Page 2 of 103 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Richard Sachs Cycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Richard Sachs Cycles

Hi Richard, thanks for doing SO. At the risk of sounding like a kiss ass I'd have to say that you were one of the inspirations that led me to pursue this craft and make it my trade.

If you had to distill your experiences in framebuilding into a single piece of advice for us younger builders, what would it be?
    Carl Strong
    Strong Frames Inc.
    www.strongframes.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post

rawesome answer!!!!!!

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    Thanks, Richard. That's it. just "Thanks" - Garro.
    you are welcome, steve.
    keep doing what you are doing atmo.
    if i were an off-road guy, yours is the space i'd want to inhabit.

Quote Originally Posted by crumpton View Post
    i fired my coach years ago. he wanted me to eat pork.
    but it's the new white meat.
    oh wait - franklin county is the new white meat atmo.

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    So, where now? tubing? lugs/castings? any thoughts of opening the queue? one foot in front of the other? how is the new pad? - Garro.
    next?

if i make the time, one project is to take a few of my castings and have the art files adjusted to make parts in the next larger O.D. sizes.
    the richieissimo lugs and crown are both targeted for edits so that i have components for effbuilders who choose larger diameters than
    what are conventionally thought of as OS. the crown would end up suitable for 1 1/8" steerers. these are all dimensions that i don't use,
    but the market is there, other folks build with them, and it's a segment i would like to exploit.

i also expect to continue adding content in the form of texts, images, and inspiration for all who want to follow in the trade. framebuilding
    is a strange mix of art, technology, and alchemy. i fear for those whose only outlet for learning is from a book or a classroom. the learning
    curve for the course couldn't be more like a straight line. my own couldn't be duplicated three decades plus from when i first took it. anything
    i can add to the speed with which others can attain a better and more efficient skill set is something worth putting out there (or here on V as
    the case may be).

and while i may court detractors with this one, another goal i have is to somehow/some way rally the others who are parts suppliers to find a
    more intelligent way to sell framebuilding material to those whose businesses depend upon it. i made a decision 3-4 years ago to sell my RS frame
    parts only to bona fide commercial entities who show some degree of commitment and responsibility by having a comprehensive liability package.
    atmo it's not about production or quotas; it's about being a good corporate citizen. if there's a way to get the others to supply the community
    similarly, i will work towards that end. i give up a lot of orders to noobs and FNGs becasue of my stance, but i sleep well nonetheless. asshat me
    for being a stick in the mud about this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.President View Post
    I think we all admire on some level your relentlessness to be true to your ways and support to your sponsors.
    Has it ever caused you to miss out on something you wish you could have tried, experienced, whatever.
    Also get Deb on here to share her thoughts on your experiences. I would imagine her passion for you and both of your work would be meaningful to many here.
    thanks mister president.
    i wish i was wired to better absorb that which appears in print. it's hard for me to read, and quite frankly, i don't and never have.
    school grades, endless classes, and degrees be damned. if i could only read a page without losing focus in 40 seconds, i'd be a
    happy fucking camper.

and ps thanks to the others who have posted here today.
    Last edited by e-RICHIE; 10-05-2010 at 09:27 PM. Reason: grammer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Richard,
    You seem to have a large collection of nostalgia in the form of print, photo and solid goods. I personally am the polar opposite and tend to toss things away without even thinking about it. Short of some photos that pop up I don't keep stuff around. For example to keep the classified ad that was the stepping stone for your current career seems like you knew this was the start of a journey yet you claim you tripped into this trade. I guess my question is are you a pack rat or did you keep all this stuff over the years for your magnum opus which may be in the form of your studio resurrected in the Smithsonian?

-Drew
    Drew Guldalian
    Engin Cycles
    www.engincycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EnginCycles View Post
    Richard,
    You seem to have a large collection of nostalgia in the form of print, photo and solid goods. I personally am the polar opposite and tend to toss things away without even thinking about it. Short of some photos that pop up I don't keep stuff around. For example to keep the classified ad that was the stepping stone for your current career seems like you knew this was the start of a journey yet you claim you tripped into this trade. I guess my question is are you a pack rat or did you keep all this stuff over the years for your magnum opus which may be in the form of your studio resurrected in the Smithsonian?

-Drew
    i didn't keep it; my mom gifted it to me when she left bayonne for the jersey shore atmo.
    as far as the rest of the paper ephemera goes, i came up in a world when there was no
    digital files so all the mechanical art, overlays, vellum, ad copies, boards, and tear sheets
    that were part of every campaign and brochure simply accumulated in real time. i bet you
    back up your hard drive. i had a head start on you, that's all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

richie:

origin of san pellegrino, twizzlers, altoids and adidas 3 stripers ... in yo present day repertoire ...
    tammy, "hand in the air" for packing sparkles --- luckydog gets in his fur...

always a line when a "atmo toy" care package arrives .. never can tell what'l fall out ...

health, wealth, happiness & podium forever,

ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Richard,
    To say you have been an influence on me is a massive understatement. And to say that you have had a huge hand in helping me secure orders is an even bigger one. There aren't enough thank yous in the world. But here's one more. Thank you.

You are always one step ahead with sales and marketing opportunities for items that compliment the frames and bicycles. Have you always focused on other revenue streams throughout your career? It appears from the outside that you really enjoy creating fervor for your Sachs Toys. Care to share some insight?
    zank
    Mike Zanconato
    Web
    | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Flickr | Tumblr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zank View Post
    Richard,
    To say you have been an influence on me is a massive understatement. And to say that you have had a huge hand in helping me secure orders is an even bigger one. There aren't enough thank yous in the world. But here's one more. Thank you.

You are always one step ahead with sales and marketing opportunities for items that compliment the frames and bicycles. Have you always focused on other revenue streams throughout your career? It appears from the outside that you really enjoy creating fervor for your Sachs Toys. Care to share some insight?
    zank
    sure - thanks.
    first let me post on the classifieds becasue i have some small 'cross bicycles to jettison atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

richard-
    when did you get all up and on the interweb? and why?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i bet you
    back up your hard drive. i had a head start on you, that's all.
    How much? I will bet you 3 rounds at Austin on the answer:)
    Drew Guldalian
    Engin Cycles
    www.engincycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerk View Post
    richard-
    when did you get all up and on the interweb? and why?
    in 1999.
    TLD gifted me a dell inspiron.
    i really have no fucking clue why the rest of this evolved.
    my private life as well as all known rs routines and habits prior to that fateful dell were 180 degrees from the 1s and 0s that have come since.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One question, would you do it all over again?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    One question, would you do it all over again?
    sure - just not in any era except the one i was part of atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Richard, you have achieved Living Treasure status imho.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zank View Post
    Richard,

zank
    there has never been a Richard Sachs Cycles with frames and bicycles only. i've had
    softgoods since year one.

it seemed and seems so normal to brand and find revenue sources away from the bench.
    but while others grow businesses and expand into the ether, i have always worked alone.
    though my accessories and component lines could stand alone and pay the bills, i remain a
    framebuilder first and everything else second through last. most folks work hard so that they
    won't have to work hard; as long as no one else makes my frames or even touches them, i
    will have callouses and a backlog atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and while i may court detractors with this one, another goal i have is to somehow/some way rally the others who are parts suppliers to find a
    more intelligent way to sell framebuilding material to those whose businesses depend upon it. i made a decision 3-4 years ago to sell my RS frame
    parts only to bona fide commercial entities who show some degree of commitment and responsibility by having a comprehensive liability package.
    atmo it's not about production or quotas; it's about being a good corporate citizen. if there's a way to get the others to supply the community
    similarly, i will work towards that end. i give up a lot of orders to noobs and FNGs becasue of my stance, but i sleep well nonetheless.
    Gets it!!!

From someone who has never filed a miter in anger I respect this stance. If you wanna play the game, ante up. It just makes sense.
    Thanks for giving those of us, builders and not, a place to get together and share something we all enjoy so much.

Jayme

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, you're view count in a day is going to pass mine for a week. I suppose that's 'cause you're Richards Sachs and I'm not! Richard, thanks for posting up on SO and I am really enjoying it. My question is, I heard someone say "Richard says he hasn't built enough frames to miter with anything other than a file". Is that true? I suppose I'm paraphrasing, but I'd sure love to hear it straight from the man himself. I'm doing all my miters with files, still haven't tried to do them any other way. I enjoy cutting them by hand.
    Last edited by PCW; 10-05-2010 at 04:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I remember the first time we spoke. You called match to talk about something. Martin told me "Richard Sachs is on the phone for you." I'm like WTF! Anyway, I'm glad you called and consider you a pal and mentor. Thanks. Before I get too sappy- got any good stories you want to share about the Whitcomb USA days?

How many National Championships were won riding your bikes?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ron l edmiston View Post
    richie:

origin of san pellegrino, twizzlers, altoids and adidas 3 stripers ... in yo present day repertoire ...
    tammy, "hand in the air" for packing sparkles --- luckydog gets in his fur...

always a line when a "atmo toy" care package arrives .. never can tell what'l fall out ...

health, wealth, happiness & podium forever,

ronnie
    have a hard time expressing what i am seeking, at times -- sorry, ..... but do any or all the above have a sinificant meaning, point/place in time or marketing ...
    not one of yo sponsors ..
    or just jems from yo pantry or likes..

ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Richard,

From Houston 1.0 (may it live forever) you encouraged me, made me feel like a pro and a peer. I can't quantify if or how it helped but I do know it was very helpful.
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram
    "Tradition is a guide, not a jailer" —Justin Robinson
    "Mastery before Creativity"—Nicholas Crumpton 2021