Thread: Villin Cycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Villin Cycles

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I just realized the Gainesville race is in December, you must have been looking at the road schedule. I'll send you the revised schedule, but I'm all in no matter.

now for a question.........

I am very interested in what you do with fabrication and metals, just not interested in me doing it which begs this question in my mind. How do you view your part of the niche? Do you want to be perceived as someone who does very special things or a builder who does everything?
    Still a go for me. Ill be here the whole month of dec. Ill keep my eye out for the schedule.

As for your question;
    I think it changes with time.
    Iv given up trying to make the niche persieve me and what I do a certain way. Now I just do what I do and and let the nich decide for its selfe.
    The niche is weird and fickle any way. I think that being aware of how it perceives you, at any given time, is the important part.

Heres an example, I'v developed my Single Speed Trail Bikes more thoroughly than any other kind of bike I make. It is, by far, the most refined platform in my line up. If I could have it my way I would make Trail Bikes 80% of my business. I love them! I ride them almost every day, usually alone, but most of the attention I get Is due to the unique metal work I do... you get the picture

So, as I get older and start to hit my stride, if all goes well, the niche will allow me to Narrow my focus and produce mostly Trail bikes incorporating small amounts of Mokeme here and there. For now, I still have allot of growing to do not to mention a family to support and haven't developed the privilege of being to picky, yet.
    When you come up in Dec. I'll be happy to show you the works. Im feeling pretty comfortable with the forged metal and what its appropriate for now. I just started making a set of Mok. cable guides this morning.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey guys, I just got written up in a local paper called the Alligator by a smart young lady by the name of Kat Bein. Even though Kat had a little trouble with the quotes it was no big deal. I cant blame her relay. I did make her drink several beers. We had a good time, she asked some great questions and she was very accommodating with my schedule. Check it out!Bike builder turns work into art - The Independent Florida Alligator: Features

Also; Kat has a blog called Wet Paintfreshwetpaint.com Give it a look.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

great reading lex ---
    enjoyed the gatorville "greek life," too --- damn sae thieves and some frat rats got sexual battery charges at their house -- bet it's them " lamb chops..," begg'n for a legg'n ...

ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, Chumpelstilskins! If you ask me, their fathers deserve the one two.

BTW,since you keep threatening to come to town, this weekend my buddies and I are throwing our annual blowout ride. This year is the tenth anniversary. 73mi of on and off road brutality with a keg at the lunch stop and gawd knows what at the finish line party. Peter, our finish line party boy, usually just gets a couple of good kegs, a band and a ton of food but he claims to have "Done it up rite" for #10. Love to see ya at the party or on the ride.

Lex

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey jonathan, we need to hike our ass's up to lex's -- now that's a real lunch stop re-watering..
    bet on rody'n on down at finish line hubabuba..

ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello All,
    My wife Robin and I would like to welcome the newest member of our family into the world. Valerie G Dold. She was borne three weeks ago tomorrow at 5:05 pm and weighed 8lbs 12 oz. Both mother and Baby are healthy and happy.
    Im just now coming out of the added responsibilities only baby land can challenge a fully grown adult with and am only short a few hours of sleep for it. For now Im getting back to work.

A few new things besides the birth are happening..
    I will be signing the lease on a new 2500 sq ft studio space fri that has a pro paint booth, and a full wood shop in addition to my Metal shop. Some of the cooler things about the space are that it is, surpassingly enough, down town and has an adjoining 900 sq foot gallery space on the corner of 2nd st which is the main bike artery from the campus to down town (10ft bike lans going both ways)
    We (my old friend Aaron Kunkel and I) have been working on this deal and the accompanying funding for well over a year now and are almost in disbelief that it is happening (believe me when I say "its not easy to get a loan these days") of corse I will still be building the high end rigs, the new part of our operation will be introducing a more economical, Tig welded, line of bikes, starting with just frame sets and later moving on to complete bikes to complement the existing Villin line. The space will also be a fully functional bike shop, Repairs exct with portion of the gallery floor dedicated to special projects, furniture, wall peaces, installations exct. done by myself and other local artists. We are shooting for july 15th as an opening date. That will give us the time we need to organize the shop and build up our inventory.
    Story at 11...

Lex
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congratulations!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lex,

Is it the place over by Boca and Big Lou's? Regardless, congrats.

I hope it kills (you know, in a good way),

Neal

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Eric!

Neal,
    Its on the corner of 6th and second rite next to Anthem Tattoo.
    The gallery space is going to be #108 and the wear house in the back is 100.
    I plan on killin it!
    Thanks!
    Lex-

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123