Thread: Huckleberry Cycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Huckleberry Cycles

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Matthews View Post
    ha- what's funny is that before I got my leg broken last month, I was finalizing a couple t shirt designs with my sticker guy. Basically, it was my new logo on the back and a curved tt mtb on the front with, you guessed it, the words "I'm your huckleberry" under it. My grandfather used to say it and Tombstone cemented the cool factor for me. So does that mean great minds think alike or it's all been done before? ;)

Speaking of things that have been done before, what builder(s) do you look to the most for direction/inspiration for your continuing ed at Internet Tech?
    Oh man, I dont' know what to say, other than put me down for the first 3 or 4 if you ever have them made. If it's any consolation, I wrote my lead out several months ago when I finally got the nerve to sign up and the domain has existed for even longer.

As far as inspiration goes, I feel like i'm on my way to developing my own solid style, I just want to make sure its realistic to pursue by not making some impossible to replicate detail my signature move. I look at different builders not so much for the details but more for how thier style developed into what it is today. I like Garros take on building bomb proof stuff that he knows will work day in and day out in all conditions. It's important to remember that I'm still really green at this, and like has been said before, how can I know what I don't know? Most important I guess is that I'm enjoying the process and taking it as it comes.

Thanks for the questions,
    Jake

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, man - great meeting you at the fat 55 - way to throw down! 2nd place overall! - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Steve! glad to see you made it home safe (i'm assuming you're home and back at it)
    We were talking about you here; http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum...cks-17362.html
    Knowing now how you guys roll, I'll bring the party next year if you are planning on coming up.
    later,
    Jake

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey All, I found myself at the bottom of the pile here and figured it was time for a bump. Since my last post in September things have been busy, I made it thru cross season booking a couple of orders along the way as well as signing on as a sponsor for the local cross series Cross Crusade .
    I also have managed with the help of my brother and the enthusiasm of my daughter to put together a 'work in progress' website of sorts where I have been trying my best to chronicle each build for my customers. You can check it out HERE . This has been super well recieved amongst them and I feel that it is energy well spent at this point on my part. Most of all I have just been putting in time at the bench, as Dazza says; "There are no shortcuts". This rings in my head as I find myself making better use of those spare 15 or 20 minute time chunks that pop up during the day.

Anyway, I'll try to keep this thread somewhat current from here on out.
    cheers,
    Jake

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bellman View Post
    Jake
    hey - it's questionable form for me to use this thread for personal stuff but since so much sand has passed through the
    hourglass, i wanted to say hi and it was nice to meet you in person at 'cross natz, however brief the moment was atmo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Jake, if you get a chance sometime and you see something really cool on the architecture front (of yours), I'd love to see it. It may not be just about the bikes, but it's pretty cool to see.
    Craig

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    hey - it's questionable form for me to use this thread for personal stuff but since so much sand has passed through the
    hourglass, i wanted to say hi and it was nice to meet you in person at 'cross natz, however brief the moment was atmo.
    Richard,
    It was nice to connect briefly, there will be other oppurtunities I'm sure.
    later, Jake

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Ryan View Post
    Hey Jake, if you get a chance sometime and you see something really cool on the architecture front (of yours), I'd love to see it. It may not be just about the bikes, but it's pretty cool to see.
    Craig
    Hey Craig, I'm happy to oblige you. There is some cool stuff cooking for this summer, hopefully I'll get a crack at it. Untill then this will have to tide you over.
    This is a stairway I was hired to build in an existing house last summer which was undergoing a huge renovation.
    It is built from solid Oregon white oak that I had milled 5 years ago. The landing is laminated from 5"x 9 1/2" x 11' beams, it was built nearly in position then trimmed and slid into place then shored and built around.
    The treads were built from 3- 17/4 pieces each and as with the landing they were grooved with a full length 1/2" wide kerf and splined with an oak chine.
    The posts are 6x6 Select grade, free of heart center Douglas fir. Each tread is spaced from the post about a 1/4"
    The existing white oak floor was stained white as were the treads and landing, the fir posts were stained black, this created a beautiful effect with the natural mix of hard and soft grain in the fir. The hard is somewhat shiny and the soft more matte.
    I think the job is getting close to wrapping up and they intend to do a professional shoot of the entire project. I'll post a link or photos if or when I get them.
    I know its not bike stuff but I'm like you, I love looking at pictures.
    cheers,
    jake
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bellman; 03-05-2011 at 10:44 PM. Reason: forgot pictures!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice! I always figured being a good carpenter is harder than being a good framebuilder so good on you!
    "It's better to not know so much than to know so many things that ain't so." -- Josh Billings, 1885

A man with any character at all must have enemies and places he is not welcome—in the end we are not only defined by our friends, but also those aligned against us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Archie, maybe there's hope for me after all.
    Speaking of looking at pictures, I've been drooling me up some Anvil flickr these days :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Jake,
    It was nice to visit your shop today. I posted it on the signal blog. Have a look! And there are 20 pictures on our flickr page too.

Also a question, where does Bellman come from?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cardinal View Post
    Hey Jake,
    It was nice to visit your shop today. I posted it on the signal blog. Have a look! And there are 20 pictures on our flickr page too.

Cool stuff!
    I had a hoot hanging out with Jake in OR last year - in the rain - classic OR.
    That's a bad ass cycle truck! - Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plus one on all of this- Jake has been giving me a hand with some TIG and sheet metal work.

Thanks, Jake!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Jake,

Thanks Matt, that was a nice visit- it was good to connect.

I saw the blog posting today, thanks for the sweet write up and all the pictures. You make it look so easy.

I've kept the name bellman from the old frameforum days, I've made and sold a couple hundred cowbells of varing design at the cross races over the years thru the fryshack and it was just the name I filled in when I signed up.

I should probabally change it so it's easier to make the connection between me and Huckleberry cycles.

Feel free to stop in anytime you're out this way, there's some good rides out here and it's nice to have a place to pitstop on your way back to town.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    Cool stuff!
    I had a hoot hanging out with Jake in OR last year - in the rain - classic OR.
    That's a bad ass cycle truck! - Garro.
    Good times Steve! and not the last I hope, Are you coming up again this year for the race?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good times Steve! and not the last I hope, Are you coming up again this year for the race?
    Nope - seeing D's family in WI this year. My great friend Aki from Osaka will be there - he's a blast. Get the local gang to take you to the local pump track & the pub.
    Also, ride Moon Point & the alpine trail if you get a chance - bunchgrass, too.
    DO NOT go to Oakridge without having breakfast at Manning's Cafe & call a day ahead & order a marrionberry pie to go - you won't be bummed. Best in the West. - Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nope - seeing D's family in WI this year. My great friend Aki from Osaka will be there - he's a blast. Get the local gang to take you to the local pump track & the pub.
    Also, ride Moon Point & the alpine trail if you get a chance - bunchgrass, too.
    DO NOT go to Oakridge without having breakfast at Manning's Cafe & call a day ahead & order a marrionberry pie to go - you won't be bummed. Best in the West. - Garro.
    Garro knows Oakridge.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Garro knows Oakridge.
    Yeah, buddy! Seven creampuffs, yo, plus months of hanging out. Oakridge needs a frame builder... - Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, buddy! Seven creampuffs, yo, plus months of hanging out. Oakridge needs a frame builder... - Garro.
    I can't move there but as of two minutes ago Huckleberry cycles just launched its 'Free delivery to Oakridge Oregon' program :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't move there but as of two minutes ago Huckleberry cycles just launched its 'Free delivery to Oakridge Oregon' program :-)
    I would have moved there myself yrs ago but for the fact that I can catch poison oak by just looking at it & it has a tad too much liquid sunshine for me. - Garro.
    www.coconinocycles.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast