Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Villin Cycles

Quote Originally Posted by WadePatton View Post
    Yo, congrats on the new one.

Now, I was wondering if you'd discuss your metal working with an overview of your interest in the layered metals and the path you took to learn and employ it into some of your frames. As I told you when we first met, I had been pursuing sources for decorative layered metals, never thought to make my own. As usual, my cart sticks way out in front of the horse. (rear hoof drive).
    Wow, Thats a whopper Wade. Ill do my best.
    While spending one fine spring day skipping school at the beach I happened appon a lovely large bikini top floating at my ankles. Oh, Wait a minute, that was another story.
    The one about the metal starts at an art show in Atlanta just after the turn of the century. This one also involves bikini tops but 'm gonna skip that part. I had been invited to DJ the show by my friend Ray. He once told me , while standing at the sink sipping some whisky, " When I was a kid, my grandma was stanin at the sink lookin at me, she was lookin at me real hard n I was waitin for somthin special, She looks at me n she says, (with a thick spanish accent) When I drink, --I drink by the sink". Ray owned the gallery and talked allot and the ladies loved him. one of those ladies was an artist he had invited to do the show. Her name was Vivian. She was thin, pail and pointy. Her satin black hair stuck out from her head like she had just stuck her tung in a light socket and liked it.
    She had made a ring that, at first glance looked flawed to me. Appon closer inspection. however, I realized that what I took for flaws in the finish were actually different color stripes in the metal formed by mixing platinum and white gold. it was her only Mokeme peace. She said she was just starting to get good at it and proceed to show me several photos of herself naked. Well thats what i wanted but the photos were just of knives and other jewelry made by artists that she liked.
    At that time I was like a fish outa water with respect to building and metal work in general but her work relay stuck with me. As I learned more about the practical aspects of mitering, welding, and frame stuff in general I researched Mokeme Gane and forge welded steel more in depth but having bit off more than I could chew already with the frame building I didn't pursue forging, besides, I didn't have a forge or anvil or any of the practical knowledge required to start.
    Then I met Steve Bloom. Steve is a retired material Science Engineer. You wouldn't want to see him in a bikini. But you might, very well, want to let him teach you about smiting.
    Steve and I were introduced by a chicken hawk of a woman named Lisa. She had just read an article about me in the Gainesville Sun. She called under the pretense of introducing me to a local blacksmith named Steve. She said he would be very interested in what I do. I reciprocated. She then proceeded to hit on me all the way to Archer and then later all the way back home. Tellin me that she had never relay respected her ex husband and that i should come for a swim. I thanked her for introducing me to Steve and haven't seen her since. About a week later I called Steve and asked If I could come help him out with his current projects and he said sure. he asked that I bring some cash for propane and some dark beer for afterward.
    Its been three years since then. Not to sound cheesy but it was one of the very few things that felt to me like it was just meant to happen.
    The first Damascus he helped me make I turned into HT badges. When I got better at it I used the forge welded steel (1095 steel and pure nickel in my case) for gussets and dropouts like the ones pictured next to my name. Last year I decided to use some of it to hold some tubes together on a bike. I wanted to have the frame done for the Richmond show. I couldn't finish it in time but brought it any way. Maybe it was a mistake to show an unfinished peace (1/2 painted) but it was to unique not to bring.
    Rite now I am experimenting with Copper and pure Nickel. So far Iv made some HT badges, Some cable guides and one very rough lug. The real issue for me is how much time it takes to make just the Mok or damasks let alone all the cutting, grinding, sanding, polishing, and soaking in ferric chloride to develop the texture, then, perfect welding because once you have achieved the texture any more sanding will flatten it out, then masking and painting. The white one at the show in richmond took four months start to finish (its purple, and white with silver lettering finished) So price becomes, well you see where Im goin.
    Thats the short PG version Wade. Hope it worked man. Let me know if you are interested in technical info (the order of operations is the most important part) for your personal use and Ill give you all the advice I can. Its not that hard it just takes a huge chuck of time.

Cheers,
    Lex
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by lex; 09-27-2010 at 02:23 PM.