man in the eyes of anyone whose pantry I had recently visited. You heard about cats who stalk women and run up behind them and cut off their pony tails? That was what I became whenever I was in the same zip code as one of these little beauties.

By the time I had at least 500 assorted versions of them, I began to catalog and group them. Soon after that, I would take each and every one and, with a sharp sharp sharp x-acto blade, carefully crop them out into neat little rectangles (or squares, as the case may be). The ritual of spreading out the catch of the week, getting out the cutting mat and some fresh blades, pouring a glass of red, knifing these little bad boys up, drinking even more red, continuing through the evening and squaring up each and every little piece of cardboard - man, to say it all was cathartic would be an understatement atmo.

All of this went on for more than 15 years. Folks who knew of my folly had begun to look through their packages for "...the good ones" that were not common in my collection. It got to the point that I had thousands upon thousands of printer tabs (I DID find out at the front end of all this that these beauties are part of the box printer's registration and bullet marks that ensure a box of Ritz Crackers looks right, as would a carton containing Glad cello bags, or even a six of Rolling Rock. It was odd though, iirc, twelve packs ALWAYS had the better color tabs to mine.

These things took over my life. I'd use them to make hand made thank you notes. All of our (that is - me and my wife, aka The Lovely Deb) wedding invitations all had these as part of the decoration. I even used the little pieces of paper for art projects and had stuff (with them) hung in local galleries. Heck - I even sold some!!

All of the booty has remained untouched for about 6-7 years as my life and interests have moved to other places. But as the deconstruction situation continues here in NoMaChe (the acronym i gave to our district of north main street in Chester), seeing these scores of plastic bags on the back wall of a little used closet has been a nice reminder of a pleasant distraction I once allowed in my life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

--have sitting on our study desk, a framed picture of a lady pasted on fiberboard, sparkles and a color bar/tab with a hand writtnen note in silver ink -- "mr edmiston, thank you for your order.."
    signed richard sachs..

well mr sachs, the story-board is complete..

richie, with many years of respect & smiles..,

ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Señor Ricardo...

When would you gift us all with a book of your thoughts/writtings?

There're so many unforgettable phrases able to be by themselves full stories where to get lost in thoughts and enlightening experiences that if such a physical object ever becomes true it would become impossible to imagine life without it. Directly into the 10 books to repeteadly re-read

It would be the kind of book you can just enjoy by reading any phrase on its own, sometimes even beyond any story or meaning involved, but just the pleasure of getting lost inside the sound, relation or feeling of each word with the ones beside.

You know, a screen is ok, but a paper to touch with ink to smell is superior.

I buy!

Cheers

Edit: And I'm not speaking about framebuilding books! It's about writting for the shake of words

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

--richard sachs time trial bike 1987..
    sloped/curved top tube to head tube..

built for?

thank you,

ronnie with a smile

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ron l edmiston View Post
    --richard sachs time trial bike 1987..
    sloped/curved top tube to head tube..

built for?

thank you,

ronnie with a smile
    Dunno.
    More images > here < atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw that and nearly thought it had been faked somehow. Like a repaint on a Pinarello. But everything in the photos seemed to check out.

How many TT bikes like this one have you built?