Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Engin Cycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Engin Cycles

I'm definitely trying those out when they are available to us scrubs. Thanks for putting the work in.
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In an attempt to keep this thread from the depths of the 2nd page I figured this was a good time for an update. I am making a 29R for Josh (TooTall) and have some photos to add for your viewing pleasure. This bike will hopefully get the crap beat out of it and I look forward to what Josh has to say about my design and execution for a large rider. A little info. I did not use crazy oversized tubes and went with thicker wall instead. I prefer the dent resistance and how it will be less likely to fold if he hits it on the side in a crash. The bike has a 27" top tube so all the tubes are REALLY long. It is a complete package including a stem, bars, seat post and rigid specific fork. If Josh likes the bars I will make a new pair in Ti. Some photos:

The rest of the photos

Thanks for reading.

-Drew
    Drew Guldalian
    Engin Cycles
    www.engincycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drew - Lovin it! I will order one of your 29ers someday soon.

Josh - I want to see this one in the real world. When you are ready to ride Rosaryville or that local IMBA epic, just let me know!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like I'm ready Bill.
    Drew, what's your thinking on front end geo? I stayed out of the design process, it's an Kenny Rodgers thing, and rely on your instincts and experience. I like what I see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drew, what's your thinking on front end geo? I stayed out of the design process, it's an Kenny Rodgers thing, and rely on your instincts and experience. I like what I see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Josh,
    Since I have a pre-existing seatpost design that already has 5mm of set-back the seat tube angle is dictated by putting the saddle set-back in the right spot and a saddle centered on the rails. So as you can see the seat angle is kind of on the slack side. Next is the crazy long top tube (somewhat dictated by the slack seat angle) which goes up to a front end that has a slightly steeper head angle and lower fork rake compared to someone that is say 5'10". The BB height is taller to accommodate the 180mm cranks and keep the pedals from smashing on the rocks. All in all it should be a stable bike that can be ridden with lots of body english. It won't feel sluggish and requires you to have some skill. The super slack front ends that are popular are not my thing. It has a place on big hit bikes but not for XC use.

Make sense?

Cheers,
    Drew
    Drew Guldalian
    Engin Cycles
    www.engincycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EnginCycles View Post
    Josh,
    Since I have a pre-existing seatpost design that already has 5mm of set-back the seat tube angle is dictated by putting the saddle set-back in the right spot and a saddle centered on the rails. So as you can see the seat angle is kind of on the slack side. Next is the crazy long top tube (somewhat dictated by the slack seat angle) which goes up to a front end that has a slightly steeper head angle and lower fork rake compared to someone that is say 5'10". The BB height is taller to accommodate the 180mm cranks and keep the pedals from smashing on the rocks. All in all it should be a stable bike that can be ridden with lots of body english. It won't feel sluggish and requires you to have some skill. The super slack front ends that are popular are not my thing. It has a place on big hit bikes but not for XC use.

Make sense?

Cheers,
    Drew
    You should paint on the top tube in large font !!!HEADS UP!!!
    Yeah I get it.
    Good call / read wrt to setback. I provided you with my contact points from my fav. road bike which I JUST had A.Bold add setback to and am happier.
    (Chuckle) I'll prob. still slam the saddle back. Sorry Drew.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drew,

Thanks for the cool CX bike and for going the extra 10 or 12 miles to make some of my goofy parts picks work together. Been out in the mud to play and learn some skills and it's a hoot.

First race in a few weeks...

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    You should paint on the top tube in large font !!!HEADS UP!!!
    Yeah I get it.
    Good call / read wrt to setback. I provided you with my contact points from my fav. road bike which I JUST had A.Bold add setback to and am happier.
    (Chuckle) I'll prob. still slam the saddle back. Sorry Drew.
    Josh-man, is this bad boy built yet?
    Start slow, then taper off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jamesand View Post
    Josh-man, is this bad boy built yet?
    Yo Jim I saw this bike in the flesh today. It is very nice.

Some details that jumped out at me were that the segmented fork is awesome, and the TT/ST/CS cluster is really, really clean.

When inspecting the bike I grabbed the saddle and was rewarded with a a greasy handful of TT's chamois cream. Yum!

All in all a sweet machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The bike is killer and I'm seriously time constrained. I've got pics, interview, video and genetic material ready to exploit. I promise, soon.
    Eddie got to see me post tyre shred. I've got about 100 miles on the new sled and don't want to ruin your calm by saying it probably redefines everything an very large offroad bike should be OR could I? Yeah, it's crazy good.
    Teaser: Drew asked me if I wanted suspension. Me: you smoking crack? It's an 29'r the tyres and my arms are the suspension. Drew: GOOD.
    Mtn bikes are dead. 29rs for big kids made by Drew will rule the world.
    More to come....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sweet reports, gents. VT trails are still open up here! I can't wait to hear more about this big, bad mutha.

I don't think Drew/Engin cuts any corners, and I can imagine this thing is DIALED.
    Start slow, then taper off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couple shots after a practice session. Have about 120 acres of farm and mud next to our property.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice video, shop needs more tools though! ;)

I know this should be in the video-drome as well, but I can't post there.

Sean Patrick Smith
    Lead Hobbyist
    Easkey Bikes
    Modesto, CA USA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drew,
    I see on your blog that you're now building with titanium...how has that learning curve been versus steel? Did your background help you get up to speed faster or is it a whole new world regardless of past experience?
    Will you be updating your website pricing to reflect the new materials?

The latest work looks great.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some more Drew hotness I saw on his blog. New dropouts!

8229974425_84d40e09cb_z.jpg

8231037878_375165e712_z.jpg
    OldGloryMTB.com | American Made Mountain Biking

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Were to start. It has been a very long time since I have participated in this forum (really almost any forum). I wanted to spend less and less time on a computer both at work and at home. I have all but removed any online activity once I walk away from the shop. That darn smart phone makes it near impossible to not check e-mail. I still contribute to my Flickr site and found Facebook to be a really easy way to add content so people know I am always working and trying to make things better. I have been working almost exclusively in titanium which has been a great experience. I love the material and what it offers to the design of my bikes. My 5 year goal is that all my bikes will be titanium. That decision is based on the fact that I can finish a product from start to finish without needing the assistance of a finisher. Todd has painted all my steel bikes and done a great job but the control freak in me prefers doing things myself. I have no interest in learning how to paint or setting up a booth in my shop.

In time I might find a way to add content more often (not hard since I think it has been 2 years). Til then here is a photo I received today from a happy customer after their madden voyage on the tandem.

065.jpg

Thanks for reading,
    Drew
    Drew Guldalian
    Engin Cycles
    www.engincycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome back Drew.

F/S Ti Mtn bike?

--Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Welcome back Drew.

F/S Ti Mtn bike?

--Mark
    Mark,
    First thing I want to say (based on a comment I read you made elsewhere) is that I am still active in my trade and offer assistance and advice to anyone that wants to contact me directly. I field many e-mails and always try to help when I can.

Full suspension?? Man that is a topic I speak about often. Another part of my 5 year plan is to own a VMC and bring more and more of the making of my bicycles in my control. Adding this will require a ton of time and investment. I consider myself rather useful around machine tools. Not a machinist but I try and practice proper use and safety. Getting a VMC is a completely new set of skills that I do not have. I am willing and looking forward to it but still a virgin in the category of CAD/CAM (more so the CAM). If this machine happens and I get good at using it the full suspension bike will be right after I begin making all my own drop outs. I have some ideas but they are useless till I can make the parts myself. If it does happen I can assure you it will be based around the 650B wheel.

Cheers,
    Drew
    Drew Guldalian
    Engin Cycles
    www.engincycles.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the good words Drew. It was terrific to catch up at NAHBS.
    Next year you are at Ballers Ride for sure ok?