Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Two Part Epoxy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Two Part Epoxy

I want to epoxy an aluminum shim into a a steel seat tube. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good epoxy? I'd like one that can handle the heat of a powdercoat oven if possible.

Thanks!
    - Ben

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Two Part Epoxy

I would check out the 3M website. I used to use a 2 part metallicized epoxy for building up intake and exhaust ports on the motors that were being developed. The stuff was very heat resistant and if the surface was prepared correctly there were never any failures. The hard part was getting the survace prepped correctly.

KMO

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do Powdercoating ovens run at? I seem to remember 300-400F? Many 2 part structural Epoxy Resins cure at those temperatures. Try some basic 5/60 Minute Epoxy from Home Despot, and see if you can run it through a thermal cycle, I would bet it survives just fine.

General rule of thumb for epoxies... Never take your part above what it was cured at, it can go liquid and re-set.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick 2C -- many epoxies do not tolerate heat well. If you could bond post p-coat, options broaden. Bonding Al can be tricky, all about surface prep. Given what I imagineis your spcifc app, you'll have a lot of surface area relative to load. West G-flex might be worth a look in your application. Like anything, there's a learning curve...
    Best, J

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick 2C -- many epoxies do not tolerate heat well. If you could bond post p-coat, options broaden. Bonding Al can be tricky, all about surface prep. Given what I imagineis your spcifc app, you'll have a lot of surface area relative to load. West G-flex might be worth a look in your application. Like anything, there's a learning curve...
    Best, J

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've used 3M DP420 on a number of projects. It's not good over 180F long term so might not be good for powder coating after bonding. Most successful bonding come down to proper preparation, cleaning etc.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawe...6EVs6E666666--

I've also used Loctite 380 Black Max single part adhesive. Good to 225F and really strong if you follow the guidelines. I assembled a mountain bike fork using aluminum dropouts and crown with Aermet100 legs. I could not pull it apart even after being in use for 3 years.

Loctite 380 Black Max Instant Adhesive, Toughened - Full - Henkel

Is it possible to bond the sleeve post coating?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JB Weld is solid up to 500 degrees. I've used it to repair an Eames rocker chair bonding rubber to fiberglass. That stuff is solid. I've heard that it can be used as a pinhole filler for powdercoating too, but I'm not 100% sure about that. Anyone else use it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why do you need to bond it? grease will work as long as it has a lip to keep it in place. if you want it to never come out how about loctite sleeve retainer? that's what you are doing - retaining a sleeve. green or red aughta work. {damn. now I want a plate of enchiladas.......} - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cardinal View Post
    JB Weld is solid up to 500 degrees. I've used it to repair an Eames rocker chair bonding rubber to fiberglass. That stuff is solid. I've heard that it can be used as a pinhole filler for powdercoating too, but I'm not 100% sure about that. Anyone else use it?
    can't answer this, but must say that i'm quite familiar with the product. great for putting atb shoes back into service. a rubber/plastic junction atmo.