Quote Originally Posted by YiPsan View Post
Drew,

Really nice to read more of your path. I don't know if you remember, I had a great conversation with you on the way out of Portland on the train, it was a great way to end that long weekend.

What is the split between orders through your shop vs. internet ones?
If Belmont Wheelworks is your inspiration, any thought on a second store, or a chain?

Cheers,
Renold,
I remember the ride and it was equally nice to chat with you. I also remember they never charged us for the ride and it was outside the free zone.

The storefront goes in waves with orders. This spring I will be delivering 4 bikes in a row all to local people. They are friends that seem to have made their order decision together (sucks for the last one to make the order since it will be a solid month after the first woman gets hers). The internet sales are interesting to follow and it always seems to go against the trends of retail. Post NAHBS is always a great time for inquiries and orders. The heavy season of riding is always the slow season for foot traffic which is almost a blessing since the balance of sanity and working is a fine line and getting out for the occasional ride is always welcome. My riding has really suffered recently but I still maintain some miles with my commuting. Lucky for me the commute can include single track on the road bike which is always good for a head turning!

I had a great talk with Peter Mooney at San Jose NAHBS and he was very candid with me and told me so many things that have since been correct. His multiple stores is one part I have no interest in following. I more like how he has combined being a good traditional shop as well as a pro shop. Lots of good folks came out of those stores.

-Drew